• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

the start of my journey !!

amanda577

Hi everyone! I have been to see my consultant in bournemouth Mr byrom, and have been put on the waiting list for a gastric bypass, and should have the operation in the next 3 - 4 months. So many doubts and questions in my mind, really need the input of people on here to get everything in perspective, and make sure this really is the right way for me to go... Half of me is so excited at being given this chance to lose the weight, and the other half is really scared and uncertain of the future after bypass.. Just reading all the posts here has made me realise I am not alone, and that I am not the only one that struggles with weight loss.... Hope that someone out there feels or felt the way that I do before surgery, or am I just worrying far too much!!!!

thanks

thanks for the welcome!! this forum I think will be a godsend, so nice to know there are people out there that are or have been going through what I'm going through.....

Hi and welcome! Don't think you are worrying too much, this is such a life-changing op so worth reading all you can about it and asking every question that comes into your head! See if you can look at any posts on pros and cons to see how it's been for others. Personally it was a brilliant decision, I feel so much better and I also have had an easy time of the op with very few side effects. On the downside I don't lose as quickly as some which is irritating but I have to keep telling myself that it is not a race lol.

One tip I picked up here is this - the operation is on your stomach not your head, so all the reasons that you might eat (emotions, stress etc) may still be there..........and sometimes the thought of not being able to eat a huge meal can be frustrating! It is well worth finding a book or two on the psychology of WLS before you go ahead,, for tips on how to face life afterwards. Oh, and remember - it's not a miracle cure, just a tool that you need to learn to use properly otherwise it too can fail you.

Having said all that I am soooooooo glad I went ahead. Good luck to you:)

Thanks for the welcome and the sound advice! I really am so glad I found this forum, the people seem so friendly and knowledgeable I am sure it will make a big difference to me being able to share this journey rather than going it totally alone..

Hi there & welcome to the site & the Bournemouth gang there's an increasing number of us from there. I had my bypass last July, bobsbigboy had his in June, there's flower of Shona who had hers done Tuesday & pandora due to have hers in 2weeks time to name but 4 of us.
I wasn't as big as some when I started my journey only a little over 19st & with weight watchers I managed over a year to lose just under 3st pre-op with another 1st on the pre-op diet so I was a Sylph like 15st 5lbs on op day since then with the exception of the odd 1lb regain I am now 11st 13lbs less than 2.5st from the mid-point of my ideal weight range. That would give me a stone either side incase I stop losing before I hit that mid-point or a stone more I can safely loose if I can't maintain properly initially.
Like you I was filled with mixed emotions of do I don't I take this chance to lose weight forever or risk continuing health problems possibly an early death if I didn't. I did my tease arch on here & other sites, I thought it through & through & decided in the end the bypass rather than band was right for me & despite the usual risk involved in any surgery I owed it to myself & family to take that chance to be slimmer healthier & pain free to allow me to do more for myself & with them for longer.
I joined ww in an effort to prove I could stick to a regime & to prove to myself I could succeed at weight loss alone despite old habits meaning I usually failed. I hit my 10% loss goal & proved to myself I could do it so when people inevitably said I'd taken the easy way out I could say I hadn't with a clear conscience knowing I'd done it the hard way no matter what their opinion about it is.
Think long & hard learn all you can make your choice for yourself & your future. It's a bumpy ride & not always easy but so worth the travelling I am now in size 10-12 clothes instead of 18-20-22's I used to be in a year ago & as I said over 7st down from the start of my journey. I hardly take my pain meds for the osteoarthritis & fibromyalgia my other health problems are easier & I feel so much more confident & happier let alone proud of myself as are my hubby & kids. The only fly in the ointment is the excess skin but may be once I've reached my goal I will fit the criteria fir plastic surgery or find the money to pay for it myself or accept it & live with it. Either way I'm happy & enjoying this new life.
Good luck with your research & ultimate goal. Message anything if you want to ask anything to help you make your choice.

Thankyou for the welcome, and the sound advice... Its nice to meet other people such as yourself who have also had the op at bournemouth. Was it Mr Byrom and Mr Davies that did your op also? Your weight loss is pretty impressive!!!
This site has already proved invaluable in gaining knowledge and insight into what gastric bypass is really like, and learning how to live with all the life changes pre and post op. I know in my heart that this is the way forward for me, and that I am lucky to have this chance of surgery when so many people seem to have such problems gaining funding. But I suppose the doubt and fears are a pretty normal reaction when considering anything this radical.
I don't have any particular health problems, in fact the hospital says considering my size I am surprisingly healthy, but I know its only a matter of time unless I stop this continual weight gain. I have managed to get my weight down to just over 19 stones now, and am going to try to lose as much as I can before the op.
One thing I would like to ask you though is about the loose skin problem!! Surely at 19 stones start weight you didn't suffer too much loose skin? Sorry rather a personal question, but it's something I worry about also and want to try and minimise it if at all possible.

I have my share of flabby bits, bingo wings, wobbly thighs and of course the tummy. Not to bad looking down on it but bend over & it's not a pretty sight. My aim is to try to tone what I can through swimming & some home exercise equipment but the age old bad habit of slough is still something to battle with.
If I have high waist trousers I can do them up easily if they are low rise the muffin top hangs over & isn't pretty. I still buy wide leg trousers for comfort but can now wear them & they're loose wide cf boots are now replaced by standard calf widths which is great.
Please don't be afraid to ask personal questions we have all been there & done that its the only way we can resolve our worries & fears so ask away.

welcome to the forum and I am glad you are also asking questions. It makes me feel better. I have less than 5 weeks til my op and really nervous.

Good luck on your journey

Emma xx

Hi Amanda,
Mr Byrom is very nice and he and Mr Davies do the ops together and the theatre staff are great!!
Cheryl is next to have her op and she is having a bypass so will have much more information for you in a few weeks.
The lose skin is something to deal with later when we are healthy again :)

Glad I'm not the only one who feels nervous!! I think after reading so many posts, that most people are pretty apprehensive about the actual op, but I'm sure you will be fine.

As for the loose skin issue, I suppose it is just something I will have to live with, and just hope that it isn't too awful. Silly thing is when I was slim 6 years ago I had a tummy tuck and a face lift privately, and then totally screwed them up by gaining all this weight again. I can see myself ending up looking like one of those little wrinkly japanese dogs!!! Oh well small price to pay to be rid of this excess weight... But am determined to start excercising a little now to try and tone up a little before my op comes around...

i shook the day before my op hun, i swapped to a sleeve from a bypass as i decided it was the best choice for me.
Do plenty of research and go to meetings to get first hand experiences.

Hi there,

I echo the others. Welcome to the Bournemouth gang.

I too live In bournemouth and had my bypass on 30 November.

I am already almost 6 stone down since Pre op consultations and have around 11 stones still to go. So loose skin will probably be an issue for me further down the line too.

Right now I am just enjoying feeling healthier. It is no problem going up and down stairs any longer and I am regularly going on long walks pier to pier AND back. :). Before my op I had real mobility problems so this is an absolute change. I feel so happy that I have made this change. I too was petrified before my operation and even the night after I wondered what I had done as there was no going back.

However apart from a few times when I ate too fast or drank at the same time as eating all is going perfectly.

The only regret is that I waited so long. The past few years have been tough to say the least and I found it impossible to work and was housebound a lot of the time. This has totally changed since November 30. I have even applied to Southampton University to start in September.

I feel that I have a new life ahead of me. It's FAB!

Good luck in what ever u choose to do

Lisa

Hello there , as the others have said , welcome to the site & also to our little Bournemouth group :)
I am 2 weeks away from op , so any way I can help , just say .
We have a monthly meeting at Holes Bay premier inn , 1st Monday of each month , 7pm , if you are interested in meeting us wacky lot lol xx

This really is wonderful finding so many people who have had the surgery at bournemouth! I live alone and don't really have any support network as such, so was feeling really isolated and confused about all of this. But this site and you guys have really changed that already, just by knowing you are out there and that I am far from the only one going through all this. I work for tescos in Shaftesbury but only do a couple of shifts as I am in my third year of my English degree via the Open University, so really don't get out much, or meet many people, suppose I'm a little bit of a recluse really, but most of that is down to the fact that I feel so self conscious about being so big it's easier to just stay home, so for me this forum is an absolute blessing.
Thankyou so much all of you for such a nice welcome and all the positive comments and advice. xxx

Oh! forgot to ask! Does anyone know if Holes bayis fairly easy to get to from the shaftesbury area, as I don't know bournemouth at all but would really like to get to the support meetings.. Would be great to meet you guys but I am a little agoraphobic so have big problems going new places but would really like to try to get to the meetings if possible..

It should be easy enough hunni , ok just outside Poole town centre . Try looking on Google maps , it would be good to meet you xx

Just had a look on google maps and its a straight drive no turnoffs or anything down to poole, so am going to try and get to the April meeting, its a bit too late to try for the March one now. Would be really nice to meet you all.....

I've yet to get to any due to transport problems other half & youngest go climbing on a Monday so can only go in school holidays so hope to get there in April myself do you want to car pool I can pick you up if you like as I have to come up from Gillingham.

Hi penelope!! that would be great if we could share the transport!! also would be nice to go with someone for some moral support as I am so nervous... I live in tisbury which isn't too far away from gillingham so maybe we could arrange something.. I really would like to get to a support meeting as feeling pretty isolated right now...

Back