• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Suggestions for Picnics/"on the go" food

slaz

Hi
Out and about on travels next week and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for what to eat when away from home for a few days, that is healthy and doesn't cost the earth! No fridge available and no cooker either! Should have a kettle in the evenings.
I can just about manage a sandwich but they are far from ideal!

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

David

Hi David,
Nuts are handy for snacks as they are high in protein but as they are also high in fat you have to be a little careful. You could boil eggs in your kettle, if you wrap them in cling film first it won't matter if they crack and leak a little. I daren't eat cheese as I like it too much but you could carry some ready cubed. Good luck

top_kat

How about some crackerbreads, ryvitas,. snack a jacks - low fat versions even better. You could for the first day grab a tub of quark (will be ok out of the fridge for the first day I'm sure, or even better use a cooler bag with a frozen thing in and will last a little longer) you could get a jar of super light dressing to put on the crispbreads if you dont have access to a fridge.

Could you resort to slim fast shakes? You could get a tub and make up or for ease the ones already made (although they are higher in sugar/carbs) they would be ok for a couple of things. You could also get the slim fast bars to fill in as a snack.

Fruit, grapes, things that you can snack on that would be ok while travelling? Cup a soup for when you have your kettle. Or check out where you will be travelling and see what access you may have to supermarkets/shops so you could pick up prepacked salads or even places which do rotisserie chicken and grab some chicken?

top_kat

Its handy if you're out and about, and of course, discard the skin :) but a good source of protein. Also if you pass a garage or shop, the bernard matthews turkey chunks, they come in 100g packs, but handy to snack on, good protein and low fat too (tikka, bbq, roast, hickory flavours etc) pick up some cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, even a cucumber, all will be ok out of the fridge for a while.

Another thing that I eat out and about is John West Tuna Light Lunches, Princes also do one (usually with the tuna in the supermarket aisle) they contain only about 250 cals, but are very filling and even come with their own little fork. have some crackers or ryvita to go with it and away you go :) no need for fridge, cooking or washing up!

Another thing I have is weight watchers do little tiny tins of tuna in a sauce, coronation chicken or with mayo and sweetcorn (there's another one I can't remember) but they don't need to be in a fridge, but handy to top crackers/ryvitas with, the coronation flavour one is lovely :)

NT1977

Cous Cous you can make using boiled water in a mug, Pasta shots (although quite salty), I would be eating salad and salad!

JoJoTGirl

If you're a fish lover, tins of tuna or mackeral and crispbreads, baby food - low sugar rice puddings were a fave for me very early on if I had to travel. Otherwise, I nip into any old shop and buy a packet of sandwhich ham / chicken. Protein, protein and more protein. Have fun on your travels.