• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The secret to your success?

shell-

I'm looking at either a sleeve or a bypass, but I think this is a question everyone could answer regardless of the procedure you've had.

I've seen so many people who have had surgery, particularly bypass, gain a tremendous amount of weight back after a couple of years.

If you've lost and maintained, what do you attribute to keeping the weight off?

I don't want to go through all of this, lose the weight and begin to feel like a normal person, only to gain it all back. I'm hoping to learn from the success stories, and follow your advice.

Sticking to the rules :D and not being too quick to enter the eating stages in the first few weeks of bypass GOODLUCK x

I'm looking at either a sleeve or a bypass, but I think this is a question everyone could answer regardless of the procedure you've had.

I've seen so many people who have had surgery, particularly bypass, gain a tremendous amount of weight back after a couple of years.

If you've lost and maintained, what do you attribute to keeping the weight off?

I don't want to go through all of this, lose the weight and begin to feel like a normal person, only to gain it all back. I'm hoping to learn from the success stories, and follow your advice.

All WLS is doomed to fail if you do not play by the rules, don't get the head in gear, and are not prepared to make lifetime, lifestyle changes that all WL surgeries require you to make ... An easy option it is not!
I'm not a long bypassed but I don't intend to break any of the above rules ;)

Well keep your portion control going I still have my meals on a tea plate, need to keep up with water keep the fluid going in which most days I take as tea n coffee. I am now 2 years post op and I have regained half a stone whilst my body is plateauing out. I have allowed some sweet cravings to filter in but in no where near the proportion they used to be consumed. Stick to my 4-5 portions of fruit n veg each day, keep carbs low. Plenty protein. YOu HAVE TO LIVE XXX

I've had a bypass and I think one most important rule is not drinking with meals and keeping portions the right size.
You do not want to stretch the pouch.
My portions are toddler plate size still,my restriction is great.
Keeping carbs to a minimum(which i have to as they get stuck!)and focus on protein more.
We are on a "diet" forever regardless of any weightloss op you have.
Anyone who thinks otherwise are naive,let thinks slip and the weight will creep up again.
I allow myself treats,as Chrisa says " you have to live" and I have the odd wine.
I'm not physical able to eat anything like I used to,or if I go over my treat limit I will dump!
Your body will get some "bounce back" weight and then you will have to maintain.
This is when the hard work starts...I'm over 3 years now.
My biggest was 24/26 I'm now 12/14,my weightloss stopped at 15 months out.

I think whatever WLS you have, you have to count daily calories, and Carbs..plus respect the procedure you have done..Im only 4 weeks post Op, band, and I am losing weigh quite well I want to do it steady but I am very good with rules and hope to live by them for life..I hope I can comment in a few years time and tell you its still all good :)

I'm only six months post sleeve but it's clear to me that high prots, low carbs, calorie counting and high fluids are lifetime rules.

P.S.: I'm still on a 600 cals diet and plan to remain on it as long as I can.

I'm only six months post sleeve but it's clear to me that high prots, low carbs, calorie counting and high fluids are lifetime rules. P.S.: I'm still on a 600 cals diet and plan to remain on it as long as I can.
Hi Bally
Well done - I'm 2 weeks post op - what do you eat in a typical day?

It doesn't matter what procedure you have, all have the ability to fail due to our bad eating habits be it band, sleeve or bypass. I know at least 3 people who had the sleeve who have gained all their weight plus extra within 3 years. I don't know how they can physically do it but they somehow have. Whatever you decide to have, if you don't stick to the rules you will have issues. Good luck with your decision :)

I agree with the above although not that it has to be cal counting. Find an eating plan that works for you and stick to it

Thanks everyone for your insight! I'd love to hear from others as well, the more opinions and experiences, the better.

I've wondered the same!

I agree with the above although not that it has to be cal counting. Find an eating plan that works for you and stick to it

Yes, that's my mindset. Find the right way to eat, and stick to it. I like the idea of using side plates for your main meal, even after you're long past the beginning stages.

Eat to live rather than live to eat. Watch portions sizes, for bypass never go bigger than a side plate at a time. Try to stick to set meal and snack times - don't graze. Follow all the rules or remind yourself of them if you get slack - i.e not eating with a drink, protein first etc. Remember food isn't the enemy, if you have a treat it's ok, you are allowed as long as you don't make a habit of it. I do calorie count but it's not needed if you have your own plan for losing or maintenance. Oh and don't guess portion sizes. Like what 30 grams of cheese is or you could be over or under estimating how much you are eating. This has worked for me so far. Hope it will continue too.

Last edited:
Hi Bally
Well done - I'm 2 weeks post op - what do you eat in a typical day?

Today's meals were:
B - 2 mugs of black coffee + 1 prot bar (I was in a big hurry, no time for porridge or fruit salad)
S - 1 prot bar (or it could be other prots like 18g. parmesan cheese or 60g. deli style turkey breast)
L - 80g. deli style turkey breast + 50g. sesame bread (or it could be 80g. roasted chicken breast or 80g. ham. sometimes I have 30g. pasta with tomato sauce or veggies)
S - didn't have time (normally a piece of fruit)
D - 75g. roasted chicken breast + 110g. roasted turnips
- 2000ml water.
Today was a strange day with meeting away from office so I ate the prots I found and missed 1 piece of fruit and lunch's veggies. My pieces of fruit are around 100g. and veggies are more or less the same weight.

I think I might have some more difficulty - well, just an obstacle to overcome, really! - as I'm a vegetarian. But there's always eggs for protein if I get stuck.

Take a tip from the Japanese who are never fat, use a small bowl and eat with chopsticks.

I have my own set of them - always use them for any stir fry, etc. that I make. Might make it a habit for other kinds of food, too - good idea!

Hi shell- I'm coming up to one year post sleeve and from the start of my journey I have been really nervous as I have a cousin and neighbour both on my street- one bypass and one sleeve. They have gained a lot of weight and are obese. I made it my mission to find out how not to be like that and pleased to say I'm doing really well. I'm at my goal and maintaining. I'm just really aware of everything that passes my lips- I stick to my good healthy meals and when I feel the need I will have a mini Choc bar or some crisps but will always decant into a plastic cup or bowl so that I am never left with a bag of anything. I find this works well for me- also I don't buy it so that if its not in the house the temptation goes. Wishing you the best of luck- it's the head that needs training but so many of us have managed it and you can too

Hi Shell, I think the key to success is getting the balance right with food, eat protein first, then veg, then carbs. 3 small meals and 2 snacks a day. Plenty of fluid. The odd treat is fine after the initial stages, providing it doesn't make you dump (I don't). Exercise too. And realising it's for life - I don't see it as a diet, more an opportunity to choose wisely as I can fit so much less food in. So I try to make my food choices as nutritious as possible and don't let treats replace meals. Good luck on your journey xx

I think I might have some more difficulty - well, just an obstacle to overcome, really! - as I'm a vegetarian. But there's always eggs for protein if I get stuck.

Hi, I'm a veggie too and 4 1/2 years post op.

Don't forget quorn, tofu, chick peas, lentils etc ;)

The key to my success has been eating less (a lot less, lol) and moving more. Combined with slowing right down on eating, chewing much more and being more aware of what goes in!

Good luck x

Back