• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Results of the sleeve, reality and hopes.

Yeul

Soon, I will have my first info meeting and screening, but I still have so many questions, ones that only other patients could answer.
I'm still trying to decide what kind of OP I would go for, if the surgeon gives me a choice that is ;)
The Gastric Sleeve OP has my preference but what should I expect for it?
What are realistic expectations?
Did the sleeve give you the result you hoped for or did it not meet your expectations at all?
I'm interested in both positive and negative stories, not just focussing on the weight loss itself but everything else like relationships and personal life changes.
What impact did it have on you and your loved ones?

As a short person of 155cm (5'1) and 97 kilo's (15.2st) my expectations are that I'll be able to lose most of my excess weight and preferably go down to somewhere between 50kg (7.8st) and 55kg (8.6st).
But I will take any weight loss, as long as I have a healthy bmi I will be happy but of course reaching a specific target would make me much happier.
Somewhere in the back of my mind I can't help but think I overestimate how much I can lose with an OP!
Other expectations are that I'll feel more confident, happy and content once I've lost the weight because I'll like what I see in the mirror and will be able to wear the clothing I want to wear.
That I'll feel less self-concious about my size, less ashamed and will be able to engage in more social activities without worrying about people judging me for what I look like.
But is that just wishful thinking on my part?
Some say the operation has left them with serious psychological problems yet other say they are much happier after the weight loss.
No story is the same, and everyone has a different journey but still it's very interesting to hear what you all have been through and what you think.
Sorry for my long ramblings!
English isn't my first language so I hope it all makes sense :p

Hi...everyones loss is different so its hard to give advice. I had my op on the 26th August last year, im 5"4 and started at just under 13st, im now 8st 6lbs which I have lost in now almost 6 months. I am still losing a pound a week.
My stats show ive lost 150% of my excess weight and a third of my total body weight.

There is no guarantee how much weight you will lose, I think I have been very lucky.

As for making you happy...I think you have have any form of depression or MH then weight loss will not cure this. I never had any issues before and I dont have any now.

My family have all been great throughout.

Good luck with your choices

Have you looked at the stats for weight loss after a sleeve? It's generally between about 50-70% of EWL post sleeve. My surgeon did say to me I'm unlikely to get to a normal BMI category because of that. As it happens I think he's right but I'm not complaining at a BMI of 26 and ELW of 93%. I doubt I will lose anymore now.

Perhaps worth looking at short term goals rather than focusing on one particular end place. Really would you be disappointed to be at a BMI 26 rather than 25? What about clothes sizing, have you got that in mind? I'm a 12-14 and over the moon with it.

Really interesting questions and I have similar. However, I know that losing the weight won't be quite enough, I'll know I need psychological support how it feels emotionally to cope with everyday life without overeating. Also I'm aware I'll have to do some body work too. Although I am a confident person I have terribly low self esteem and that's linked to more than just my weight. I'll be speaking to the psychologist about this on Monday.

Looking forward to hearing what those post op have to say.

I'm only 4ft11 and lost 12 stone- bmi now 23. I have serious body image Dysmorphia and am very controlling about what I eat. The weight loss affects everyone differently; I'm very happy I had it done, but wish I'd had better psych support throughout

Back