• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The flu vaccine after weightloss ...Advice needed.

emma-louise

my new life!!
Just a quick question...
This time of year when the shot is being offered,does your doctor recommend you have one?
I'm over 4 years post bypass and I've asked if I should have one from my local gp,but they say I'm not on the "at risk" list.
I'm a bit confused with this...I do suffer with definency and have my B12 every 3 months.
Just wondered if anyone else has been told bypassers or sleeves need one?

I wanted to know this also.

I'm not sure why you would think that you need a flu jab unless you have osome sort of condition that qualifies you. The flu jab is mainly for older people over 65 and those groups more at risk of developing complications if they do catch flu, such as people with weakened immune systems, those with underlying conditions such as neurological disorders, liver, lung or renal disease, heart problems or diabetes, and pregnant women. I also understand that some primary school children are beginning to be included in the vaccination programme through their schools

Primary school children are being included, I know some schools have already been offered it - but not our school yet.
My daughter qualifies as she has asthma.
Tescos are offering it for £7 I think. Most of the pharmacies do it.

When I collected my prescriptions for B12 and DCal on Saturday my pharmacist asked if I was having a flu jab. Said I should ask at my surgery and if not to come back and get it done there for only a couple of pounds.

In his opinion, so early post-op (only 3 weeks) that it would be beneficial and he would recommend it.

I'm not sure why you would think that you need a flu jab unless you have osome sort of condition that qualifies you. The flu jab is mainly for older people over 65 and those groups more at risk of developing complications if they do catch flu, such as people with weakened immune systems, those with underlying conditions such as neurological disorders, liver, lung or renal disease, heart problems or diabetes, and pregnant women. I also understand that some primary school children are beginning to be included in the vaccination programme through their schools

Feel a little told off here..lol
In all honestly I'd rather not have anymore injections than needed....as I'm not medically trained I wondered due to being deficient would this make my immune system a little less able to cope with germs.
And I've also read over in USA where the bypass is done more,
I'm sure I'd read they suggest having a flu jab being done.
The doctors and hospitals over here give you all different advice and guidelines when it comes to our bypass ..it was just a question I wondered about.

Well ladies I have the flu jab and have had since my op, mainly because I used to have asthma at the change of the seasons which was escalated by allergies, which in turn would quickly result in a chest infection. I have had this under control now for around 5/6 years. Last year when I went for it the nurse asked if I was paying for it I said I hadn't before, and have already had it this year same time as my B12 one in one arm and one in the other arm, I laways feel brave after that lol. I think we should all have it really, there are a lot of people on here who do not eat enough or eat meals which are not fully nutritious, n yes I am guilty too, however fruit n veg are an essential part of your diet and I had them from the start in puree stage, and always had previously due to living on and off weight watchers diets for years. I have had a little regain but I still eat what I need to sometimes a bit of naughty too but mostly healthy, I do also take my vitamins and recently had my bloods done and all is well so I will keep doing what I am doing and if they keep offering me the flu jab I will keep on taking it. xx

I have the flu jab. I've had it for years, since I have asthma (albeit very mild) I did not think twice about getting the jab again this year.

Bypass or no bypass, I've had proper flu before and I thought I was going to DIE. I seriously thought my number was up. Ever since then I have had a jab and I will continue to have the jab to avoid feeling so very poorly.

I have never complained about a heavy cold since having a proper does of the flu and if you don't get the jab free on the NHS and can afford the £10 or so for the jab, I would heartily recommend it. My husband who does not all into any qualifying category gets one too.

Well ladies I have the flu jab and have had since my op, mainly because I used to have asthma at the change of the seasons which was escalated by allergies, which in turn would quickly result in a chest infection. I have had this under control now for around 5/6 years. Last year when I went for it the nurse asked if I was paying for it I said I hadn't before, and have already had it this year same time as my B12 one in one arm and one in the other arm, I laways feel brave after that lol. I think we should all have it really, there are a lot of people on here who do not eat enough or eat meals which are not fully nutritious, n yes I am guilty too, however fruit n veg are an essential part of your diet and I had them from the start in puree stage, and always had previously due to living on and off weight watchers diets for years. I have had a little regain but I still eat what I need to sometimes a bit of naughty too but mostly healthy, I do also take my vitamins and recently had my bloods done and all is well so I will keep doing what I am doing and if they keep offering me the flu jab I will keep on taking it. xx

I struggle eating vegetables and fruit..I can manage salad type but root veg it's always get stuck..and apples are lethal!
I think I'm going to pay for one x

I've been thinking about this, too. I'm 8 weeks post op, and I am eating nowhere near enough to have a robust defense (or recovery) from a nasty virus.

Feel a little told off here..lol
In all honestly I'd rather not have anymore injections than needed....as I'm not medically trained I wondered due to being deficient would this make my immune system a little less able to cope with germs.
And I've also read over in USA where the bypass is done more,
I'm sure I'd read they suggest having a flu jab being done.
The doctors and hospitals over here give you all different advice and guidelines when it comes to our bypass ..it was just a question I wondered about.

Remember in America, they medicate for everything under the sun. We come to expect to walk out of every doctor visit with a prescription for something (well, I use we lightly, I've not lived there in over a decade!). Also, it generates revenue there, pharma and health care is a huge money maker.

Hi Emma I still don't eat apples and have had plums last couple of days and they made have tummy ache and diahorrhea. Be steering clear of them. My main veg n fruit each week are bananas, pears, strawberries when they are a reasonable price, melon, pineapple when they in season, satsumas/tangerines when in season, veg wise I eat mushrooms and onions and peppers frequently, and also eat turnip, cabbage, carrots, and odd sprout but that's not very often. I enjoy [orridge and Weetabix for breakfast which helps with the roughage I love toast wholemeal but once having a couple of days with bread problems occur, tummy pains etc. So just have tohe odd day where I eat that. I enjoy salad infrequently, which is virtually nill in this cold time of the year. I tend to make lasagne or omelette with all the mushrooms onions and peppers in and tomatoes. Today I have had banana on toast. lunch will be a sandwhich and then a meal at tea time. Snacks in between. With a cuppa which is my downfall. I like pom bear snax xx

Different strokes for different folks but I was recommended by bariatric nurse to get flu and pnemococcal jabs. I'm prone to chest infections so that may be the reason. But I'm definitely following that advice and would do it at tesco or the pharmacy but the GP ( finally found a good un) said yes too. The last thing I want when I'm recovering is to be coughing all the time! My hubby always gets them, he's 55 with long term conditions. My mum also gets them. She's very mildly asthmatic but as a teacher is always exposed to kids and their germs.

My view is to be cautious but that's only one view. Do what feels right for you.

if you cant get it then consider paying at the pharmacy

ive been having them for years as my daughters carer as an added layer of protection for her, glad i dont have to get flu again

Back