• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Suggestions for Post Op?

Wanttobeslim

Starting the journey...
I'm not post op yet (getting excited for Monday!) but want to be organised. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to buy in ready?

My provider is suggesting for the first week post surgery,
  • sugar free squash (is that the same as no added sugar?)
  • clear soups (What brands/flavours do people buy?)
  • low fat yoghurt with no 'bits'(all the 0% individual yoghurts seem to have 'bits' in.. )
  • protein drinks (would slimfast be a protein drink or can somebody suggest a protein drink to try?)
Sorry for the daft questions, just want to make sure I'm stocked up!

I had plenty of banana custard flavour Muller lights. Vanilla and toffee flavours were also bit-free.

I did get baxters beef consomme as it was clear, but it was also expensive and only 15 calories, so I wouldn't bother again - it didn't seem any better than an oxo! I used Asda own slim-fast equivalents but also bought protein powder and had occasional protein shakes. For the most part I was living on milky coffee and NAS squash for a couple of days, until I could have "cream of" type soups.

Good luck!:)

Thanks Sarah, Apparently I have to do this for a week so want a little variety!! Will have a mooch round Asda at the weekend!

Yoghurt - go for the drinking yoghurts. Such as muller vitality or Actimel. Not only are they completely drinkable, they have no bits, and actimel in particular can also help to prevent constipation which many people suffer from post op

I don't do soups or shakes, but grab a tin of something such as slim fast, you can then make it to the consistency that you need for post op.

Soups, again, you can sieve or blend and add hot water to thin if too thick so buy ones that you like, or indeed make your own :)

And sugar free squash - yes its just the no added sugar ones :)

Thanks for the tips Top Kat - hadn't thought about Actimel/drinking yoghurt (dur!) and good to know that I can thin down/sieve the thicker soups as necessary. I have some butternut squash/red pepper home made soup in freezer waiting and am going to make up a chunky vegetable one too so I can blend or use when going onto lumpier stuff! You've done fabulously well with a band hun, any other tips for me?

The first week, while I wanted variety, I wasn't hungry at all and had to force shakes and liquids down my neck. I didn't enjoy any of it until I could have thicker soups, when I had homemade broccoli and stilton soup and thought I was in heaven!

Drinking yogurt didn't occur to me either - doh!

Petit Filou! Never would have thought of them either!!
Sarah, I Imagine i'll be the same which is why I wanted to get a variety of things ... I
Imagine first taste of something you Love is like nectar!! Or anything with a bit more flavour!

post op you don't have to stick to soup

- fruit juice
- vegetable juice
- smoothies (blend in skimmed milk powder for protein and berries )
- drinking yoghurt
- milk, milky coffee, milk with options hot chocolate, no added sugar crusha to make milkshakes
- slim fast or protein shakes (buy a tub to mix own - less sugar and you can make it thinner)

Fromage frais is bit thick on liquid stage

The liquid in post op stage should be thin enough to go up a straw but don't use a straw as it can add to wind issues

Thanks for the suggestions, night before the big day and feeling nervous now! Let's hope this is the beginning of my journey to becoming slim for good!

Thanks for the suggestions, night before the big day and feeling nervous now! Let's hope this is the beginning of my journey to becoming slim for good!
I'll be in the same place as you this time next week, scary isn't it?! It's all I can think about. I've never been so nervous about anything in my life. Quite ridiculous when it's something I've decided to do myself!
Good luck for tomorrow.

Thanks Helski :) where are you being 'done'? I see you are in Hampshire, I'm right on border of Hants/Dorset/Wilts. It is scary, I think the fact that we have chosen to have it done doesn't make the nerves any less!

Good luck!!

Kirsty

Thanks Helski :) where are you being 'done'? I see you are in Hampshire, I'm right on border of Hants/Dorset/Wilts. It is scary, I think the fact that we have chosen to have it done doesn't make the nerves any less!
I live near to the New Forest/Southampton. Having my op at the Nuffield. Honestly, I keep reading and reading stuff and it's just making me more and more nervous and apprehensive. I should stop looking for stuff on the web but I just can't help myself.

I know what u mean Hun, try not to over Google!! I'm on the western edge if the new forest, near Fordingbridge. If I can figure out how I'll pm you, perhaps we can meet up post op and compare notes?

Hi Helski, I can't private message you as it tells me you havent agreed to receive private messages?

Try not to go on random sites while researching, look for reliable sources. This forum is so helpful and the people in it are great :)

Kirsty

Back