• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Taste preferences changed after RNY!

snagglepuss

No regrets!!
I have had a very easy time of it since my op - I don't dump on anything, and no type of food seems to be a no-go area in any way, so there can be no medical reason for my taste in certain things completely changing. Things like:
I always used to have coffee - now I only drink tea!
I used to hate eggs - now I can't get enough of them!
I always loved tomatoes - now the thought of them makes me shudder!
I suddenly can't stop eating sprouts with nearly every meal - even with my home-made chilli con carne!

I think my surgeon messed about with my brain as well as my stomach!

Anyone else found that their tastes changed after the op??

I can't speak as a post opper, but am hoping that similar happens to me. It has been reported in many science articles that the RNY seems to affect neuronal and hormonal responses between the stomach and the brain and often changes a patient's food preferences:

Bariatric Surgery Reduces Response to Food Cues? | Dr. Sharma's Obesity Notes

(There are other articles in existence before I get told off for quoting and linking Dr Sharma too many times -- I just happen to read his. There are definitely other scientific articles on the net about this phenomenon.)

That's a very interesting article, thanks for that! I have to say it is very strange to crave something all your life then suddenly not give a damn whether you have it again or not!! I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but for me, I'm finding the whole process fascinating!

I went to a Xmas Market today and walking past all the aromatic food stalls (fish & chips, posh burgers, noodles, thai food, mince pies etc), I was so disinterested, I couldn't even decide if I wanted any of it as nothing seemed appealing - I ended up with half a burger I didn't really want just because I needed to eat something, plus everyone was waiting for me to make a decision! Most of it went in the bin, something that would never have happened before the op!

hiya, the thought of scrambled egg before the op was not very appealling...and now like you... i love them lol.
i cant have two sweeteners in my tea any more as im finding this too sweet...
and being a former chocoholic... im now fiding myself looking at people and thinking....what you eating that crap for lol.
ive not tried anything sweet yet, but then i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetis before op anyway so shouldnt really have it.
i guess i will know more when i start on the soft food stage on the 23rd december lol x

Last edited:
I'm really off sweet things too. Tim makes readybrek for breakfast and if he forgets and sweetens it before he spoons some out for me it's always far to sweet. After roast dinner last night I'd brought cheesecake for pudding and it really didn't bother me that I wasn't having any. Before the op I'd have been drooling and wishing I could have some if I was on a diet. Long may it continue.

Kate x

im fortunate that its only me and my daughter at home... but i have been buying her treats and things which she has for school etc and she has been having pizza at the weekend... and i havent really wanted to finish off what she doesnt eat so all good so far x

Oh I know my food tastes have changed as well as being bypass related I am convinced I am a born again eater!
I eat and enjoy it on an amazing health kick too - food is for living I no longer Live for food!

Love salads Love crispbread and ryvita prefer light or half fat cheese turned off by sugar turned on by pepper FRUIT FRUIT FRUIT any day but can still make and have low fat non sugar desserts as a treat Oh and in addition to my exercise addiction I love my kitchen too where i not only cook I prepare and menu plan too _ Whats all that about then!

Oh I know my food tastes have changed as well as being bypass related I am convinced I am a born again eater!
I eat and enjoy it on an amazing health kick too - food is for living I no longer Live for food!

Love salads Love crispbread and ryvita prefer light or half fat cheese turned off by sugar turned on by pepper FRUIT FRUIT FRUIT any day but can still make and have low fat non sugar desserts as a treat Oh and in addition to my exercise addiction I love my kitchen too where i not only cook I prepare and menu plan too _ Whats all that about then!

Hey go you Phil, its defo given you a new focus, i love cooking aswell although not that good at it lol... ive just sent you a faebook friends request...Lorraine Rainbow Andrews xx

Back