• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Struggling at the minute

jaxx

I probably just need a kick up the backside but I'm struggling at the minute. I've been quite unwell for the last day or two with severe diarrhoea and feeling really nauseous. I'm feeling better this evening and able to eat and drink ok but I'm still feeling down. I'm 3 weeks post op tomorrow and hate life as it is now. I'm fed up of having wind, I'm fed up of small portions (I really miss stuffing my face as sad as that is), I'm fed up of feeling sore, I'm fed up of Fragmin injections, I'm just totally fed up. My hips, knees and ankle joints are aching quite badly at the minute. I thought they'd get better as I lost weight. I'm also cold all the time. My head hunger is still going strong and I'm craving food all the time.

Also I might be struggling because I've not been on my anti-depressants since my op as they're not available in liquid form and I can't crush them as they're supposed to be slow release.

I know I'm still in the difficult 2 months post op but it feels like it's going on forever. I wanted to add a post to the thread asking for good points and bad points about the bypass and I couldn't think of any good points that I'm experiencing at the minute.

Ok let the backside kicking commence.

HI Jaxx may not be any help but I can really empathise with you. I am 5 weeks post op and have been through all that you are going through so at least you know that you are not alone.
I feel cold all of the time even when all the heating is on and everyone else is sweltering! I am resenting that my oh can still eat what he wants and yes I am battling the head hunger. The only thing is it is not everyday now and the more I can do the better I am feeling.
Try to keep focussed and use distraction if you are battling the head hunger. I started feeling better once I stopped the injections - honestly the last 3 days of them I had to force myself.
You will be fine honey I am sure - we can do it!!!!

I'm really sorry to hear you're struggling. Can I ask which anti-depressant you take? I'm assuming Venlafaxine as you mention it's slow release?

Were you aware you can break apart the capsules and sprinkle the granules on a spoonful of apple sauce, but you must not chew the granules, swallow it immediately... this is really important!

Did you discuss stopping your anti-depressants with your GP and have the dose tapered off prior to surgery? You really should not stop them suddenly, some can have very unpleasant withdrawal symptoms indeed.

If this is what's happened then it's no wonder you're feeling so rotten you poor thing {hugs} xx

I felt just like you for a good while after the surgery and I actually totally regretted it for a time but now, three months post-op, I would do it all again in a heartbeat because all of the really niggly issues are falling away. There are some crappy aspects (hair loss etc) but those things are temporary. Just grit your teeth and bear it as much as possible and know that the only way is up!
Steph xx

Hi Twiggie, yes it is Venlafaxine and yes I did stop cold turkey with them. Thing is I was talking with my mental health team about coming off them before my op and they agreed it would be a good idea and as I was feeling crappy just after my op I thought the withdrawal symptoms wouldn't be too bad and they weren't. I don't want to go back on them just to come off them again. I missed an appointment with my psych whilst in hosp so I should contact them for a new one but I've been kinda busy! lol

I guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself and missing my comfort food.

Hi Twiggie, yes it is Venlafaxine and yes I did stop cold turkey with them. Thing is I was talking with my mental health team about coming off them before my op and they agreed it would be a good idea and as I was feeling crappy just after my op I thought the withdrawal symptoms wouldn't be too bad and they weren't. I don't want to go back on them just to come off them again. I missed an appointment with my psych whilst in hosp so I should contact them for a new one but I've been kinda busy! lol

I guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself and missing my comfort food.

Hiya Jaxx, i cannot advise you on the anti depresant side of things but what i can say to you is hang on in there on the bypass side of things. It will get better hun i promise and you will get to the point when the bypass becomes your best mate. You have quite a bit of weight to loose and i know how you feel on that score but 12 months down the line if you work with the bypass a large chunk of that will have gone. Keep your chin up hun. Janey

I had a wobbly tonight. My daughter was sitting beside me eating a pack of cheese and onion crisps. The smell overwhelmed me. I actually licked the bag after!
I left off my anti depressant for a week, and I felt its wrath.
I have had a couple of 'oh f*ck' moments where I have thought, 'what have I done'. I am sure I will have a few thousand more. I am not mentally in a place where I can see myself as slim yet. It is a long process.

Hi I'm sorry you're feeling like that. It does get easier I promise. I am on venlafaxine and I was able to still take my tablet straight after my bypass. Mr Ammori told me they were small enough to not cause any problem. Just take each day by day and gradually you will look back and think OMG how did I get here.

Good luck and please speak to your psych team as I don't think you should have came off your tabs so quickly.

Hi jaxx, I totally agree with Twiggie, I'm not surprised you're feeling the way you are if you've gone cold turkey on the anti depressants. I, as were many others, was told it is absolutely fine to take both tablets and capsules straight away after the op; I did from day 1 and have had no problems at all.

You say you've been too busy to reschedule an appointment with your psych but surely your mental health must take priority? It's hard enough when recovering from major surgery and going through such a life changing process without additional problems.

Regarding the bypass, three weeks post op is still early days hunny and it will take time, but it will become easier and when the weight starts falling off you you will know exactly why you had it done.

Good luck with everything,
Cuppa xx

It's hard to get your head around post-op feelings, isn't it?
It only struck me that this was a permanent change, once I'd had the op. All of that comfort-eating that we did before, to make ourselves feel better, we can't do now. BUT IT WILL GET SO MUCH BETTER!!!

Your clothes start to feel loose
Your shoes feel loose
You notice your face getting slimmer
You're not hungry even though you think you should be
You can touch parts of you that you couldn't reach before

Be easy on yourself sweetie! It's a huge change and you will embrace it, once you turn the corner. Big hugs to you.

Thanks for all your support. I'm still struggling today but I had more energy to get things done around the house which I've never really had much of before hand. I also went for a walk.

One bad thing did happen but it was my own fault. I threw up. Silly me didn't chew her food enough or long enough and I ended up with severe pain in my upper stomach and ended up vomiting. I've managed to keep some food down this evening and I made sure I chewed it thoroughly and took my time over it. Some old habits are hard to change.

Oh sweetheart you really are on a downer right now. It WILL get better for you. There are so many things in your life changing at the moment. All the habits you had when you felt down before have been taken away from you. Now its time to turn the old habits into good ones that will make you feel better and much more in control. Good luck sweetheart and heres the kick up the jacksie you wantedxx:asskick:

Thanks everyone for your support. I'm feeling a little better today. I've noticed I've got more energy and I don't feel like sleeping in the middle of the afternoon like I usually do.

I walked a fair bit today as well, I'm trying to slowly build my stamina back up again.

Thanks again to everyone for your support.

Back