• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The time between band op and first fill

Baileyamber

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice (and reassurance)

Had a band 3 weeks ago and since the first week post op have found my appetite gradually coming back. I know that my provider said this will happen but I can literally eat loads more than I could a week ago, and can eat almost anything (not been near bread rice or tough meat/chicken though as I know they can cause damage) still counting calories to keep me in check as I do not want to put weight on and I reckon I'm eating about 1400-1500 a day now .

Is it true things change after fills and will be appetite decrease again ? How have people found their band after a fill with regards to portion size and what they can physically eat?

Also a little concerned I may have eaten a few 'wrong' foods but haven't felt or been sick so think I'm doing ok

Thanks in advance xx

Is it true things change after fills and will be appetite decrease again ?

It is common between the op and the first fill that the hunger will increase to the time that you're due to get the fill. Swelling from surgery will go down and while there is some restriction from the band being there, there isn't a massive amount from the band itself. This is where the fills kick into play.

It can take a while to get to a place of restriction, I had my surgery in Aug, first fill at 5 weeks, another one 2 weeks later, one in Dec and then Feb. It wasn't until the february one that I felt any restriction. To that point I could have eaten anything and everything and in considerable amounts, and this is where the willpower and self control kicks into play. I have found that I have been able to do this by having a strict calorie maximum (although slightly more than what my provider suggests as my experience has shown that I have better losses at 1100 to 1200 cals and not the 1000 they suggest.)

When you have a fill, it will increase the restriction, may limit what foods you can eat (there are things that may change, for instance I can no longer eat omelettes yet before my 4th fill I could eat everything) so a lot of it is trial and error with what foods you can or cannot eat. It will also help with regards to the feelings of hunger, when you get to a point of weight loss easing off, or if you find yourself looking for food a shorter time after eating, then these are signs that you're potentially due for a fill.

How have people found their band after a fill with regards to portion size and what they can physically eat?
I do not have levels of restriction like some people who get full on 1/2 a chicken breast, and my main meal in the evening is a small portion, but not micro small, I still eat a couple 100g of veg, 150g of protein, but that is because of where my restriction is. During the day, I cannot eat anything solid at all, and as such until after 3pm its yoghurts etc (altho this is currently starting to get earlier which is a sign for me the restriction is decreasing!) the thing is eating only until you don't feel hungry, not eating until you feel full, over full or "stuffed".

Also a little concerned I may have eaten a few 'wrong' foods but haven't felt or been sick so think I'm doing ok
what do you consider "wrong foods"? There will only be "wrong" foods if your provider has told you not to eat something . . .as it is, my provider doesn't "ban" any food and its a way of finding a healthy balance so that you can have what people perceive to be good or bad. To do this I work within my calorie goal, minium amount of protein, max amount of carbs. I have days where I go over that, I have days where I could quite easily sink 1700+ cals of the "wrong" foods, but its about a healthy balance. What is not good tho is if your provider advises you not to eat certain things and you do . . .that is when in their eyes you're putting your band and you at risk . . .but then, as an adult, thats the "risk" you take in the choices you make :)

each provider gives dif advice i was told not to eat bread rice or pasta if thats wat you mean by wrong food?
with each fill you will be able to eat smaller portions but different people like different restriction i prefered very very tight but most dont go to that degree you will find what works best for you. what kat has written is pretty spot on tho, just takes time with a band to get it working to the "sweetspot"

Thank you for your replies ladies, as always you are spot on. By wrong foods I meant sausage meat and a beef burger (no bread) at first thinking these were classed as minced meat but now realise they're not oops!

X

if you chewed them well I'm sure they were "minced" by the time they went down, but do go easy. You'd be alright with mince, although I've found if restriction is tighter quorn mince goes down better than beef or lamb, plus lower fat and good protein source too :)

Back