• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The secret of your success?

sheffieldamanda

I've read through tonnes of posts this last week & it is evident that the surgery in itself is not enough to guarantee big weight losses. Some people have lost amazing amounts, way over & above the '70% of excess weight' stated by doctors. So as a WLS beginner, I'd love to hear your tips & lifestyle changes for achieving really life changing amounts of weight.....and of course for keeping it off! :)

I think the number 1 tip is do what your provider says, no food & drink together, eat for a maximum of 20 minutes, protein first then veg then carbs last - chew each mouthful well Good luck with it all :)

Learn to listen to your body. Are you hungry? Are you actually hungry? Really? Have a drink and then see. Keep handy protein rich pre-portioned snacks available (cheese triangle, boiled egg, slice of cold meat, small handful nuts etc) for when you definitely are.

It's difficult to begin with but soon becomes normal and seeing the results is amazing :) xXx

Interesting question and one I've wondered about as, when I nose around diaries especially, it seems to me that there are those who undergo lifestyle changes after the surgery and there are those who seem to continue eating pretty much as they did before, albeit in much smaller portions thanks to the surgery.

It seems to me that it's dangerous to rely on the surgery to do 100% of the work for you, even if you've gone for one that has a mal-absorption element. The bottom line is that bad food habits is what's got everyone to the position of needing surgery, so I'd think a psychological change about diet and exercise is needed on top for it to be the most successful long term after the initial honeymoon period is over.

I want to use this time to break bad habits! I noticed in some food diaries that some people are still eating crisps, chocolate, biscuits....I know it's early days for me ( 3 weeks post op) but I don't want to get back into the habit of unhealthy snacking - I was a crisp addict! Now I have cheese triangles, quorn slice or maybe a yoghurt.

It's all of the above if I'm honest and get your head straight then it's get to work!

Interesting question and one I've wondered about as, when I nose around diaries especially, it seems to me that there are those who undergo lifestyle changes after the surgery and there are those who seem to continue eating pretty much as they did before, albeit in much smaller portions thanks to the surgery. It seems to me that it's dangerous to rely on the surgery to do 100% of the work for you, even if you've gone for one that has a mal-absorption element. The bottom line is that bad food habits is what's got everyone to the position of needing surgery, so I'd think a psychological change about diet and exercise is needed on top for it to be the most successful long term after the initial honeymoon period is over.

The first 2 years the surgery practically does all the work for you...in all honesty.
There will become a time when you stop loosing weight...then your body will find its "bounce back" weight.
You'll find you'll probely gain some weight...but this is your weight your body is happy with.
Then it's time to maintain.....and the hard work really starts!
Being 5 yrs post op...Ive maintained at size 12/14 now...my lowest was 10/12

Back