• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Surgery booked

carberello

I have the surgery for Gastric bypass booked for Jan 14th after much faffing about trying to decide.

A diabetic eye test confirmed some retinopathy so my first call on getting home was to finally book and see if I was one of the % who had their diabetes resolved before irreparable damage is done by this horrible disease . Fingers crossed!

Now Ive really looked into the benefits of WLS and cant wait. I really feel like its a new beginning for me. 6 weeks to go!
There is one little niggle though.....Catheters

Is having a Catheter essential and done automatically? I have had one previously when I had a Kidney out and hated it more than anything. I'm hoping to avoid it if at all possible
Cheers

Hi Carbarello,

My surgeon told me no catheter routinely but definitely a wound drain for 48 hours post op.

Tatiana

Hi Hun,

Ive been told I wont need a Catheter when I have my op and no drains either, I'm having laproscopic though. Are you?

Let us know how you go on.
Hugs,

Hi Louby,

I'm booked for laparoscopic surgery and, as I said above, my surgeon says a drain is standard for at least 48 hours post op - longer if it continues to drain fluid.

Then again, as we all know so well, different hospitals have different ways of doing the same thing!!

Tatiana

hi just want to say wellcome to this forum,
were about in chester are you from?
i am from wallasey in the wirral, and i will be going to spire murrayfield for my op.
which hospital have you chosen??

as far as i am awear you do have a catheter and a wound drain after a gastric bypass. xxxx

hi and welcome

Hi and Welcome, i am fairly new too.

Just had my op (29th november) had a catheta which i was afraid of, but it was fine in the end, and you barely feel it coming out. I had a drain too after the keyhole surgery and it was a bit painful coming out but nothing worse than an injection
You will be fine xx good luck xx:553:

i am from wallasey in the wirral, and i will be going to spire murrayfield for my op.

as far as i am awear you do have a catheter and a wound drain after a gastric bypass. xxxx

Hi Louby,

I'm booked for laparoscopic surgery and, as I said above, my surgeon says a drain is standard for at least 48 hours post op - longer if it continues to drain fluid.

Then again, as we all know so well, different hospitals have different ways of doing the same thing!!

Tatiana

I had a bypass 2 weeks ago and had neither a drain nor a catheter. They preferred us to get up and use the bathroom as soon as.

Hi Hun,

Ive been told I wont need a Catheter when I have my op and no drains either, I'm having laproscopic though. Are you?

Let us know how you go on.
Hugs,

Thanks for replying ( everyone)

My surgery has changed to the Laproscopic gastric sleeve due to previous surgery although the nurse at the pre op told me Im down for RNY! Since I made the original post the pre op nurse also told me no catheter- thank god for that! lol

Thanks for that info-looks as though you were right!
I'm having my bellyectomy at the Alex in Cheadle, via Mr Aktah. Not exactly sure which version Im having, Nether does Mt Aktar I think until he has a look inside ( had a kidney out in 08 and he thinks it could be untidy in there.)

I'm diabetic too which is why I originally wanted the op - so kind of hoping for the better resolution of DB that comes with RNY although the sleeve is fine too albeit a little less effective at resolving diabetes.

Im really excited now - 1 week to go! reminds me of counting down to Xmas as a kid!

Back