• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The very poor gastric band portrayal on BBC Holby City

top_kat

Did anyone else see this story that started last week and continued in more depth last night with the girl who had a gastric band fitted on the NHS?

I know it was more of the story regarding the Doctor but the whole band thing was shown so badly, that she had 10mls inserted into her band, she then went on to stuff herself on chocolate and had to have the band removed as it had slipped!

The TV's stereotypical portrayal of bariatric surgery patients, but in this case one that wasn't even a reflection on how the band works in terms of fills etc.

Another Weightloss group I'm on there were some really angry people am just wondering if anyone here saw it? I guess it did show that the band doesn't deal with emotional issues, she'd not stuck to her pre-op, but also I know that many people have to go through hoops for a LONG time to get surgery on the NHS.

And yes, I know its only a TV programme, but

, storylines such as this, don't help peoples perceptions or judgements of people who do have bariatric surgery!

I did not see it but I am glad the other end of the spectrum has been shown. Somehow you get this public perception it's an easy option, you are cheating, you took the easy route out, it's effortless weight loss, well it is not and if it makes anyone think twice I applauded them.
Personally I think it is waste of time and money. I wish I had never entertained the idea and stuck with my gut instinct not to have it but with so many in the media singing its praises I thought I was just being over cautious and if it worked for them then why would it not work for me?
I paid £5,000 am left with 5 kiloid scars because of the poor stitching given and am now heavier than I was preop in 2012. I was not expecting miracles but I at least expected it to do what I was told it would ie make you fuller faster, keep you fuller longer and make you less hungers, well it is a no, no and no on all three of those. I hate it and if I had the £5,000 to have it removed I would.
So I have to say I am glad at this portrayal if all it does is make people tink twice before such drastic measures it has my support.

I should add I know it works for many people and I am happy for them, kudos to you all who have found a solution for your weight loss. But, but... There are some of us out there who feel mislead, lied to and 100% unsatisfied. All I am saying is every coin has two sides and the other side should be shown, there should be a balanced portrayal in the media even on a drama. One size does not fit all, pardon the pun :)

I should add I know it works for many people and I am happy for them, kudos to you all who have found a solution for your weight loss. But, but... There are some of us out there who feel mislead, lied to and 100% unsatisfied. All I am saying is every coin has two sides and the other side should be shown, there should be a balanced portrayal in the media even on a drama. One size does not fit all, pardon the pun :)

Hi Bella
May I ask what happened with your band, did you have surgery in UK.
Clare

Yes it was with the hospital group. As I said above I did not find it did what was promised. Filled it gave me nothing but physical pain and discomfort. I could not even eat a boiled egg without feeling like I was having a heart attack and all the while even though being able to eat very little stopped loosing weight. I am left with horrific scars because I was given international stitches, which you could see huge gaps between stitches and in general just feel it is huge.y over rated and not a aid to my weight loss at all.
I honestly do not know what it's function is because it does nothing for me s claimed.

Oh Bella - so sorry.
I went with THG and I HATE them. For so many reasons!

But, I love the band. Really sad to hear you regret it... x

I saw it, Top Kat and thought it was awful. I have a sleeve, not a band, but even I knew that what they were doing would never actually happen. It did no favours for the majority of real bariatric patients who stick to their pre and post op diet. And, last week when the dr lied about her pre op weight and went ahead with the surgery despite the patient admitting she hadn't stuck to the pre op diet was just ridiculous!:mad:

Even sticking to post and preop diets does not equal success or compatibility. I did everything I was asked to, everything I was supposed to and it still did Not help me in any capacity. Now I have a useless band and port in my body forever, not to mention the keloid scars and for what? A big fat nothing.....

Even sticking to post and preop diets does not equal success or compatibility. I did everything I was asked to, everything I was supposed to and it still did Not help me in any capacity. Now I have a useless band and port in my body forever, not to mention the keloid scars and for what? A big fat nothing.....

Obv questions. I guess but what has your GP suggested?? If anything...I'm not sure abt mine...when I told him I had issues maintaining weightloss not actually losing, he just said lose it again & save yourself £7k??? Funnily enough, when I asked him if he'd say that to a drug dependent person, asking for support he went v.quiet.

It's no wonder you're angry with system.

Obv I accept that you may well fall into minority, however I think your trust should be supporting you xx

I saw it and wanted to shout at the TV. Yes it got the point across that the band isn't a quick fix, but they portrayal of the girl was unfair. The bit where she supposedly got food stuck (Hello - chocolate really doesn't get stuck!!), made me feel ill cos I could totally feel the horrible pain you get when something gets stuck - yuck!

I did not see it but I am glad the other end of the spectrum has been shown. Somehow you get this public perception it's an easy option, you are cheating, you took the easy route out, it's effortless weight loss, well it is not and if it makes anyone think twice I applauded them.
Personally I think it is waste of time and money. I wish I had never entertained the idea and stuck with my gut instinct not to have it but with so many in the media singing its praises I thought I was just being over cautious and if it worked for them then why would it not work for me?
I paid £5,000 am left with 5 kiloid scars because of the poor stitching given and am now heavier than I was preop in 2012. I was not expecting miracles but I at least expected it to do what I was told it would ie make you fuller faster, keep you fuller longer and make you less hungers, well it is a no, no and no on all three of those. I hate it and if I had the £5,000 to have it removed I would.
So I have to say I am glad at this portrayal if all it does is make people tink twice before such drastic measures it has my support.

That wasn't how it was portrayed at all, it was not showing a bad side of the band, only the person being "bad" stereotyped overweight person.

I saw it, Top Kat and thought it was awful. I have a sleeve, not a band, but even I knew that what they were doing would never actually happen. It did no favours for the majority of real bariatric patients who stick to their pre and post op diet. And, last week when the dr lied about her pre op weight and went ahead with the surgery despite the patient admitting she hadn't stuck to the pre op diet was just ridiculous!:mad:

Exactly this! Exactly!!!

I saw it and wanted to shout at the TV. Yes it got the point across that the band isn't a quick fix, but they portrayal of the girl was unfair. The bit where she supposedly got food stuck (Hello - chocolate really doesn't get stuck!!), made me feel ill cos I could totally feel the horrible pain you get when something gets stuck - yuck!

If someone stuffed food into there mouth with 10mls in a band then it is highly likely simply due to the volume it would get stuck, but the portrayal of her was wrong. But to remove 10mls from the band sing how it would be, it wouldn't have had that much in and all the stuff with her not sticking to her diet just suggested to people that haven't been through it everyone is like this. I was reading some comments on the HC fb page and typical comments about how the "fat bird couldn't stop stuffing her face and how people shouldn't get any surgery on the NHS etc etc etc

I saw it and although I'm a 'bypasser' I was shouting at the screen - both last week and this week.

There is NO WAY on earth that the op would have taken place after a 'quick' pre-op with a non-bariatric surgeon.

Just the whole thing was portrayed wrong.

Bella'sBand, I totally agree that there needs to be a balance to what the public hears but I don't think that Holby's approach was correct. There was no proper research or presentation to it at all. It was almost like the script was written by a Daily Mail journalist. Yes, the public should know the negatives - but the 'real' negatives.

I saw it, and had a similar reaction to many of you.

Really tired of the stereotypical portrayal of fat people on the TV as well. We're not all incredibly out of control like that - and it just reinforces the stereotype :-/

Watched them both last night on catch up. No wonder so many people feel it necessary to hide the fact that they have had wls. When its portrayed like this on TV. Sad very sad and as if any if that could or would ever happen. In real like that doctor would have been struck off!!

I have several friends who have had bands now, some have done really well, totally motivated and did what was expected of them, all had good weight loss, it was not easy and they realised it was not a quick fix. Had another one who has said it has ruined her life and would love to have it removed, but this person did not follow the dieticians advice and ate and ate and ate, hence the band slipped!

Its early days for me, and I am following a diet plan to help with the weight loss, I went away at the weekend and put on 4lbs on, this is my own fault for eating and drinking too much. But I can honestly say it has changed my life already and can only praise the THG.

Cheeky I know but can I ask why u hate THG? I'm just interested I went there too x

We both used MR SUPER, I was originally booked in for a different consultant but after researching the internet, I changed my mind due to the large amount of bad press he had received. So glad I now close Mr Super:) x

Back