• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Struggling with Christmas

Seasons greetings everybody. Hope you all are surviving the festivities! I'm really struggling. I'm 6 weeks post sleeve and despite some early setbacks, last week I really felt I was getting the hang of it. Happy with weight loss, eating 800-1000 calories a day, focusing on protein and fluids and feeling energetic. And then Christmas Day happened and I don't seem to have stopped eating since! Obviously the quantities have been small compared to what I would have had last year but having grazed all day again yesterday (we had friends over) my stomach is actually feeling a bit sore today and I'm feeling a bit nauseous. Mind you, that hasn't stopped me from eating Christmas cake for breakfast (albeit a small slice) and 2 chocolates instead of lunch. And because I seem to be eating most of the time I haven't been sticking so well to the 30 minute rule and now I'm worried I've damaged my stomach. I feel so stupid and weak-willed as usual!

I now officially hate Christmas and plan to do it very differently next year!

chrisa

Well what can anyone say to that you know what you have done and what you now need to do. Go back to basics follow your diet sheet and write it all down so you can see in black n white just what you have been eating, the last thing you want is to cause yourself serious complications.

vixter101

Christmas is a hard enough time as it is...are the grazing opportunities at easy reach (i.e. choccys under the tree??) It's very hard but you can stop the grazing, its more about re-training your brain than anything else...but the most important thing is that you've realised the mistakes you have made and can now get back on track to sorting them out...WLS isn't easy and we all make mistakes!! Don't beat yourself up too much about it because that is a certain road to destruction - take on board your mistakes and learn from them :)

Hope you enjoy the remainder of the festive season and have a lovely New Year :)

SHARONA

Hi purplepippa, there are many people on here that have done the same! You are not the only one. Some have been honest to say and some ashamed and kept quiet! Christmas time us hell for us bariatric people! Its hell! Theres just too much stuff and we find our fingers doing the walk to everything and any thing like Christa says go back to basics write things down try to follow the 30min rule . Draw a line under it and move on none of us are perfect ! Like Vic says WLS is very hard and we have been told its not an easy road to take. Just think you have your sleeve as your tool and you want to provide it with respect! Think of distraction techniques such as painting your nails sorting through your big clothes to give to the charity shop or look at a nice outfit on line that you want to get into! If anything makes you feel better im 4wks bypass and i feel the same but we can do this hun! All the best xx

Thank you for your kind responses. I tell you what, this forum is a powerful tool as well. Just being honest about how I was feeling has helped me get back on track - I'm about to sit down to a sensible tea at least 30 minutes since I drank something and have logged everything on my fitness pal. The mist is clearing! I have a get together with some girlfriends tomorrow who haven't seen me since the surgery so am looking forward to impressing them with my self control!

SHARONA

Thank you for your kind responses. I tell you what, this forum is a powerful tool as well. Just being honest about how I was feeling has helped me get back on track - I'm about to sit down to a sensible tea at least 30 minutes since I drank something and have logged everything on my fitness pal. The mist is clearing! I have a get together with some girlfriends tomorrow who haven't seen me since the surgery so am looking forward to impressing them with my self control!
Great positive attitude i love Purplepippa well done you ! WTG ! hope they will notice your weight loss! Xx

Bear

Hey Purplepippa. Believe me that self control is there, and it feels brilliant exercising it while everyone else is indulging. We had a dinner party last night. I had a few things - couple of after eights, Brie etc but everyone else had 5 or 6 after eights, 6 different cheese and biscuits as well as lots of alcohol. The self control does give you a warm fuzzy feeling.

Christmas is over, I think all of us who have had their ops in the last few months have learnt a great deal about our minds and bodies in the last week. I hope I carry on learning to. X

kurstywursty

Pippa. It is so difficult. Once we open those floodgates the food just pops in. I was on holiday the week up to Christmas then had a wee do at the house on Boxing Day. That's me two days back on track.... To be honest hanging by my fingernails. But once you can get one day, then two under your belt you will feel a million dollars - just get that first day over with :)

We can do this xx

emma-louise

my new life!!
Seasons greetings everybody. Hope you all are surviving the festivities! I'm really struggling. I'm 6 weeks post sleeve and despite some early setbacks, last week I really felt I was getting the hang of it. Happy with weight loss, eating 800-1000 calories a day, focusing on protein and fluids and feeling energetic. And then Christmas Day happened and I don't seem to have stopped eating since! Obviously the quantities have been small compared to what I would have had last year but having grazed all day again yesterday (we had friends over) my stomach is actually feeling a bit sore today and I'm feeling a bit nauseous. Mind you, that hasn't stopped me from eating Christmas cake for breakfast (albeit a small slice) and 2 chocolates instead of lunch. And because I seem to be eating most of the time I haven't been sticking so well to the 30 minute rule and now I'm worried I've damaged my stomach. I feel so stupid and weak-willed as usual! I now officially hate Christmas and plan to do it very differently next year!

I think pippa knows she's been silly...
And I'm sure she's learnt a lesson from this...the sickness ain't worth a bit of christmas cake for!..lol
On a more serious note be careful...as your tummy is healing and you'll cause problems for yourself.
We all do things we regret whether it's in the early days or years later...like me having a little trifle on Christmas Day after my fishy pie!
I was sweating,sick,and passed out on the bed without realising it..I should have known better!

A.Positive

Those old demons are b**stards! Haha! I never swear but I know all to well how the food calls to you when the voices in your head take hold of their miniature speaker phones and won't stop talking.

You can get through it though my live, take a breath and don't beat yourself up. Don't wait for January to make a fresh start either; the sooner you get back in the saddle the better.xx

Andie1962

I too have found Christmas difficult to cope with plus it was my birthday yesterday so too much grazing was going on.
I feel so guilty but I know that it is just a blip and tomorrow is a new day and fresh start.
Looking at the bigger picture I have lost 4 stone 2 stone pre op and another 2 after my op. I feel happy even though my weight loss is slow it is coming off and that's all that matters.
The thing that really scares me though is how easy it is to slip back into our old ways I was doing absolutely fine before Christmas . Everyone who says wls its just a tool to help us to lose weight is so right.
I really hope I haven't done any damage to my sleeve by eating rubbish because I would be devastated if I had .
I am 4 months post op and this is the first time I have fallen of the wagon.
I hope you all had a good Christmas and here's to a happy healthy and slim 2015 for all of us xx

Thank you everyone! I posted on another thread that I regretted posting about my struggles but it is so good to know that I'm not the only one who has struggled over the festivities.

I got on the scales today with enormous trepidation to find that I had lost 1.5lbs! So, although I did feel a little out of control around the food (for which I am seeking help, as I have for a number of years) my sleeve gives me great restriction. I may have eaten some of the wrong things but the amounts were pretty small!