• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

stuck and finally fed up

honey-dd

Hiya not been around much been so busy but i have been reading and on occasion replying :D.

Need some advice pleeeaaassseee as I'm bemused :eek:.

ok start from top

Banded nearly a year ago,
Lost a stone and half post op
no fills till jan .Slowly had them done had 5th fill three weeks ago.
Gained all post op weight back
( i know my food choices have not been great hold my hands up to that :D.but portion size reduced each time with new fill)
I'm now 7 and half mill in a 10 mill band.

And i had an aggressive fill at last fill three weeks ago, as had gained the same 7lbs i lose and gain after fills :eek:and Wendy decided i could do with it .

After fill first week lost 7lbs stayed on soups but did not eat much nor take enough water ended up a few hours away from going in to hospital due to severe dehydration was lovely wont repeat it again in a hurry lol.

My band is now very tight soups are fine and sometimes crisps are ok but not crackers and most the time anything thick wont go down comes right back (example mushy peas are evil .And i had mash chicken and veg one night went down well?. was the first meal in three weeks but next day could not eat the same mash ??.) and i can now eat chicken(odd as could not tolerate it before this fill).Some morning i cant even eat yogurt and drinks have to be taken carefully?. but other day's drinks can be drunk quick, so my band seems to tolerate things differently on a daily basis.

Now my problem is....... I'm on minimum 500calls maximum 1500 calls. i know i use weight loss resources and i do my best to drink two liters of fluid a day.

i have no appetite

But iv lost nothing in the last two weeks?. not a thing even on the days I'm at the pub when I'm on my feet most of the day and can normally lose a 1lb I'm not dropping even an ounce ??.I'm gaining and losing the 1lb depending on what type of day my band wants to have?.

Now I'm finally fed up and feel iv waisted my money and don't know what to do ?.

I'm at tight restriction I'm trying to eat the right foods but now I'm still not losing anything iv lost 7lbs in a year i know really that's been up to me until recently, but now when i have tight restriction and I'm working with my band I'm still not loosing .I'm seeing great weight loss from others that were banded at the same time as me but don't know what to do for the best?.

ohh moan over lol but anyone have any ideas or advice ? could do with some encouragement right now lol

Got no good advice sorry Honey but wanted to say hi, it's nice to see you posting, and here's a hug cos you sound like you need one :hug99:

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it.

I have a few questions for you, of you don't mind.

What did you have to eat yesterday for example, from very start of the day to very end of the day?

Do you have enough proteins?

Do you exercise?

Do you rely on slider foods?

I am sorry if these seem a little random. But they are just thoughts as I was reading your post.

I can give you an example of a day of my food if it helps. This was Tuesdays intake.

Upon waking - 1 pint of water

Breakfast 9.00am
----------
30g Porridge (golden Syrup flavour)
Skimmed milk to make it up.

11.00am - Cup of Tea

Lunch
------
12 King Prawns
1 Tablespoon coleslaw
Salad Leaves

Hour after lunch - 1 Pint of Water

3.00pm - Cup of Tea, with 1 light digestive

Hour before dinner - 1 Pint of Water

Dinner
-------
1 Chicken thigh in light BBQ Sauce
Runner Beans and Corgettes
Carrots
NO Potatoes

Hour after dinner - cup of tea

Evening, will drink more water and tea.

Hi hun soz ur having a hard time at the mo but i cant offer u any advice but did not want to read and run, am sire there will be plenty of the crew around during the day to offer u lots of advice xxx

Hi , I would agree with Caz as far as the questions she's asked go. I had similar problems with the band in that it took me almost a year to get the restriction but also almost all that time as well to really get discplined, drop the slider foods and really be very watchful of what I was having, upped my proteins and am trying to eat three meals a day. Also I am careful to stay above 1000 cals a day at least, and my average is around 1,250 to 1,300 per day. I also do as much exercise as I can muster daily to keep my metabolism from resetting too low.
I would just say, try and get right back to basics, possibly get hold of your provider and ask the dietician what she can suggest given your current problems.
The band daily menus thread is where some of us banders put our daily food intake so maybe you can get some ideas from there. We all tolerate different stuff but there are some meal ideas I've picked up having read through what others are having.
All I can tell you is my weight loss has picked back up again now I'm eating more responsibly and I've lost a stone and a half since the beginning of July by rethinking my approach and being more sensible.
Hope you can get some good advice from the dietician xxx

I would have the same questions as Caz? With an idea of you daily intake we may be able to see any clues.

You mention crisps. These are not good band food and it is best to stay away from any "snack" type foods.

Have 3 healthy meals a day. Stay away from slider food or unhealthy choices.

Exercise when you can.

Make sure you drink enough but not at meal times as this can wash food through the band and cause you to eat more.

If you are only have around 500 cals some days then you body will go into starvation mode and cling to as much fat as possible. I have around 900 to 1200 cals a day.

I am sorry you have had trouble getting the right restriction with you band but at least you are sticking with it and I am sure with the right restriction you will start to see great results.

Thank you for the replies

Yesterday i ate:D

One pack of crisps ( i know all about sliders and wrong foods after this long I'm still learning but id had nothing and it was to hand, i usually don't but a little in moderation is still the best way as my dietitian states lol and like i said its not every day )

a small bowl of chili home made mostly ate the beef in it and sauce

Three cheese slices .i tend to pick on those but have no more than three as there low in calls

One bowl of chicken soup with large bits of chicken and potato

Rice pudding

Now i don't have regular eating patterns as i run a pub, i try to but its hard especially now I'm not able to eat much.so i try for small and often on days i know i wont get a regular meal time .

and another thing i cant eat sliders like i said some days i struggle with yogurt and iv had chocolate on occasion but a small amount and it hurts like hell .and as above crisps most the time that's agony.

I'm more often than not able to eat nothing other than soup without discomfort .. but this is thick soup with veg beans and pulses lol so I'm confused as my band has a mind of its own I'm sure lol ,

I'm trying hard to eat chicken or meat every day and on hard days eating three bowls of soups

i am trying very hard to drink plenty and have two glasses of orange juice a day.

But i physically can not eat more on most days my best day so far was Tuesday this week i managed a pack of snack a jacks loads of water ,and half a chicken breast green beans asparagus ,and two tablespoons of mash this was calorific though as my husband was cooking for guests so cream and butter in mash and a creme brulee for desert but that and two glasses of wine was it all day as i could not have anything else

I don't want a defil as it has taken ages to get restriction, i know its tight but not over tight as i can get things down and as iv explained on some days can eat well but small quantities.

But has still not solved the bigger picture of weight loss not just maintaining lol

hope this gives more info lol

Hi there,

Okay, lets look at this and break it down.

To start the day with crisps is not good really, high fat and high calories.

Try a cereal bar, rice crispie ones are light as are special K ones, the texture is not too different, so you should be able to cope. These are great if you have to grab and run. If you have time, try something like porridge or yoghurt and fruit.

Do you have the low fat cheese slices?

The chicken soup is good but is still a slider food, if you can cope with the lumps, you can cope with a chicken breast, cut up small and eaten slowly with a selection of healthy veg.

One question...did you really need the rice pudding?

Thats a real slider food and very high in calories and carbs.

These are just suggestions, but it seems that your diet is carb rich and not enough proteins.

You should be able to cope with small meals of solid proteins, healthy veg and maybe the odd potato.

How long do you take to eat a meal? How small are the mouthfuls and how slowly do you chew?

I make a meal last over 20 minutes, as it actually takes this long for the brain to know you have eaten. Also Liz does this too, we put our knives and forks down between mouthfuls to help us eat slower.

I hope you can work with band but if you are struggling with solid food it does sound like you might need half a mil out. This will still give you restriction but allow you to make better food choices without the discomfort.

I know it's tough eating regular if you have a job like yours but you need to set time aside to eat in a calm relaxed atmosphere. You owe it to yourself and the money you spent.

I hope you can get back on track :)

hi honey firstly great to see you back :) sorry things are still all over place i think some of your yoyo tightness could be emotional if i get stressed ill or overtired my band tightens like a bugger and also mornings can be hard i struggle with breakie . follow other advice given for diet and remember if you dont eat and drink enough you wont loose to much anyway , i sometimes struggle to get enough fluids down and it does seem to make a difference and keep your chin up hun xxxxx

Hi there,

Okay, lets look at this and break it down.

To start the day with crisps is not good really, high fat and high calories. did not start the day with this this i just put down what i ate in no particular order sorry :eek:,and there is no chance in heaven or hell lol that id eat anything other than orange juice or very thin porridge in the morning .i also choose low call crisps if i do partake in the occasional bag lol but get you on the fat part )

Try a cereal bar, rice crispie ones are light as are special K ones, the texture is not too different, so you should be able to cope. These are great if you have to grab and run. If you have time, try something like porridge or yoghurt and fruit.( like i said no chance of anything other than a drink or very thin porridge on a good day ,and i hate breakfast so try my best to at least have a fruit juice )

Do you have the low fat cheese slices?( yes )

The chicken soup is good but is still a slider food, if you can cope with the lumps, you can cope with a chicken breast, cut up small and eaten slowly with a selection of healthy veg.( iv found that most often than not i cant cope with dry chicken. that's only on a good day so soup is a slider i agree and i cant figure out why i can eat the veg in it ?.but i can lol but i think that's better than nothing on the days my band doesn't want to play ball)

One question...did you really need the rice pudding( yes i had, had so little to eat i still need fuel to work 17 hour days .so that is quick and iv had it for years while training at the gym.i admit I'm not at the gym and a healthier option may be yogurt but my calls are so low that it did not make any difference and its not a daily thing )

Thats a real slider food and very high in calories and carbs.( i agree with the carbs )

These are just suggestions, but it seems that your diet is carb rich and not enough proteins.( on this one day it was carb rich with the crisps and the rice pudding and the potato in the soup but its all i could eat :sigh:)

You should be able to cope with small meals of solid proteins, healthy veg and maybe the odd potato. ( on most days no i cant its back to post op eating of which i don't mind if i was loosing weight lol but im not :confused:)

How long do you take to eat a meal? How small are the mouthfuls and how slowly do you chew.( im guilty at times of too big a mouth full but not often, and its chew chew chew all the way lol )

I make a meal last over 20 minutes, as it actually takes this long for the brain to know you have eaten. Also Liz does this too, we put our knives and forks down between mouthfuls to help us eat slower.

I hope you can work with band but if you are struggling with solid food it does sound like you might need half a mil out. This will still give you restriction but allow you to make better food choices without the discomfort.( do not want a de fill i only had half a mill put in so definitely don't want it out. i just want to work with what i have and understand why so low calls still equals weight maintenance :sigh:)

I know it's tough eating regular if you have a job like yours but you need to set time aside to eat in a calm relaxed atmosphere. You owe it to yourself and the money you spent.( wish i had the time but 5 out of seven i don't i still have to run a business and in this climate it comes first .i don't sit down but i do try to eat little and often )

I hope you can get back on track :)

Thank you for your advice its given me some to think on xxx

hi honey firstly great to see you back :) sorry things are still all over place i think some of your yoyo tightness could be emotional if i get stressed ill or overtired my band tightens like a bugger and also mornings can be hard i struggle with breakie . follow other advice given for diet and remember if you dont eat and drink enough you wont loose to much anyway , i sometimes struggle to get enough fluids down and it does seem to make a difference and keep your chin up hun xxxxx

hello my band idol :):) lol your still doing well which is even more encouraging for me lol xxxxxx

i do struggle with fluids but I'm trying so hard with them

and chin is not doing a good job at up at the moment I'm far too confused and down about it

go to see dietitian in sept so I'm hoping they might have some answers and good advice xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

yesterday was a high call day for me i usually eat a lot less and had a few glasses of fruit juice and rice pudding i don't usually have .

weight loss thingy i use says i need 1789 calls a day to lose 2lbs a week

i had 1655

to maintain i need to have 2789

iv not had close to that in three weeks yesterday and tue were the highest call days so far but still under my quota and well under maintenance calls

so after checking threw it all im really confused lol

Hi Honey

Sorry things are not working out the way you'd hoped. In your first post you mention Wendy, is your aftercare with WLSG. If so I take it its Colleen you are seeing in September, If it is Im sure she will be able to help you out if you are still struggling. If you cant wait until Sep give her a ring.

Hope you start losing again soon - sounds to me like you are not getting enough 'energy' from your foods and you may have gone into starvation mode. All the running around you do in the pub will take its toll.

Good luck and keep posting to let us know how you are getting on x

I'm not a bander but two things struck me reading your post. Firstly I guess its the same for banders and it is for bypassers, there are weeks we lose nothing weightwise but seem to lose the inches. Have you measured yourself since your latest fill?

And secondly are you actually getting enough proteins in to stop your body going into starvation mode?

I hope things improve for you.

xx

The only thing I can add is that maybe you could reduce the orange juice and replace it with Water. Orange juice is high in sugar and not a good drink when on diet.

I know they were low fat cheese slices but try not to snack even healthy snacks. The idea of the band is to reduce portions. If you have small snacks then you are cheating the band.

Also, try and get out of the mindset that you top your calories up with foods high in fat and sugar. Like with the rice pudding. You may be low on you calories but you need to make sure you have good calories. Try having some fruit (a banana is good).

Lastly, drinking skimmed milk is a good way of toping up you protien but failing that try protein shacks to make sure you get your calories in. This may be your best option with the restriction you are having.

I'm not a bander but two things struck me reading your post. Firstly I guess its the same for banders and it is for bypassers, there are weeks we lose nothing weightwise but seem to lose the inches. Have you measured yourself since your latest fill?
hiya:), no i have not measured and yes i am slimmer sounds odd my shape, face and so on is much thinner than a 7lb loss would entail so i think your right. im obviously losing somewhere:eek:. i was even thinking my scales were broke lol but there not purely as i look so much thinner than the llb lost if you get me x

And secondly are you actually getting enough proteins in to stop your body going into starvation mode?.i don't think i am:eek:. im trying i really am i was a big carb eater and iv slowly been trying to reduce them ..but sometimes when you cant get anything down its easier and better with my hours to grab something more carb than id like. but i am making a big effort to change it .

I hope things improve for you.thank you xx

xx

thank you xx

Back