• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The beginning

KayMarie

Hi everyone, I have been lurking for some time now, reading everyone's stories and looking at everyone's advice and tips and it's been really helpful. I started my weight loss journey a month or so ago, when I went to see a private consultant regarding a gastric band, when got there we spent a lot of time discussing things and went back a couple of weeks later an discussed them further and decided that actually the bypass is the best option for me, I had every intention if taking a loan and paying for the surgery myself but my consultant and husband pushed for me to seek support from my GP and ask for a referral to be made for funded surgery.

Anyway, I received my letter inviting me to make an appointment with Leeds Weight management service and am quite anxious to go really. It states in the letter that they will assess me and want to work with me for 12 weeks to see if they feel I am suitable for surgery and that this time will be about looking at willingness/ability to make changes?

I just wondered if people would be able to share their experiences of this stage in their weight loss surgery journey and give me an insight In to what it's going to be about, what they are going to want me to do, what they are you going to be looking for and what will the next stage after this be? When will they actually decide if they think I am suitable for the surgery?

Any information would be much appreciated :)

Thanks

Kayleigh

Hello! Love your dog I have one the same :) well I'm from Wakefield and was referred beg of Oct to weight management. Last week I attended an appointment with the consultant who told me to lose 10% and keep a food diary. He said the 12 week diet and exercise classes begin in January and when they finish I will see him again and he will put in for funding and begin the process to surgery. I hope this helps but all areas seem to be different although I think Leeds is similar process to ours. Good luck x

Just to say welcome to posting and good luck to you! I think its a very positive thing that you've looked into the various surgeries and going with what is right for you :)

I had my band fitted privately, but wanted to wish you well :)

hi and welcome goodluck with everything

Hi all,

I have just started my journey today, as back in August 2013 I was referred by my GP to Homerton Hospital for weight loss surgery, last week I saw a Dietarian, and today I saw a Bariatric Consultant. I was told to loss 5% of my body weight and be tested for sleep apnoeas. I was told that the surgeon would recommend me for surgery – the sleeve. However the consultant did state it would around 6 months maybe more before having surgery. They also noted that the NHS is now referring people onto the Tier 3 Weight Loss Management Programme as part of the NACE guidelines before having the surgery but very few trust do the programme, therefore people like me are likely to be kept waiting for sometime. Therefore I am thinking going privately.
:(

Hi I'm from Leeds too, had my bypass on October 3rd at Jimmy's, I can't help you I'm afraid, I saw the community dietician in Bramley, and was referred straight away as my bmi was 52, if I can give you any advice at all it's lose as much weight as you can, I know it's difficult (else we wouldn't be starting this journey) but they will not refuse you funding based on you losing weight they will however if they think you can't change your lifestyle and gain weight.

Good luck and welcome to the forum xxx

Thanks for the advice and best wishes everyone, especially about the advice of losing the weight and showing I am willing to change and just need some stern help! I rang to book my appointment with the clinic this morning and their earliest appointment is 9th January 2014, so that's a bluergh and that's at Wetherby Health Centre too (I work right next to it, so easy to get to)!

Aw it will fly by, you've got Christmas to distract you, the whole process took me 18 months in the end because I got "lost in the system" it's worth it though. Don't be afraid to chase them if it takes a long time, I wish I had x

hiya! good luck with everything, i went private so cant really comment but hope your wait isnt too long! x

Hi everyone,

I have my first appointment with the weight loss team tomorrow. I am a little nervous as I don't know what to expect and don't really know what say! Any advice/experience or tips?

Thanks

X x

i guess just show them how well your doing going by your stats your obvs commited to losing the weight as youve done brilliantly already, and just be truly honest when they ask questions about diet e.t.c! x x good luck x

Just an update! Went for my appointment this morning, he immediately say me down to say that I wasnt eligible for Bariatric surgery because my BMI is 47, and explained about the national guidelines, which I already knew about!

He THEN weighed me and said, actually, you've out some weight on since the referral in November. He calculated it and said, your BMI is 50 and you are eligible for surgery. He followed this by saying "Can I ask, has someone told you to gain weight before coming to this appointment?", I was a little taken a back by this but was honest and said, no, it's been Christmas, I've definitely been slack about what I've eaten because of this and that I would be starting a diet in the new year but that I had not actively been trying to lose weight. I was a bit taken a back by this because it does look like ive purposely done this and the fact that I'm bang on 50 BMI.

Anyway, that's by the by. He's asked me to set some goals with him, I've said I will cut out take aways and eating out and that I will concentrate on portion sizes. Also, I've committed to 2 classes a week at the gym and to walk the dogs 4 times a week (I have chi's and a shin Tzu, they refuse to walk any more than this lol), he's them booked me back in, in 8 weeks time to see what I have managed to lose.

When I asked him, just so I had it right in my mind that I am eligible for surgery, he said yes and that I would need to work with them for a minimum of 12 weeks and then we can see where I'm at and he will support me if I still want to go for the surgery but did strongly give the impression that he thought working with them long term would be better.

So I don't really know what to think really. I've dusted my gym clothes off and packed up my lunch for tomorrow and will crack on with it.

Hi everyone, well it's been 6 months since I last posted. I've been with a dietician then gone to the 12 week management course which was really good but I only lost a little weight. Anyway, I've been referred to Spire Leeds for my surgery, I received a letter through today to let me know that my blood results and referral has gone to them.

I spoke to spire and they said I will be discussed at the MDT on 7th June and then invited to a group Seminar and then 1:1 consultation, they said after this you're given a date. I just wanted to ask about people's experiences of Spire in Leeds?

Thanks in advance x x

Hi everyone, just an update.

I've had the last of my meetings with Spire today, this one being my 1:1 WITH the consultant and have been given my date which is..........

14TH AUGUST!!!!

Just over 2 weeks away! So I start my liver shrinking diet on Monday!!!! I guess I need to start thinking about what I need to take in to hospital with me!

Hi everyone, just an update.

I've had the last of my meetings with Spire today, this one being my 1:1 WITH the consultant and have been given my date which is..........

14TH AUGUST!!!!

Just over 2 weeks away! So I start my liver shrinking diet on Monday!!!! I guess I need to start thinking about what I need to take in to hospital with me!
Congratulations - that is great news.

Chrisy

That's great news Kaymarie, I remember your original post back in Dec 13, I bet your happy you've been given a date. I'm waiting for mine.... Are you having your treatment on the NHS or privately?

Back