• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stinie is tired of being fat!

Stinie

Hi everyone :sign0144:
I'm considering having weight loss surgery and I wanted to do a bit of googling about the gastric band in particular (my other half makes fun of me because I'm always googling things lol)

I came across this site and I've been having a read through some of the posts etc and I have learned a lot already - it's good to get a more personal perspective of the whole thing instead of just the bare facts about the surgery itself.

Anyway, I have been overweight since I was a teenager so I don't really remember what it feels like to be "normal" weight. Perhaps that's why I've let myself get to this stage? Im 30 years old and I weigh about 23 stone :cry:
I have been on countless diets throughout my adult life - all of which resulted in a weight loss soon to be followed by an even bigger weight gain.

I am tired of:

- having to pay a fortune in the "fatty department" of shops and only being able to find tent-like tops and elasticated waist trousers.

- not being able to fit into amusement rides

- worrying about whether the chair I'm sat on is gonna collapse under me

- people staring at me when I eat, as if to say "look at the fatty stuffing her face"

- the self loathing guilty feeling you get after eating forbidden food

- wondering if I use more petrol than other people because I weigh the car down :rolleyes:

- not being able to walk and talk at the same time without getting out of breath and sweating like a pig

- feeling unsexy

- asking for an extension belt on airplanes

- not being able to wear high heels

- worrying about whether I'll end up with diabetes, heart problems or other obesity related health problems

- and a million other things

I feel like my weight is putting a limit on how much I can enjoy life - I know I only have myself to blame but it is soooo hard to get on the right track.

The thing that has made it even worse is that my man and I would really like to have a baby. I have PCO (I think!?) It was diagnosed in my early 20's but I am being tested again now as my current doc said that the previous tests weren't conclusive?! I am not really sure now if I have it or not - either way I haven't had a period in years which obviously means I can't conceive. I know it could just be due to my weight so I'll wait and see what the doc says. She has referred me to the weight management team and mentioned a gastric band as one of my options.

I am not even sure if I am even eligible for a band. I have thought about having one before but never really knew much about it. After my doc mentioned it to me about a month ago I have been thinking about it all the time - been online to read about it etc and trying to imagine what my life would be like if I had the band. My man is very supportive but I'm pretty sure he's fed up with me rambling on about it all the time :p

Anyway... Enough about me for now :D

I am finding all your posts on this site very inspirational and helpful :flowers:

Good luck to everyone on here :party0011:

Stinie xx

Last edited:
Hello Stinie and welcome. Your post could have been me twenty years ago - and I am still worrying about these things (but hopefully not for much longer). I'm not going to say that I have wasted my life being fat - because I haven't. But if I could turn the clock back twenty years and have weightloss surgery, I would. I am almost six weeks post-surgery and it is the best decision I have ever made. So if this is what you want to do - go for it.

Hi Stinie and welcome. Im sure you will get all the advice you need on here, and support, you can ramble on to us instead!

Hello Stinie
believe me your thoughts were and is are my thoughts too we all think like that from time to time ,I will say ,go and read some of the log in here all frank and honest about all areas of WLS and are all helpful in helping you to think about the next move
good luck in all you wish for

Hi and welcome!!

I think all the things you've written!!

Research all the procedures (Band, Sleeve, Bypass) long term benefits, success rates etc... When I first went for surgery options I thought I wanted a band, however soon changed to a permanent, life-long solution - for me a sleeve (as I too want a child and bypass malnutrition risks worried me, although many have successful pregnancies with either)

look into all options and you'll be clearer on whats best for you, your future and lifestyle/eating habits xxx

Good Luck xx :D

Thanks guys it's very reassuring to hear from you all xx

Hi hunni a very warm welcome to a fab site :) everyone is lovely and helpful..... and i echo all they have said :) do your research and see which procedure suits you best. Like Chrisy I too wish id done it 20 years ago........ unfortunately i left it far too late to have children, so please don't waste time. I wish you all the very best...... gl x x x

Hi Stinie and welcome to the forum :) You say your GP has referred you to a weight management team? Is that the same as a referral for weight loss surgery?

If not, I would advise you to ask for them to get the ball rolling, that way, you will find out what type of surgery they would be willing to offer you as they may not offer the band or you may not be suitable.

You would also get to chat with the dietitian and the surgery team and don't forget, you can always change your mind and not go through with the surgery if you don't feel it's right for you.

I wanted a bypass but was told I wasn't suitable and ended up having a sleeve instead.

The most important thing to remember is that the surgery is a TOOL ONLY and not a cure - you will still have to put in the work, but one thing you can count on, is lots of support from this forum.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi Stinie and welcome to the forum :) You say your GP has referred you to a weight management team? Is that the same as a referral for weight loss surgery?

If not, I would advise you to ask for them to get the ball rolling, that way, you will find out what type of surgery they would be willing to offer you as they may not offer the band or you may not be suitable.

You would also get to chat with the dietitian and the surgery team and don't forget, you can always change your mind and not go through with the surgery if you don't feel it's right for you.

I wanted a bypass but was told I wasn't suitable and ended up having a sleeve instead.

The most important thing to remember is that the surgery is a TOOL ONLY and not a cure - you will still have to put in the work, but one thing you can count on, is lots of support from this forum.

Let us know how you get on.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure what I was actually referred to. When I spoke to my gp she said that she was referring me so I could discuss my options with them and I just remember she mentioned a band as one of the options. I am going to phone my gp today to ask exactly what she has done and find out what sort of time frame I'm looking at.

I think I'm leaning more towards a band because it seems a bit less scary than the other options and it's reversible. Mind you if I do get a band I can't see myself ever having it taken out again as I have already proved many times that I can't maintain a weight loss on my own. I need a bit of help to keep me on the right track. And as you say, wls is only a tool to help you - I understand that and I don't expect a miracle overnight. I would never even consider anything as serious as a surgery if I wasn't as desperate as I am and determined to put a lot of effort in to improve my life. I can't go on like this anymore - everyday there's something I can't do or makes me think about my weight holding me back. Especially when we would really like a baby before I get too old as well.

Thank you everyone for all your replies xx

Finally something is happening - I've got an appointment with a dietician in January :)
Is it bad that I am happy it's after Christmas so I can have maybe my last "normal" Christmas meal? (And by normal of course I mean twice as much as a regular person lol)

My gp said I'll have to meet with the dietician and discuss my options with her and she will assess whether I'm suitable for surgery etc.

Xx

Glad things are moving along for you hunni xx

Back