• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Have I hit a plateu already?????????

pinkylin

Hi all I get weighed every sunday and I did yesterday and Ive not lost anything in a wk does this mean ive hit a plateu already????

I do struggle with eating meat but this week im goin to try and get it down me as much as possible and see if that helps any. I really hope I havnt hit a plateu as Im only 10wks out:eek:!!!!

I was hoping to be in my 16s for my birthday which is tomorrow but I know thats not goin to happen now boohoo

So is there any advice off anyone please as im a lil bit upset about this tar lin.x:wave_cry::(:confused::cry::sigh:

Hi I'm just over three months post op and have just had a really slow December :0(. I recommend to increase your protein intake and exercise - decrease carbs and stay positive. I have just dropped 7lbs this week by doing this. It will definately restart so don't worry too much. Good luck xxx

thanx tink i really do struggle with my protein so im goin to try and drink more milk eat more cheese pnut butter and meat and fish just try and get it all in as best i can lol

Hi Pinky

Describe what your eating daily ?

I know some very good ways to break a plateau, but first need to understand what your eatng and your daily calorie intake - be honest with yourself about your eating though.

hiya ss well to be honest im not eating much and im naughty i dont know my calorie intake oops

yesterday for example i had half a weetabix with semi skimmed milk 1 hot choc low fat my first since op made with milk for lundh i had cheesy mash a small babys bowl full but it wasnt overfull if you know what i mean and for the first time i managed to eat it all and not leave any lol my tea i had 1 and a half crispbreads with ww tuna in mayo and sweetcorn and a pkt of ww hoola hoop crisps again ive not had crisps in ages so its not a dalit habit water and 2 cups of tea and that was about it for yesterday hun does that help any?

Pinky - without a doubt your not eating enough hun - you need to increase your calorie intake.

1, eat high protein low carbs - this tricks the body into starting weight lose again - this means more meat, chicken, turkey, fish and dairy. and no bread, rice, pasta or pasty for a week or so.
2, drink loads more water - as much as you can as this flushes the body clear
3, dont drink and eat at the same time and dont drink for at least an hour post meal
4, eat 3 full meals a day, this mean you eat to full restriction, that slightly tight uncomfortable feel in your chest !
5, change your exercise, walk a bit further or do something different, the body gets used to the same thing and it becomes routine
6, cut out all the crap slider foods, anything that is high cals like crisp, chocolate etc is out for the next week or so, or until you get your weight lose moving again.

Do this and follow my advice and you will start to lose again, it works i and many others have adopted these techniques and they work for breaking a plateau, the main thing is you have to feed your body more better foods.

Good advice from SS, although I personally disagree with eating to restriction; I eat 3 meals a day but never to restriction, only until I'm comfortably full. Pinky you can stall at any time hun, I did at 3 weeks post op but upped my food intake and things started moving rapidly again.

Good luck,
Cuppa xx

Pinky - without a doubt your not eating enough hun - you need to increase your calorie intake.

1, eat high protein low carbs - this tricks the body into starting weight lose again - this means more meat, chicken, turkey, fish and dairy. and no bread, rice, pasta or pasty for a week or so.
2, drink loads more water - as much as you can as this flushes the body clear
3, dont drink and eat at the same time and dont drink for at least an hour post meal
4, eat 3 full meals a day, this mean you eat to full restriction, that slightly tight uncomfortable feel in your chest !
5, change your exercise, walk a bit further or do something different, the body gets used to the same thing and it becomes routine
6, cut out all the crap slider foods, anything that is high cals like crisp, chocolate etc is out for the next week or so, or until you get your weight lose moving again.

Do this and follow my advice and you will start to lose again, it works i and many others have adopted these techniques and they work for breaking a plateau, the main thing is you have to feed your body more better foods.
thanx ss but like i sed im goin to try and eat as much protein foods i can get in this week and every week lol but i really do struggle to get quantity in to my pouch im hoping within time it will get a lil bigger so i can put a lil more in i alwasy stop eatin when i feel a lil restriction so i knw im putin what it can hold in so i dont know how to get more in apart from drinkin more milk and im goin to get some babybell cheees so i can snack on these throughout the day thanx again lin.x

Good advice from SS, although I personally disagree with eating to restriction; I eat 3 meals a day but never to restriction, only until I'm comfortably full. Pinky you can stall at any time hun, I did at 3 weeks post op but upped my food intake and things started moving rapidly again.

Good luck,
Cuppa xx
hiya hun yeh i dont eat untill it hurts or i feel sik i just eat till i know im fullish like you but i do struggle getin meat down me and i struggle with eggs to but im just goin to have to kep tryin and see what happens thanx for advice hun lin.x

I had the Bypass same day as you and the last 5 weeks have gone 4lbs for 4 weeks and 2lbs last week but weighed myself today and dropped 9lbs so take the advice and most of all dont worry.

Restriction is the slightly tight feeling you get in your chest when you eat a full meal, at an early stage you will manage very little to reach restriction as your pouch is made about 2oz in size, this will slowly over time stretch to around 6 oz in size and you'll find you can accomodate more food - at this stage you eat what you can.
Restriction is the only way that you know your full, the idea of the small stoma between your pouch and upper GI tract is to slow the progression of food, if you dont fill the pouch with each meal you will eventually find that a single meal will not maintain saity between meals and you'll find yourself getting hungry. Its important to understand the mechanics of your op and how the pouch works as this is what you'll use longer term to lose anmd eventually mainatin your weight lose.

Restriction is the slightly tight feeling you get in your chest when you eat a full meal...

Restriction is the only way that you know your full...

Hi SS, I'm not wanting to disagree with you over this as I know you have done extremely well with your weightloss and your advice is very good, however, when you talk about eating to restriction and getting a tight feeling in your chest, I don't think this is necessarily the case for everyone. I do not get any sort of tight feeling in my chest when I am full, I just know when I have had enough and have learned to stop and not carry on. It took a few weeks to learn when I had reached this point but now it's easy and I seldom overeat. If I get past the stage of fullness, THEN I get an uncomfortable feeling in my chest/pouch area but that for me means I have taken it too far.

Hope you don't mind me commenting on this but I just feel your way may not necesarily be the same for everyone.

Cuppa xx

Hi SS, I'm not wanting to disagree with you over this as I know you have done extremely well with your weightloss and your advice is very good, however, when you talk about eating to restriction and getting a tight feeling in your chest, I don't think this is necessarily the case for everyone. I do not get any sort of tight feeling in my chest when I am full, I just know when I have had enough and have learned to stop and not carry on. It took a few weeks to learn when I had reached this point but now it's easy and I seldom overeat. If I get past the stage of fullness, THEN I get an uncomfortable feeling in my chest/pouch area but that for me means I have taken it too far.

Hope you don't mind me commenting on this but I just feel your way may not necesarily be the same for everyone.

Cuppa xx

Hi Cuppa - no not at all hun, i dont mind anyone challenging me either, one thing i have learn't above all else is that we are all different, what one person experiences another might not and so on, of course the basics remain the same for us all but we are all different.
I suspect you are actually eating to restriction anyway, and as you say by trial and error you have learn't exactly jopw much you can consume in one meal to make you full, when i reach restriction i get a slightly tight feeling in my chest where my pouch is, this the pouch pressing against the inside of my breast bone and tells me i'm full, push this and i'm sick ......and that can be as little as an extra mouthful of food. I questioned my consultant about this feeling and his advice was to get to love it, because this reminds me that i still do have a good level of restriction and my bypass is still working and more importantly i've ate enough food.

SS - I know you have a bypass but do you know anything about teh mechanics of the band. Of course I know what i have had done blah blah but in all honesty I cannot explain how it actually works !!!
so in my words only -
I have a band (with no fills yet) I am on pureed food so these go through teh band into belly out of body... when i have a fill there will be restriction i eat sloppy food it does nothing but goes through the band into belly and out of body. I eat something bigger but chew it well...does it go through or stay above band ? if it stays above does this mean its stuck ? or that because i have chewed it well enough it will eventually work its way through the band ?
sorry for raiding your post. x

SS - I know you have a bypass but do you know anything about teh mechanics of the band. Of course I know what i have had done blah blah but in all honesty I cannot explain how it actually works !!!
so in my words only -
I have a band (with no fills yet) I am on pureed food so these go through teh band into belly out of body... when i have a fill there will be restriction i eat sloppy food it does nothing but goes through the band into belly and out of body. I eat something bigger but chew it well...does it go through or stay above band ? if it stays above does this mean its stuck ? or that because i have chewed it well enough it will eventually work its way through the band ?
sorry for raiding your post. x

Yep its basically pretty simple and your correct, you have a band around the top of your stomach to create a smaller stomach at the top (aka your pouch) this works in the same way as your old or normal stomach does, once you have the band tightened up the hole between the two stomachs will get progressively smaller with each fill and thus restrict the amount of food you can eat in one meal, this is fundermentally the same at this point to a bypass. At this point the simularities change slightly, as when the food in your pouch falls through your restriction it goes into your old stomach and carries on as normal, for this reason its particulary important that banders are aware of slider or liquid foods than simply run through, with the bypass the old stomach is cut of completely and the upper intestinal tract dragged up and joined directly to the new stomach pouch.

So for you with no restriction (no fill in your band) its almost as though its not there at present, your on liquids and sloppies now to allow the swelling to go down and allow the band time to settle into its new home, they actually stitch the band in place, so pushing the band to early could tear the stitching and cause the band to move.

Once you have a fill you'll find that you wont be able to consume as much food and will feel satisfied with a lot less, you may be asked to continue on sloppies post a fill to allow things to settle again before you start to test and push the device.

I was at one point dead set on havign a band, but my consultant recommed me away from it and to the bypass, and in hind sight i know he was right and the bypass was the right procedure for me, besides messing about with band fills and the fact i dont like needles, the thought of having a plastic object inside me worried me.

Its gona get better, so you have to just hang on in there with it, besides your an Ammori paitent and we cant have you letting the side down ;)

SS Thanks very much, good to know I was on the right track, I know Mr Ammori is fab and he said he thought the Bypass would be best for me (Probably because he prefers doing this to the band as it is pretty much 100% effective)
I woud lhate for him to be right so want this band to work.
thanks again
x

I agree with SS and CUPPA i think you are both actually saying the same thing! After reading many of SS posts i have made sure i eat to full restriction but this doesnt mean i get a tightening, for me i just feel bloated but feel it's our pouches telling us the same thing. I must admit that since eating till i'm full i have felt full up for much longer and this does stop me from pecking where as before i would just eat what seemed a reasonable portion, then feel hungry again a couple of hours later.

I agree with SS and CUPPA i think you are both actually saying the same thing! After reading many of SS posts i have made sure i eat to full restriction but this doesnt mean i get a tightening, for me i just feel bloated but feel it's our pouches telling us the same thing. I must admit that since eating till i'm full i have felt full up for much longer and this does stop me from pecking where as before i would just eat what seemed a reasonable portion, then feel hungry again a couple of hours later.

This is good Lisa and its a technique that will stand you in steed for the future, understanding and knowing your own pouch is one of the main keys to success longer term, many bypassers either dont like this feeling and steer away from it or never get it and longer term fail.

If your in Herne Bay where did you have your op ?

I will be eternaly grateful for that tip! I lived in orpington, kent, when i was put on the waiting list so qualified to have my op at The Princess Royal Hospital in Farnborough, kent. I moved to herne bay Aug 2008 and had my op may 2009.

hiya all like i sed b4 i eat till im quite full but not till i feel sik coz ive done this b4 and have had to b sik coz i can feel it coming up in my chest so now i dont do that i only eat till im fullish and i dont eat every couple of hours by doin this i only eat if im lucky about 3 times a day but im really wanting to try and eat bigger portions but at the mo i just cant do it so i just have smaller portions for now and just do what i can i look forward to the time when i can eat a chicken breast a spoonfull of veggies and 2 small potatoes lol

Back