• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The First Drink......

Ana_RW

SO 'm out for an 80's night on the 7th september - well supposed to be anyways.
I was just wondering when people had their first drink after surgery(alcoholic of course lol)
I'm not wanting to get drunk or whatever but, me thinks I might be tempted with a small glass of vino if I go and once the party spirit kicks in, I've not been out for the night in months and months.

Had a bypass on 25th June so the 7th Sept will be 11 weeks post op.

Any advice welcomed!
Thanks in advance x

Hi

I would say to check with your team as some advise no alcohol for a year post bypass ;)

water ice n lemon people think its a gin and tonic. xx I enjoy a drink and only have 1 or 2 now once a fortnight if i have wine have it with soda or diet lemonade with fizz zapped out make sthe wine go further and last longer.xx I know some don't agree with it so you have to get theinfromation and do what they suggest for the good of your health x

I have only just attempted a very small glass of wine. I could barely get through it. I used to easily drink a bottle on a night out pre op. I felt quite drunk too as we absorb it more quickly. Just check with the team but be careful. I usually have mineral water & a slice if lime which I squeeze in to it or unsweetened orange juice diluted with water. cranberry juice but watch sugar content. 1 drink lasts me ges o I'm a cheap date now. LOL

Thanks ladies, I will email my nurse and see what she says. It's no biggy I'd rather leave it than risk it. xx

I had a glass of wine at 7 weeks, my dietitian said this was not an issue as long as I remember that its empty calories and I may get drunk quicker. I have no problems with white wine, but find red wine very heavy.

Me too now. Always loved red but now only have white or rose but very occasionally.

Just don't do it.

All those empty calories and the affect it can have on us is much quicker.

You'll be brawling on the floor or telling everyone that 'I luv you, don't know who your are, but you're my best friend' after half a glass.

You'll be brawling on the floor or telling everyone that 'I luv you, don't know who your are, but you're my best friend' after half a glass.

This is half the fun! Lol ;)

I'm just waiting on an answer from my nurse, I don't plan on drinking entirely but, it was more if once I get there and everyone else is and it gets on well and I get in the party mood and just can't help myself then it'd be nice to know that it's not gonna do any damage.

Hope your feeling well muttley xx

I had a small glass of white wine last night. I wanted a little treat as I'm on holiday. Managed it over an hour & 1/2. Enjoyed it & didn't want anymore. didn't feel drunk but not going to push it. Understand it is empty calories but usually I am so good with my diet felt I could have it. Also a bit of a test as pre op I would probably had most of the bottle over an evening. I felt I didn't 'want' or 'need' any more than this small glass. I feel that since my op I have much stronger control over my food & drink intake. I can honestly say 'no thx I don't want it'.

i waited til i was a year post op and had a glass of wine.....i can't believe the effect it had on me. after a few sips i felt tipsy. my vision was blury and after the whole glass i really did feel drunk lol. Cheap date eh x

My team said the reason they recommend a year is not because of causing damage but because of the empty calories and they want you to get the maximum weight loss in that time. They also said some people choose not to wait and that is a personal choice. I haven't decided when I will try my first drink yet but I probably won't wait a full year. I'm planning when I do drink it will only be special occasions like my birthday/weddings/new years eve and probably just a small glass of wine as I don't want to consume a lot of empty calories but do also want to enjoy life and very occasionally I would enjoy a small drink. It's all personal preference and if you are able to stick to just one and not be tempted to snack too once you inhibitions have been lowered, if I felt this was affected then I'd knock it on the head all together. I will definitely do a test run whenever I do decide to have one, it will be at home with someone there, in case my tolerance is really lowered. I don't want to make a drunk fool of myself out in public on one drink lol.

Thanks girls. My nurse said it would be ok but to think about the empty calories and the effect it might have - like of course you have all advised see what would I do without you ;). That's a good Idea to do a test run at home Shelley.
I thought maybe about getting a glass of wine but tipping half away and topping up with water? That way I'd have the mild taste and not so many calories lol x

Whenever I drink I put a pound or two on after 24 hours then don't lose for a week at least (stall) It's not really worth it when you look at it like that, although it's not stopped me! I'm gonna lay off it for a few months now and get back on track. Last Friday I drank coz I didn't want everyone at the pub thinking I'm preggers!!

omg dinky when you put it like that!! Im so gonna keep that with me think that will get me to postpone that first drink x

Back