• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The more i read the more confused i get

hopelesscase

The more posts i read the more confused :confused:i get especially the ones relating to diets and food consistancy.
What are the guidelines regarding how soon to introduce pureed food, soft food etc. Im sure i read somewhere that someone was eating weetabix for breakfast on day 2 in hospital.
Also i know the diet is meant to be more high protien but reading that people are having custard and ice cream am i right in thinking if you did that after a bypass would it not create you to dump.:cry: Very few people have made any reference to fruit and vegetables as part of their new eating regime. Am i missing something.
What i really find hard to get my head around is that surley having had surgery be it bypass or banding is this not meant to be the start of a new future and a time to really address why we are taking or have taken this drastic route to become a healthier happier person.
One of my biggest problems is that although i eat healthy i eat too much but the thought of eating custard and ice cream as a meal is really concerning me. I do have a sweet tooth but it is for chocolate and fruit gums but i can take then or leave them.
Hope im making some sense i know what i mean but dont think i have put it over very well
HC

The more posts i read the more confused :confused:i get especially the ones relating to diets and food consistancy.
What are the guidelines regarding how soon to introduce pureed food, soft food etc. Im sure i read somewhere that someone was eating weetabix for breakfast on day 2 in hospital.
Also i know the diet is meant to be more high protien but reading that people are having custard and ice cream am i right in thinking if you did that after a bypass would it not create you to dump.:cry: Very few people have made any reference to fruit and vegetables as part of their new eating regime. Am i missing something.
What i really find hard to get my head around is that surley having had surgery be it bypass or banding is this not meant to be the start of a new future and a time to really address why we are taking or have taken this drastic route to become a healthier happier person.
One of my biggest problems is that although i eat healthy i eat too much but the thought of eating custard and ice cream as a meal is really concerning me. I do have a sweet tooth but it is for chocolate and fruit gums but i can take then or leave them.
Hope im making some sense i know what i mean but dont think i have put it over very well
HC

Hi welcome to the site! The first few weeks after the op you have to stick to a liqued or pureed diet, now I cant speak for every one on here but for myself having soup for the whole two weeks gets a little boring and it was nice to break it up by having LOW FAT custard! I didnt have any ice cream as i was worried about dumping as it turned out its something I dont get, but a little skinny cow icecream makes a nice change. I think the main thing to keep in mind is even if you have some custard or icecream you can't devour the same amount that you did before, a few teaspoons and you will be full! As for fruit and veg I have plenty but again not in the amounts that I had before the op , hence the taking of some serious vitamins and minerals everday. I hope this helps in some way.

Hiya

Right what i list now is the main guide to what and when to eat . But some hospitals are a little more flexable but will base it roughly the same.

days 1-2 Clear fluids (this is any fluids with no color ect ie water)

days 3 - end of the week 2 Liquids Only ( this can be anything liquid with no lumps which includes things like yogurt or complan or soups )

week 3 to week 8 ( some make it week 6)
Puree - soft diet ( this includes anything that is puree or mashed potatos . porrage weetabix ready brek . cottage cheese minced chicken . flaky fish or chopped spaghetti of tom sauce ) im sure you get the idea anything soft

week 8 healthy diet test food and chew well. some food you wont be able to eat . these food leave alone for a while aqnd try again a few weeks later.

i hope this helpalittle

Mark

Hi HC, as a bander things are slighlty different so don't get confused with the posts as to who is eating what. Banders don't get Dumping Syndrome so can eat things that maybe some of the Bypassers can't. Post op i lived on Slimfast for 2 weeks and then was allowed to introduce Custard and Yoghurt and Icecream as a safe way of getting some energy. Now 4 weeks again Post op i'm eating Pureed food but i have introduced Mince and some meats but its all about chewing chewing chewing and making sure things don't get stuck etc. I know this must all be so confusing for you but the first 6 weeks post op of a band are not about healthy eating or dieting as such. Its about introducing soft foods first and then once your more healed to introduce slightly more textured foods. i take vitamins daily due to the small amount of food i consume .Once i have passed 6 weeks i'll have to start making healthy choices and be more apparant with that. So don't worry i think your confusion is perfectly logical but you have to remember Bypass and Band are 2 totally different operations. and the way they work are totally different too. Keep that in mind when reading posts mate and it will all come clear. xxxxx

Back