• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The dreaded plateu

rubyred15

Hi, need some help please,,,i think ive hit my plateu,,,im not loosing ? Got my restriction ,,,not had a fill since march,,,,,,,but im stuck now ?????? Should i go for a tiny fill ?????? Got a bit more to loose yet ? Cant get past 12.7 lbs. HELP. !!!!!!!!!! Rubyxxxx

I'm not a bander but I get plateaus regularly no matter how good I have been. I seem to have a cycle now of two weeks loss with two weeks plateau. I have stopped stressing about them now. Also keep a check on your measurements as you may well be losing but it just doesn't show on the scales. I was in my plateau last week but had lost an inch off my waist and off my hips so something was happening. I don't know how the band works but as you still have restriction then it sounds like all is still good. X

ruby, if you have restriction and a good level of it, then I would probably not go down that route yet. A real change of diet can help, the past two weeks I've really switched up my eating, and am going through an increased protein but reduced carb stage and I'm finding that the plateau I was on of losing 1lb if I was lucky has really started to shift. Even though prior to that my carbs were limited to around 70g, I did notice that things slowed down when on a few days within a week they were hitting 90-100g per day. While it may not seem such a massive amount, it has been interesting being able to look back at the food diary to see how things changed and what slows it down so that I can make a conscious decision to change what I'm eating.

I eat a lot of yoghurts and milk, but have taken those out apart from half pint (I only drink skimmed anyway) and also upped my water intake and not drinking it mixed with NAS squash. I was also having a "treat" a day, of some sort, whether it be a biscuit or a piece of chocolate or something as I don't come into this with a thought that foods are "good" or "bad" and my provider doesn't ban any foods. But, it is about really looking at what I eat and how it effects the weight loss.

This recent change where I've gone to under 50g a day max carbs (and indeed in the past 5 days under 30g per day carbs) has seen those scales shift. Last week I lost 3 1/2lb and this week although I don't weigh in until thursday, I feel as if I have possibly lost more than that. Hunger is a big issue with me and my band as I still have such very very limited restriction, it is only on certain foods that Im reminded of my band (and even that reminder has gone recently) but in terms of amounts and portion sizes it doesn't, but what I have found in reducing those carbs to a slightly lower amount again for a while and really focussing on the protein is that the hunger that I did have has eased slightly and I know that this has contributed a great deal to not then feeling hungry and potentially eating more (so again, slowing the weight loss), I know increased activity has also played a part, I've done a gym workout 13 days out of the last 15 and swimming on the other days, I'm still walking a good hour + per day but my gym workout has changed to focus on toning and I'm noticing a difference again, in how it has kick started the metabolism.

What are you doing exercise wise? Sometimes we need to shake it up to boost the metabolism, something which eating at different times than you normally eat can also do.

What are you eating? Do you keep a food diary? Often a good shake up will help - it does slow down, are you recording measurements and body fat % too as this can be an indicator even if the lbs aren't going - but if you can look at where you are, and see how you can give it a real shake up to boost that metabolism, because that alone can be a way of shifting the scales.

What you do not want to do, is overfill, because that is when you will then start turning to "slider" foods which aren't great in terms of what they are . . .

Have you spoken to your provider? What have they said?

You've done great and we all plateau and it is hard and frustrating when you're working hard to lose it. I know for me of late I've had to be really honest with myself and really work on the focus that I have. It does make a difference :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys,,,kat , you are allways on the money,,,,,,ive taken it all in ,,,,i will ring my provider today? To see what advice they can give,,,,i know ive not been drinking enough water,,,,ill also up my exercise regime, which is mainly. Walking walking and more walking lol! Thanks everyone ill keep you posted ? 7 more pounds and i can have plastics done. hoor-rahhhhhhhh xxxxrubyx

Back