• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

TERRIFIED! Is this normal with 4 weeks to go?

LisaG

Disappearing slowly
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend has just convinced me to write something on here to ask for some help...I thought I might sound a bit nuts but here goes....

I'm scheduled for my bypass 4 weeks today. I haven't slept at all for the past week (well, not more than 2 hours a night on an off anyway); When I do manage to fall asleep I have very vivid nightmares about my surgery and about dying; My boss told me this week how proud she is of me for being so strong and calm...then I burst into tears...and haven't stopped since; And finally when I'm showering I have bizarre thoughts about what they're going to do to me and feel it's just not right to be cutting into my body like that.

So there you go. I'm going crazy and will soon be sent to the loony bin. I really don't think I can carry on like this for 4 weeks and really need some questions answered so I can accept it and calm down.

The main worry I think is that I haven't been told anything about what is going to happen on the day. I've never had an op before, never had an anesthetic before, I don't know what happens when I arrive at 7 am. So these are my questions:

Do I wait in a waiting room?
Will I go to a ward and get comfortable?
Who will come to see me before the op?
What do they use to put me out?
Where to they put it?
What does it feel like?
Will I dream?
What if I wake up?
When I come round what will I be wearing and where will I be?
How will this feel?
Will I be sick?
Will I be in pain?

I think that's about it for now. I'm sorry to be a pain asking a million questions but if anyone can answer a few that will be great. I'm at the Whittington in London.

:eek: :cry: :sign0009:

Hi Lisa

I have 4 weeks to go too and I went through the same kind of process last week. I had a period where I wasreally quite depressed about the whole thing. I'm sure it's normal when we're facing such a big undertaking.

I'm coping by (like you) finding out as much as I can about what I can expect and by posting here.

I'm also looking at lots of people's before and after photos to help me keep sight of the goal.

Keep your chin up!

Hi there i was banded and like you I had never even been in hospital before this, so let me try and answer your questions with openess and honesty.

Usually you are seen at the reception desk and they show you up to your ward, the ward sister then books you in and you are shown to your ward and bed.
You will, they will give you a rough idea of when you are going for surgery and they will also come and tell you when to have the shower and change into the gown and stuff. You normally have to shower and wash hair in betadine (so you is very clean) but they test you for allergy to this first.
Nurses will normally do bloods and obs, the the anaesthetist normally comes to see you and sometimes the surgeon but is not always guaranteed as he could be in surgery. Then you are asked to sign off consent forms.
They use general anesthethic which is a mix of a liquid injected via a cannula (normally in back of hand and then gas to help you off to sleep. The anaesthetic is gauged on your weight and it is very and extremely rare to wake up. There is also a muscle relaxant mixed in.
Where to they put it?
You will have a drip type cannula (plastic needle) inserted somewhere on your arm, the liquid part is fed through that first, then the gas is a mask over your face once on the surgeons table.
What does it feel like?
Quite nice actually, I felt calm and at peace...like drifting off into a calm sleep.
Will I dream?
Very unlikely...from the moment I was under to when I came too I had no recollection of anything.
What if I wake up?
This is monitored very closely during surgery and is so rare but you would never come fully too and they would have you under again before you know it.
Firstly you will be in a recovery area until you are fully lucid and with it. Then you are moved back to ward or in some cases after a bypass HDu (High Dependancy Unit). You will be wearing a gown like the one you went down to surgery in.
How will this feel? Will I be sick? Will I be in pain?
When you first come round they will have given you pains meds but as these wear off you may need more. Some people feel nauseous from the anaesthetic and are sick. Truthfully yes this is a painful proceedure. I felt like I had been hit by a truck but the pain meds made it bearable.

With banding, the operation and recovery is a quicker, so you might feel wiped out from anything from 2-6 weeks. A doctor usually signs people off for up to six weeks.

But as you recover, this all fades away. its a bit like having a baby...the pain is diminished as the results start to show.

This is just my experience of hospital and all hospital run very different ships.

Good luck with your journey and try hard to keep calm and relaxed...no point raising the old blood pressure.

My best advice I could give is once you are there, just let them take control and go with the flow. My mum gave me those words and I held them dear and it worked...

Best wishes xxx

Hi Lisa I am 11 days pre op and am terrified too hun. Got myself convinced I will be the one in 200 or whatever it is that doesn't make it through the op. Have had the dreams where the doctor is telling my Mum, Dad and hubby they did everything the could and woke up in a cold sweat.
Someone told me it just proves you understand what a major thing you are doing.
It's years since I last had an operation, about 16 years but for what happens
I was made comfortable in the ward and had everything explained to me.
I don't remember who I actually saw before the op but I had a pre med which made me relaxed and drowsy about an hour before I was wheeled to theatre.
I had a drip put int he back of my hand and was told to cound backwards from 10 and I tried so hard to get to 1 but think I made it to 5. I woke up 3 hours later in recovery crying and asking for my Daddy! Each time i have been put out I have woken up crying and asking for him.
I dont' remember dreaming while i was out but did feel incredibly sick when i came round and was given anti nausea jabs.
I don't think you'll be getting carted off to the loony bin sweetie
Anne xx

Try not to worry too much, Just try and remember all you have been through to get to this point. There would be something wrong if you werent a little aprehensive.
Chin up and look forward to your new life x

I posted something similar to this when I was pre op so let me tell you what everyone said to me then, being terrified is perfectly normal! We'd be worried if you weren't at least slightly worried.

No, I was shown to my room straight away.

Yes, it could be a while before you're called for your operation. I was waiting from 7.30am till 5.20pm, I was last on the list so I had time to unpack and get settled.

The surgeon and the anesthatist came to see me as well as several nurses. They explained everything that was going to happen when I did get into theatre. Plus this is an opportunity to ask any questions, make a list if you have several, it will help jog your memory.

I'm not sure on this point.

Where to they put it?
Mine was put directly into a vein via a cannular in the back of my hand.

What does it feel like?
For me I felt really heavy in my limbs and then just went out.

Will I dream?
I've had 3 general anasthetics in my life and I didn't dream with any of them.

What if I wake up?
This is very unlikely to happen.

When I came round I was still in the gown they gave me (minus the knickers) and I was in the High Dependency Unit. I was minus my knickers as they put in a catheter, this isn't widespread practice though.

How will this feel?
I won't lie to you about this, you will feel sore. I felt like I'd been kicked in the ribs by a horse, but it's subjective. People feel different things, I was particularly bruised for some reason, other people have had less painful experiences.

Will I be sick?
I wasn't after surgery. I didn't start being sick until recently (I'll be 6 weeks post op on Monday). I was frightened to eat after surgery, I was given some blended porridge with plenty of milk but I got that down quite easily.

Will I be in pain?
Yes, but the nurses will be able to give you a variety of pain relief. It's more discomfort than pain that I remember most.

I hope this helps. It might be an idea to go and see your gp to see if he/she could give you something to help you sleep and relax until your operation. Best of luck to you xx

Lisa trust me the hospital have and will do every feasable test on you there is so when you go to theatre both you and they will be 100% sure it will be ok, just think of all the bad things that your weight has caused both mentally and physically and then think after my successful operation my new life will begin, good luck and try not to worry you will be in very safe hands.

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend has just convinced me to write something on here to ask for some help...I thought I might sound a bit nuts but here goes....

I'm scheduled for my bypass 4 weeks today. I haven't slept at all for the past week (well, not more than 2 hours a night on an off anyway); When I do manage to fall asleep I have very vivid nightmares about my surgery and about dying; My boss told me this week how proud she is of me for being so strong and calm...then I burst into tears...and haven't stopped since; And finally when I'm showering I have bizarre thoughts about what they're going to do to me and feel it's just not right to be cutting into my body like that.

So there you go. I'm going crazy and will soon be sent to the loony bin. I really don't think I can carry on like this for 4 weeks and really need some questions answered so I can accept it and calm down.

The main worry I think is that I haven't been told anything about what is going to happen on the day. I've never had an op before, never had an anesthetic before, I don't know what happens when I arrive at 7 am. So these are my questions:

Where to they put it?
What does it feel like?
Will I dream?
What if I wake up?
How will this feel?
Will I be sick?
Will I be in pain?

I think that's about it for now. I'm sorry to be a pain asking a million questions but if anyone can answer a few that will be great. I'm at the Whittington in London.

:eek: :cry: :sign0009:

Ok first question, are you normal...........well having met you then no. But if we're ONLY talking about the op and your feelings about the op then YES!!!!!!! I felt exactly the same way as soon as I started the pre-op diet. Not sure if the realisation set in and freaked me out or what!!! It does get easier, I promise!! I felt quite calm after about two weeks (apart from the odd wobble!!!).

I will post my op journey tomorrow and it will answer all of your questions.......it will obviously be very specific to the Whit and Heath so will be good for you I think!!!!

Remember, feel free to text anytime of day or night if you're having a freakout!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I haven't had WLS yet but have been under anaesthetic before for a different operation. I was very nervous before hand too and kept imagining what might go wrong. I guess it's a big thing to undertake something where you have to put yourself in someone elses hands. But your surgeon is an expert and you're going to be fine.
When they gave me the injection to knock me out, they didn't ask me to count. They just said to close my eyes. I was stubborn and tried to keep them open for as long as possible to make sure they didn't start opening me up before I was fully knocked out! I think I remember blinking three times then I was out like a light lol.
I do remember coming round and flirting with the male nurse in my groggy state. Then later on I was asked if I wanted pain relief. OMG that morphine is lovely stuff. It's like a warm feeling spreading all over you.

I will worry about everything else if I go through with operation but NOT the anesthethic . For me when I had my gallbladder removed I found it a nice experience! I saw the surgery lights and started to think the anesthetic is not working but was then asked about Christmas (op in jan) and just felt myself drifting off.

Next thing I woke up in recovery and tried to help the nurse take the blanket from under me...not reccomended but still.

When I woke up in my private room I was not in agony (keyhole) I just felt this weird sensation from my belly and it was as if I would never be able to sit up again. Withing a few hours I was sitting up in pyjamas watching tv with family.

Before the operation it was the anesthetic that made me panic from bad stories I had heard but anethetists are very clever people...they study for years and years at what they do.

You are being perfectley normal, i think people go through a mixture of feelings, personaly i was like you a few weeks up to my op but as i read more and more threads on here my feelings started to change as i think they gave me confidence. I remember thinking if im like this now how on earth am i going to be on the day of my op but to my amazement the day of the op i was so excited! Everything that i'd been waiting/praying for for the past year had finally arrived and i was soon going to be fit and healthy again.The op and recovery went really well and here i am 9 months on weighing 9 stone less. Good luck with your op xxx

hi sweet i even cried on the way in to the room! it is a hugeeee thing eh? ill answer to because everyone is a little different but ur right to post on here.. all this ppl have personal experience and answer honestly as they can! i love this site and all the help everyone gives anyway...

i did and then they gave me my gown and socks and let me wait in a little side room thingy.
i didnt go untill after the op but i was with my hubby and my mum
the anethesist and a nurse came to see me
they put a drip in ur hand and then i just had a mask over my face and zzzzzz
Where to they put it?
^^^
What does it feel like?
i didnt feel it
Will I dream?
i dont remember dreaming but i might have..
What if I wake up?
u defo wont.. it took me 2 hours to wake up in recovery.. they let u wake up on ur own
i had my gown on my socks and a blanket i was in recovery
How will this feel?
i felt sick but ok
Will I be sick?
i wasent they got me some anti sickness and it went str8 away
Will I be in pain?
i actually wasent.. untill i got an infection the next day!

HTH xx

Hi Lisa i 2 am a Whitt patient :) and am having my op on Tuesday :)
I can totally understand how u r feeling and i have felt like that 2 from bout 4 weeks pre op.
Hun all i can say is that the Whit have a fab reputation, Mr Sufi, Mr Heath, Kirsten and Lucy are a good team and u will be in good hands.
I must say the last 2 nights i have not slept at all and been up every hr to go 2 the loo and all i can think if is that my surgery is on Tuesday and that 72 hrs from typing this post i very likely will be in surgery, yes that excites me but scares me as well.
The knowledge that the whit`s bariatirc team is a fab one helps to put my mind at ease.
If u would like to chat at any time b4 now and monday, as i am going in the night b4 my op then feel free to pm me.
Take care and chat soon, and maybe will meet up at one of the support groups xxx

If you weren't nervous it would be abnormal. Trepidation is absolutely normal when you are facing what many of us on here are facing or have faced. And the facts are that here we all are on the other side, post surgery and loving it!

You will wake up. You will wake up, just keep repeating that. The team that is doing your bypass will be used to dealing with obese people who are at a higher risk. So you are surrounded by the absolutely best people available.
I would speak to your department as I did. And make sure that when you come out of theatre you are given plenty of anti nausea meds and pain relief so at least those bases are covered and you don't have to fret about them.
As for going to sleep. I too did not dream, I closed my eyes and then opened them again and it was all over. You will feel rough after, there is no getting away from that, but most of it can be allieviated by getting the right meds. But it will quickly pass, and you will be so proud of yourself for coping so well.
If you read my diary, waiting and weighting, you will see I had periods of being absolutely petrified, considered writing a will, became very morbid to the point I thought about not buying stuff in case I died and didn't use them!!!
You will fine, as most of us on here will tell you. You really will be fine.

:grouphugg:Sending you a great big hug from everyone here all thinking of you. I'm pre op and my doubts haven't set in yet I still have excitement at the mo. I will prob come to you for advice when my time comes. Keep your chin up girl and good luck.

Can't add anymore than the wise words already given. Its all very normal the way you are feeling, i was the exact same. Post on here and we will keep you going i found the support i received invaluable to keeping me sane. Try and focus on all the benefits that are coming your way and keep yourself as busy as possible. Meanwhile continue to ask any questions cause thats how we all got reassurance. I look forward to sharing your experience and for now sending you lots of hugs filled with positive vibes and confidence for you xx

I've just come on here to write something very similar...

I am also terrified and my operation is on Monday.

I feel sick as a pig and my stomach doesn't know if it is coming or going! I've even thought about cancelling the operation I feel that bad. But, I do know it will be all worth it once it has been done.

I found out yesterday that I am 1st on the surgeons list which has helped knowing that I won't be sitting around waiting to go down to theatre.

I'm expecting my blood pressure to be through the roof come Monday morning. :eek: x

Thank you all so so so much for putting all the effort in to your replies...it really means so much and has been so helpful. I've cried all the way through reading your posts but mainly from relief that I'm not being a crazy woman and that you all know what I'm feeling. I really appriciate all your answers xxx

Julie, good luck on Monday - big hugs to you x

And Roch, good luck on Tuesday - big hugs to you too...I look forward to seeing you on the other side at one of the meetings x

Back