• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

struggling - hoping for some advice :)

sukay

Trying to focus on future
Hi all

Its been a long time since I posted.

Before Christmas I had stayed at the same weight for six months.

I had my RNY surgery on 10th November 2009 -lost around 5 st and then had knee surgery in June 2010. This put paid to any exercise and my activity was extremely low for a couple of months. The knee has healed but still gives me pain if I go too far.

Anyway, over Christmas season I have put on 7 lbs and I am gutted - although I know it is totally down to me and what I put in my mouth.

I was reluctant to post, because I have kept away from the forum due to (what I feel is ) my bad results.

Is anyone else in this position? Stuck at or near the same weight but still having around 2-3 st to lose?

Kind regards

Sue

I'm in the same boat hun:sigh:.

But give yourself a break, you've had a major op and a set back on the weight loss front, you are still at least 4 and a half stone lighter than you once were.
You have no reason to feel afraid of us as we are all on the same journey, some of us are just taking the scenic route.;)

I'm only 7 months post op and the weight loss came to a screaming halt in early November.

I know why - I haven't been doing enough excercise (I suffer chronically with lazyitis), I'm not eating enough protein, and eating far too much carbs ("Potatoes I love you, but you treat me so bad...").

I didn't go to my dietician appointment in late November as I was so ashamed that I'd only lost 2lbs since my previous appointment.

I now know that this was a huge error as I should be asking for help from them not hiding and trying to deal with this by myself.

You know what I've recently realised? I'm human, and as such am imperfect (shocking I know:eek:). So we do need to kick ourselves into gear every now and then, but not beat ourselves up; as that'll have us emotional eaters reaching for the pastries.

Since coming to this realisation I've lost 3lbs - not as much as I want, but better than the 2-3 month stall I'd been on.

I'm listening to my pouch again, not my emotions, I no longer snack - a new habit I'd fallen into. And I'm trying to eat more protein, it may take me a lot longer than others to lose the weight I need to - I'm 13st 1lb and have 2st 6lbs to go before I hit target - but I keep in mind how far I have come, last year at this time I was 18st and 6lbs, and a type 2 diabetic.

Keep your chin up, your eyes on the prize and remember trite sayings are trite because they're often right!

Love and hugs Poppy x

Thanks for replying :)

I feel a litte better since I came back to the forum to be honest.

I am keeping a closer eye on what I'm eating and making sure I eat at least two pieces of fruit a day.

I don't snack as much when I am at work because I am so busy to be honest. Also been to the gym once and managed to jog for 14 mins non stop on the treadmill - despite my surgery (or maybe because of it lol!)

I agree - we are human and by definition can never be perfect, but we have to be realistic and keep trying lol

I have started to post on the daily menus thread to help motivate me :)
http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-recipes-forum/74487-gastric-bypass-daily-menus-80.html#post2314208

Although I havnt stalled I have slowed down a lot and I think you 2 ladies are being very brave and very sensible.

Please dont stay off the site you need it more when you are struggling babes.

Keep going as you say protein first, then veg, then fruit and listen to your little pouch.

You will get there bless you both. xxxx

I'm in the same position hun, so maybe we can motivate each other as we go along:D:D
I'm finding it harder as am cooking for new blokey, whereas before I could just eat tiny bits without having to cook as much:rolleyes:
Am deffo upping the protein and exercise from now on though:D

hiya i am in the same position hun, not gonna say too much more cos it will take forever and, feeling as bad as i do about it talkin about it makes me feel even worse:cry:. Anyway keep on tryin to do the right thing, i tell myself everyday i'm gonna be good, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but i keep on trying. I hope one day to be able to get back on the losing track and lose that last 2 or 3 stone i need to get to my target, thats my aim anyway :eek: It's a case of you just gotta keep trying and hopefully it will pay off :)

resurrecting this and I apologise if I upset anyone. I know there are strong feelings out there against wls patients who aren't successful :(

Anyway, here I am four months on and now have put on a stone. Have no restriction at all and depression is back big time. On the one hand I think it's typical of me and on the other hand I cannot understand what's happened.....

Honestly do not know where to go from here.......

Hi Sukay,

Good on you for posting and reaching out for help. I have been struggling for ages to make better choices although admittedly Im only about 1/2 stone away from a healthy weight. I think if I hadnt been messing around for the last 6 months I'd be there by now.

I started a May challenge thread. Come and join us. You dont necessarily have to set any weight loss targets (although you can if you want) how about committing to not gaining any more, or committing to introduce a few new habits such as drinking more water, or only choosing healthy snacks.

Sorry to hear you are feeling depressed. Have you seen the GP? Dont be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

Keep posting hun. We are here for you x x x

Sukay, i'm exactly the same as you. I stopped losing towards the end of Oct/nov, but i feel it had stopped big time before that. I have now lost 4 stone 11lbs, 8 of which has been the last 4 weeks on weight watchers....

I am astounded by what i can eat. Today i had 60g of fruit n fibre with a bit of pineapple on at 6.30, at 8 o'clock i was sat in the canteen at work polishing off two pieces of wholemeal toast.... How the heck did that happen?

Yet on other times i have a hit of protein (salmon or home made low fat beef burger) and wham restriction!

I don't have the magic answer, all i can say is be true to yourself and never ever feel bad because you think we will judge you. We won't, now use your tool to the best of your ability. There is absolutely no shame or feeling of being unsuccessful by going to a slimming group if that's what it takes to get you where you want to be xxx

thank you both

Yes I have seen the GP - been a sufferer of depression for years on and off.

my husband feels its very strange I should have to go to the lengths of a slimming group when I've had the op :)

I know what you and where you are coming from. Its not the cure of been over weight having the op. I am very very glad I did it.I have been the same wieght now for about a year and lately I lost my Mam and turned to food.The habbit is always there in the back of your head.

You have done the right thing by addmitting you have a problem

I am starting to get back on track or at least this week anyways. I hope you can see the light soon.

Take care

Jo
xx

I am starting to get back on track or at least this week anyways. I hope you can see the light soon.

Take care

Jo
xx

I am not sure what "back on track " is any more lol!

I really don;t have any restriction and have put on a stone since November 2010 :(

thank you to everyone who has answered.

I suppose that "back on track" is watching what I eat. I have had a better day today, but that's down to feeling very unwell and being in bed until 3pm. So no time to eat lol!

well - not sure why but for last two days (wow :( ) I have managed to stick to my calorie allowance and 4 lbs has dropped which obviously will be fluid.

I don;t feel particularly positive, but it hasn't been "painful" eating below calories so maybe that's what's meant by using the "tool" of the pouch?

hiya hun
i am struggling big time at the moment :cry: feeling very low with depression isn't helping i keep reaching for bad things rather than healthy things i.e fruit etc :( i'm not eating properly and just grazing and am even forgetting to take my supplements :eek:
i don't even know what my calorie intake should be :sigh:
Would like to go to Weight Watchers so i can get some encouragement/help and also Gym but at the moment am feeling so depressed i have no motivation/ willpower/enthusiasm/energy etc, feels like i am putting weight on am too scared to weigh myself tho cos if i have then i know i will feel even worse :(
Sorry for being so miserable but just thought i would let you know you are not alone in how you are feeling :(
Sending you big hugs ((()))) xxxx

Hiya, me too, so down and fed up and grazing all day on crisps, chocolate, cakes etc. Why can't I just get back on track?
Had my antidepressants changed, do feel a bit better but still being bad with food choices :-((((

Have you tried the 5 day pouch test if you feel that restriction is a problem? Or the cottage cheese test?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Sukay a big thankyou for posting, I thought I'd written it when I first read it! I'm in exactly the same place and am awaiting knee surgery!
I lost 7.5 stone in the first year and put 1 stone back on in the second :-(
I have read and read and read the forums on this site over the last few days to try and get some answers. I think I need to do the 5 day pouch test and STOP eating biscuits and crisps, ( I KNOW this so why is it so difficult to stop)? and stop drinking with meals so I stop washing the food down and stopping the full feeling. I think sometimes we just have to go right back to the beginning, search our soul for the reasons we did this in the first place and start building all over again. SO tomorrow is going to be day 1 of my pouch test and I've even bought myself a kitchen timer so I can set it to go off 1 hour after I've finished eating and not drink until it pings! I also read that sweeteners can cause hunger pangs so no more for me.
I vowed I would NEVER go back to that awful dark place that my weight kept me prisoner in so I have to do this.
So....
Sukay, Poppy, Candie, shazbrad, Julie and Jan sending love, support and some hugs and if you want to form a support group so we can help each other I'm in!

Good Luck, Katemal .... :) good attitude. Only you can do it & it will be so worth it :) Hoping everyone who is struggling can find their feet again x

I noticed that a few people on here struggling with weight are also struggling with depression. Me being one of them. My doctor has told me that there has been a dramatic increase in people with depression after weight loss surgery and they don't know the reason for this, could be lack of nutrients, not having comfort food etc. Also not all anti-depressants are suitable after having a bypass due to them not being absorbed into our bodies the same so this might be something to check with your doctors.

Hope this helps and you all start feeling better soon (me included!!!)

x

Back