• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How my tastes have changed ?

Loving the Loop

During my pre op consultations one of the dieticians told me to expect my tastes to change and that some foods I liked I wouldn't after the operations, I thought at the time she was crazy but now I am starting to believe.

I now find these 5 foods/tastes in particular I just don't like anymore, all of which were firm favourites pre op.

1. Tinned tomato soup - Way to sweet, have tried thinning it with water or a little milk but no joy. (I had some tins in the cupboard to experiment with).
2. Tinned Beans - Again way to sweet when eaten on there own, have used them added to a chilli as I don't like kidney beans (I'm the guy with the little pile of kidney beans at the side of my plate when I eat out)
3. Onions - OK as an underlying flavour in soup or stuff but can't take a strong onion flavour now which sucks a bit.
4. Hummus - I know it good for protein but Yuck, just Yuck.
5. Bananas - Cant explain it, I used them in smoothies on puree stage, now even the smell makes me cringe.

Anyone else find this happened to them ? If so what changed for you ?

Interesting, I don't think I have 5, but coffee for me now is revolting UNLESS it is super strong and has a little milk, and purchased in a cafe. the instant coffee I haven't been able to tolerate for at least 16 y e ars, My first pregnancy saw to that so switched to filter coffee..... mmmm........ but now, again, I cannot have coffee at home, even the smell makes me feel sickly.... So I am back on the tea, which I have to have with 2 sweeteners, (another change, never had sugar or anything except milk before )

If I think of anything else I will let you know

Plain old tomato soup I find the same Loops. BUT the WW tomato & basil I love.

I don't think my tastes have changed so much, but I'm definitely far more adventurous with foods - especially vegetarian and fish based meals, both of which I love now. I also have tinned butter beans, puy lentils and chickpeas now out of choice.

But agree there's definitely a change in desire and taste.

I don't like things that are too sweet (except haribo which I didn't use to like but now do) the biggest thing for me is fried foods especially things like onion rings and even the posh crisps that say hand cut I hate that oily aftertaste. Also runny yokes make me feel ill and creamy things I will only have a tiny bit before the taste is too creamy and waxy. We had those individual syrup sponges the I there day and I decided to treat myself. I hated all the cream and the syrup was too sweet so I ended up just having a couple of mouth gulls of the sponge! I am a thankful for these changes it makes me feel like a healthy person. I always used to wonder at the people that chose a small piece of cake with a drizzle of cream and a side salad instead of some thudded fried to go with their meal because they preferred the cleaner taste of food but now that's me!

I don't like things that are too sweet (except haribo which I didn't use to like but now do) the biggest thing for me is fried foods especially things like onion rings and even the posh crisps that say hand cut I hate that oily aftertaste. Also runny yokes make me feel ill and creamy things I will only have a tiny bit before the taste is too creamy and waxy. We had those individual syrup sponges the I there day and I decided to treat myself. I hated all the cream and the syrup was too sweet so I ended up just having a couple of mouth gulls of the sponge! I am a thankful for these changes it makes me feel like a healthy person. I always used to wonder at the people that chose a small piece of cake with a drizzle of cream and a side salad instead of some thudded fried to go with their meal because they preferred the cleaner taste of food but now that's me!

Hehe this was me straight after the op :p Then 2 pregnancies rekindled my love of all the naughty stuff and we're having an affair all over again. 23 weeks along and 8lb gain despite that ain't bad though :p (after an initial 12.5st loss!) ;) xXx

Anything oily for me is a no now..i use to love fish and chips..the thought of battered fish now, oh my god! Bbllaarrrr!! Other than that still a picky eater so no change there!!

Its not much that makes me feel weird, coffee now gives me the " tom tits" so quick its not funny and as for eggs....I like eggs but eggs dont like me comes up quicker than when it went it and only once had drinking chocolate. ....never again felt dizzy, light headed, sweats the whole lot

For me it was tea, pre-op I was a 15+++ mugs a day of tea, the day after my op I was given a cuppa and it was horrid, oh its hospital tea I thought when I get home to my own tea it'll be fine, but nope I was off tea for several weeks! Now I'm back to my 15-20 cup a day habit :)

For me it was tea, pre-op I was a 15+++ mugs a day of tea, the day after my op I was given a cuppa and it was horrid, oh its hospital tea I thought when I get home to my own tea it'll be fine, but nope I was off tea for several weeks! Now I'm back to my 15-20 cup a day habit :)

Funny you mention tea Butterfly Lady, I am also a big tea drinker myself but I have had to changed tea bags from Tetleys which I have drank for 30 years to Yorkshire, strange

I don't like salmon anymore or bananas, I don't like sugar in tea anymore. I don't like food as spicy anymore either. I am not so keen on fatty foods either.

During my pre op consultations one of the dieticians told me to expect my tastes to change and that some foods I liked I wouldn't after the operations, I thought at the time she was crazy but now I am starting to believe. I now find these 5 foods/tastes in particular I just don't like anymore, all of which were firm favourites pre op. 1. Tinned tomato soup - Way to sweet, have tried thinning it with water or a little milk but no joy. (I had some tins in the cupboard to experiment with). 2. Tinned Beans - Again way to sweet when eaten on there own, have used them added to a chilli as I don't like kidney beans (I'm the guy with the little pile of kidney beans at the side of my plate when I eat out) 3. Onions - OK as an underlying flavour in soup or stuff but can't take a strong onion flavour now which sucks a bit. 4. Hummus - I know it good for protein but Yuck, just Yuck. 5. Bananas - Cant explain it, I used them in smoothies on puree stage, now even the smell makes me cringe. Anyone else find this happened to them ? If so what changed for you ?

Curry or spicy foods! Can't believe it as I could eat curry every night if Id wanted before!
Re-beans, I found normal ones too sweet and now buy Heinz 50% less sugar and I can eat those easily.
Other things I seem to be fine with. X

Hehe this was me straight after the op :p Then 2 pregnancies rekindled my love of all the naughty stuff and we're having an affair all over again. 23 weeks along and 8lb gain despite that ain't bad though :p (after an initial 12.5st loss!) ;) xXx

Old habits crept in after my band too after two pregnancies and eight years! I'm hoping to keep this one for life I dont want to go through another surgery!

Old habits crept in after my band too after two pregnancies and eight years! I'm hoping to keep this one for life I dont want to go through another surgery!

I did well and resumed 'normal' diet in between pregnancies but the sweeties taste SO good. I didn't care for sweets pre op. I was a chocolate monster. I'm giving my body a break after this baby. Bypass and 2 pregnancies in 29 months is hard work :p

So far I'm seeing the following changes:

• White fish. Gives me terrible stomach cramps now and I used to eat a lot of white fish previously.
  • Red meat. Same issue; it ties my stomach in knots and I sometimes end up being sick.
  • Spicy foods. Always loved them, but now I'm on spicy hyperdrive. I have to get other people to taste what I've cooked otherwise I'll keep adding spices as everything tastes bland to me.
  • Bread. Total no-no. Tried a few bites of sourdough bread over Xmas and threw up about 5 minutes later.
  • Milk. Never really liked it and generally used Almond milk. Now I love a mug of warm milk and find it settles my tummy.
  • Fruit. Another stomach cramp inducer and, again, it just tastes bland.
  • Vegetarian. To me a meal wasn't a meal without meat, but now I find that I'm going far more towards lentils, pulses and tofu as the softer texture seems to suit me better.

Back