• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Had my pre-op appointment yesterday! Yipee

Hi everyone, hope you are all well and enjoying the lovely sunshine!! Fabulous isn't it!! Apart from when i am stuck in work :( - on the up side though i do enjoy a salad when the weather is like this , and that doesnt happen very often lol.
Well yesterday was a really great day. It started with a presentation at 9.00am. This was very informative, telling us the pros and cons of WLS, and giving a full description of the different surgeries.
Then we were taken to a waiting room (there was eight of us) to wait for our next appointment. We all sat and chatted and i have to say we had a great laugh - what a great bunch of people.
Anyway of the next couple of hours we were all taken of to have blood tests done, ECG, Lung function test, swabs for MRSA, urine sample, medical questionaire, questions with the bariatric nurse regarding my expectasions of surgery, blood pressure, weight, height, pre-op diet talk ~ well a full MOT i thought lol.
This finished about 11.30 , and our next appointment was with the surgeon but he was not due to arrive until about 1.00pm. The lovely nurse said i could go home if i liked (as i didnt live that far away) but i was enjoying the chat with the other people too much to leave, so i stayed! Great to hear other peoples stories i thought!
There was a lady there with her son. He was chatting about wanting the bypass and then he dropped a bombshell that his mum had it done a year last Febuary - yes the lady sat next to him! She had lost 13 stone and looked bloody fabulous (infact you would of never believed that she had been over weight!) - wonderful. So she told everyone about her experiences, so we all enjoyed that.
Before we new it, and several stories later if was 1.45 and the surgeon had just turned up. One at a time we were called in.
One of the ladies was there with her hubby and little boy, after the appointment there were going on a camping holiday so we made her go first so she could go asap!
Another ladies son was at home (in Preston) and he was on his own and was poorly so we all made her go next so she could go home.
Anyway i finally got to speak to the surgeon, he was lovely. Straight away he tried to change my mind about which surgery i wanted. I was a little shocked because he was the first person to do this! He thought i would be better with the band. I just explained why i thought the bypass was better for me (luckily all the info i have got from this forum was invaluable!! Thanks everyone!!!!:D)
Do you know what he said...... he said "well you have done your homework" ~ oh yes i have !! ......
Well, do you know what he said next!........ he said "yes you can have a bypass, lets sign the consent form" .......oh yea i will!!!
so we did!
Yippee!
Then do you know what he said....... he said i was his lightest patient that he has had for a bypass!! My god, i have never been the lightest in anything! Woo Hoo..

Then it went downhill, he said he will have to refer my case to the Managing Director and explain why i am having a bypass (i am no sure because i had stopped listening then, you know when your mind wonders off thinking "omg they are gonna say no!"), i think he said that people usually have a BMI of 38 and above for a bypass. My BMI is 35.9 at the moment. I explained that i am ususally 3 stone heavier than i am now (still trying to keep weight off after losing it with Reductil).
I asked if the MD could say "no", and he said no it wouldn't be a problem. Oh bloomin eck, i hope not :confused:
So thats it - all in all it was a fantastic day. i have to see the anethatist (sorry cant spell it) because i am classed as a meduim risk. They said it should be next week when i see him.
Then the surgeon said the op would be in about 8 weeks! But he wasn't sure on the waiting list.
I asked the bariatric nurse and she said people who had been on the pre-op day (like me) 4 weeks ago were having their ops now!! Ohhh in a word... fabulous.
So i am so sorry for waffling but i couldn't wait to do a thread and let you know.
Fingers crossed now that i hear about a date for surgery- heres hoping things progress rapidly for everyone who is waiting on the various stages of your weight loss journey!!! xxx

:family2:

pre op day

Hi Sue well done you!!!!! I am so jeloussssssssse I bet you cant wait. I spotted you on the unread bit and I was shouting to my hubby "sue has only bloody well got her dates" and he is like "which sue" you know as if Ive known you all my life L.O.L thats great news I am so pleased for you lets hope lil o`me is next .Your flying it girl. Gail-michelle:character00255:
Hi everyone, hope you are all well and enjoying the lovely sunshine!! Fabulous isn't it!! Apart from when i am stuck in work :( - on the up side though i do enjoy a salad when the weather is like this , and that doesnt happen very often lol.
Well yesterday was a really great day. It started with a presentation at 9.00am. This was very informative, telling us the pros and cons of WLS, and giving a full description of the different surgeries.
Then we were taken to a waiting room (there was eight of us) to wait for our next appointment. We all sat and chatted and i have to say we had a great laugh - what a great bunch of people.
Anyway of the next couple of hours we were all taken of to have blood tests done, ECG, Lung function test, swabs for MRSA, urine sample, medical questionaire, questions with the bariatric nurse regarding my expectasions of surgery, blood pressure, weight, height, pre-op diet talk ~ well a full MOT i thought lol.
This finished about 11.30 , and our next appointment was with the surgeon but he was not due to arrive until about 1.00pm. The lovely nurse said i could go home if i liked (as i didnt live that far away) but i was enjoying the chat with the other people too much to leave, so i stayed! Great to hear other peoples stories i thought!
There was a lady there with her son. He was chatting about wanting the bypass and then he dropped a bombshell that his mum had it done a year last Febuary - yes the lady sat next to him! She had lost 13 stone and looked bloody fabulous (infact you would of never believed that she had been over weight!) - wonderful. So she told everyone about her experiences, so we all enjoyed that.
Before we new it, and several stories later if was 1.45 and the surgeon had just turned up. One at a time we were called in.
One of the ladies was there with her hubby and little boy, after the appointment there were going on a camping holiday so we made her go first so she could go asap!
Another ladies son was at home (in Preston) and he was on his own and was poorly so we all made her go next so she could go home.
Anyway i finally got to speak to the surgeon, he was lovely. Straight away he tried to change my mind about which surgery i wanted. I was a little shocked because he was the first person to do this! He thought i would be better with the band. I just explained why i thought the bypass was better for me (luckily all the info i have got from this forum was invaluable!! Thanks everyone!!!!:D)
Do you know what he said...... he said "well you have done your homework" ~ oh yes i have !! ......
Well, do you know what he said next!........ he said "yes you can have a bypass, lets sign the consent form" .......oh yea i will!!!
so we did!
Yippee!
Then do you know what he said....... he said i was his lightest patient that he has had for a bypass!! My god, i have never been the lightest in anything! Woo Hoo..

Then it went downhill, he said he will have to refer my case to the Managing Director and explain why i am having a bypass (i am no sure because i had stopped listening then, you know when your mind wonders off thinking "omg they are gonna say no!"), i think he said that people usually have a BMI of 38 and above for a bypass. My BMI is 35.9 at the moment. I explained that i am ususally 3 stone heavier than i am now (still trying to keep weight off after losing it with Reductil).
I asked if the MD could say "no", and he said no it wouldn't be a problem. Oh bloomin eck, i hope not :confused:
So thats it - all in all it was a fantastic day. i have to see the anethatist (sorry cant spell it) because i am classed as a meduim risk. They said it should be next week when i see him.
Then the surgeon said the op would be in about 8 weeks! But he wasn't sure on the waiting list.
I asked the bariatric nurse and she said people who had been on the pre-op day (like me) 4 weeks ago were having their ops now!! Ohhh in a word... fabulous.
So i am so sorry for waffling but i couldn't wait to do a thread and let you know.
Fingers crossed now that i hear about a date for surgery- heres hoping things progress rapidly for everyone who is waiting on the various stages of your weight loss journey!!! xxx

:) oh hello gail-michelle! really glad you have posted, i have been dying to know how you have been going on!! I am sure you will hear soon!
i do exactly the same to my hubby - when i check the list and say "ohh gail-michelle has posted!!" lol

Well it looks like i will be going to Murrayfield Wirral (not spire like you). But if you ever get chance to post Salski on here she went to spire with mr Ammori i think, and she was seen really quickly, so fingers crossed for you!!!
I was thrilled yesterday, but nervous too. I think thats normal though!
i am gonna do my trip to Matalan to a nightie and new slippers - and then i am going to get some multi-vitamins (i was told to start these now)
I also have to get my prescriptions in liquid form for the few weeks after the op. So that should keep me occupied for a while.
lovely to hear from you x :p

Hiya Sue I got the superdrug multi vitamins with iron a massive tub of 180 for just over a fiver but also its a buy 1 get 1 free whoopee!! I have also been told to get a bottle of gripe mixture in for wind:D:D:D. Gail-michelle
:) oh hello gail-michelle! really glad you have posted, i have been dying to know how you have been going on!! I am sure you will hear soon!
i do exactly the same to my hubby - when i check the list and say "ohh gail-michelle has posted!!" lol

Well it looks like i will be going to Murrayfield Wirral (not spire like you). But if you ever get chance to post Salski on here she went to spire with mr Ammori i think, and she was seen really quickly, so fingers crossed for you!!!
I was thrilled yesterday, but nervous too. I think thats normal though!
i am gonna do my trip to Matalan to a nightie and new slippers - and then i am going to get some multi-vitamins (i was told to start these now)
I also have to get my prescriptions in liquid form for the few weeks after the op. So that should keep me occupied for a while.
lovely to hear from you x :p

That is WONDERFUL news Sue and it sounded such a great day - meeting all those people it just nice to know that there are alot of successes out there with WLS. Will keep everything crossed that you have your op soon.

Sending hugs with fairy dust to keep you company on Cloud 9 xx

Hiya Sue I think that kayceeOO needs some moral as she seems a bit low bless her. She is new and I know how I felt when I first started to post. Anyway you make me howl with laughter some of the things ya come out with so I think you will cheer her up loads. :17729:Gail-michelle
:thankyou: Liz, thats lovely. i cant wait to be on the losing side! :scale:

How are you doing with your band? Hope everything is going well :)

What a super post Sue! You sound over the moon. Congratulations. I hope your date comes through really quickly for you. Zxx

I am crossing my fingers for you hun that you move ahead without issue. I am really excited for you!

Nic;)

Sounds like a great day, and 8 weeks will fly be!

Congratulations Sue it sounds like you had a fab group day, I hope I have as much fun at mine!!!

thFantastic.gif

news_17083.gif

hooray.gif

so we did!
Yippee!

Hi there sue, Guess what I have my Pre assesment date for the 22nd June and I am also with Robert Macadam so there you go I am soooooooooooo excited . Has any one else been with Mr macadam??? Gail Michelle
so we did!
Yippee!

Last edited:
Sounds like such a great day. Here's to hoping the date comes very quickly for you.

Back