• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

THG band to MGB in Belgium

Hi,

Feeling much better after the weekend. Kept myself low key and just refocused on what’s what.
Kim, started your diary earlier, I’m at your post op now, great reading about your experiences what you packed, ate, the app etc
Have confirmed date of 16th April with Frederik, I’ll fly 15th coming home 20th
Not sure if they will want me to do lsd as I can’t lose much weight as they will only operate if bmi is 30 upwards. I’m at that now so will see what instructions or advice I get from them this week
Rebecca x

I'm glad you're feeling much more positive. I know it's easier said than done but please don't let your friends words affect your decision. It is so easy for somebody who hasn't experienced ongoing weight battles to pass judgement. They don't truly understand the difficulties faced and just assume it's down to greed/laziness/lack of motivation which we all know isn't the case.
Is your BMI dependant on what you weigh when you arrive at clinic? I went through the NHS so obviously don't know what the expectations of private are if they differ, but I'd be surprised if they didn't want you to do the LRD as it makes surgery safer and easier. That said, it's about reducing your liver and not losing weight, so any weight loss would be unfair to go against you. Maybe you could self weigh at Boots or something before you start your LRD and take that with you to clinic so that they can see any weight loss is just down to the LRD? xx

I’m not sure really I’ll have to ask the question to Frederik, he just mentioned that they’re unable to complete my revision surgery if my bmi is not at 30 or above. I’ll cross that bridge in April I would imagine

Thank you for your advice and words on friends opinions. It doesn’t bother me so much now, to be honest I just need to start thinking of myself and partner only. We are so happy in our lives there is literally just a black cloud over my weight and my faulty band!! I sent Frederik the xrays ive he had on nhs, he says it looks like my bands eroded and caused my stomach to capsule!! How scary does that sound?!? He has to warn me that depending on what they find during surgery they may not be able to covert due to scar tissue, trying not to think about it too much, and just trust that dr Chris’ experience will get me through

X

I’m not sure really I’ll have to ask the question to Frederik, he just mentioned that they’re unable to complete my revision surgery if my bmi is not at 30 or above. I’ll cross that bridge in April I would imagine

Thank you for your advice and words on friends opinions. It doesn’t bother me so much now, to be honest I just need to start thinking of myself and partner only. We are so happy in our lives there is literally just a black cloud over my weight and my faulty band!! I sent Frederik the xrays ive he had on nhs, he says it looks like my bands eroded and caused my stomach to capsule!! How scary does that sound?!? He has to warn me that depending on what they find during surgery they may not be able to covert due to scar tissue, trying not to think about it too much, and just trust that dr Chris’ experience will get me through

X
Good luck and hope it all goes well xx

I am sorry that your friend wasn’t helpful. Don’t think some people fully understand our addiction. It not as simple as going to the gym. You have made you plan try not to let people influence you otherwise because they don’t have all the information you do.
Deep breath, reassess and move forward...you got this!!!!
Just re reading my thread before continuing with Kim's diary, and realised I totally forgot to thank you Emma for your kind reassuring words! Thank you x

I really hope all go well for you xx

So, I’ve made my appt at Barclays for this Saturday. As soon as that’s done I will transfer my deposit and book my flights. Oh and renew my passport!!
Kind of feel a weight lifted as I’m perhaps getting more organised. I confirmed everything with Frederik on Sunday and advised I would transfer the deposit this week, he hasn’t responded to this email - dates already confirmed with him and dr Chris as the 16th April flying 15th home 20th so maybe I’m just overthinking. I will email again this weekend once deposit has been paid. I’ve just been onto money supermarket to find out best transfer websites from England to Belgium, doesn’t seem like it’s going to be too difficult.
Kim, how are you getting on? I read in your diary that your go in England have you a sick note for 3 weeks? I’m only off for 8 days? I was off for 4 days after my band, Still on lots of pain killers etc. Worried I’ll need more time off? BSS have advised only 1 week off work required x

So, I’ve made my appt at Barclays for this Saturday. As soon as that’s done I will transfer my deposit and book my flights. Oh and renew my passport!!
Kind of feel a weight lifted as I’m perhaps getting more organised. I confirmed everything with Frederik on Sunday and advised I would transfer the deposit this week, he hasn’t responded to this email - dates already confirmed with him and dr Chris as the 16th April flying 15th home 20th so maybe I’m just overthinking. I will email again this weekend once deposit has been paid. I’ve just been onto money supermarket to find out best transfer websites from England to Belgium, doesn’t seem like it’s going to be too difficult.
Kim, how are you getting on? I read in your diary that your go in England have you a sick note for 3 weeks? I’m only off for 8 days? I was off for 4 days after my band, Still on lots of pain killers etc. Worried I’ll need more time off? BSS have advised only 1 week off work required x

Fred and Bart travel to the UK to do consultations so that might be why you didn't get a response. Maybe he also didn't think you were asking a question and just letting him know something and that's why no response. I'm getting on okay, in better health than I was before the operation. I don't think I took the entire 3 weeks off but I know I needed more than one week off. I can't remember fully the exact amount of days I took off but as I was super tired and I returned to work on shortened days. The sleeve and bypass are bigger operations than the band. You're getting organs moved around so it take longer to recover. Its up to how you feel though.x

I got a response last night quite late I’m so I assume they are out and about.
Booked my flights this morning and forwarded the booking confirmation to Fred, I’m hoping this is enough to confirm op for 16th April. Will transfer deposit Saturday.
I had booked annual leave with work a few weeks ago but managed to grab HR to advise I’ll be having an operation. I told them when I first started that I had no hospital appts but was awaiting dates for a revision surgery. I didn’t want to risk being well enough after my 8 days annual leave and the give them a sick note for them to think what’s going on here? I’ve not been there that long but enjoying it and doing a good job so don’t think it will be an issue. They gave me my holidays back and told me not to worry. Will put it down to sickness for an operation. They were very understanding which has put my mind very much at ease. I didn’t want to look like I was taking the mick with sickness etc.
Any moral of the post is I’m feeling more organised and that it’s all coming together. Ready just to look forward to it
Hope you’re all ok
X

Booked my flights this morning and forwarded the booking confirmation to Fred, I’m hoping this is enough to confirm op for 16th April. Will transfer deposit Saturday.
I had booked annual leave with work a few weeks ago but managed to grab HR to advise I’ll be having an operation. I told them when I first started that I had no hospital appts but was awaiting dates for a revision surgery. I didn’t want to risk being well enough after my 8 days annual leave and the give them a sick note for them to think what’s going on here? I’ve not been there that long but enjoying it and doing a good job so don’t think it will be an issue. They gave me my holidays back and told me not to worry. Will put it down to sickness for an operation. They were very understanding which has put my mind very much at ease. I didn’t want to look like I was taking the mick with sickness etc.
Any moral of the post is I’m feeling more organised and that it’s all coming together. Ready just to look forward to it
Hope you’re all ok
X

All sounds good hun congratulations be here before you know it :) xx

Hope you’re all ok
X
Great that they were so understanding and yay it’s all booked...exciting xx

Hope you’re all ok
X

Sounds all good. The GP sick note I got just had abdominal surgery on it so you don't need to go into the details of the surgery if you don't want to. Its great that they are giving you your annual leave days back though.x

Hi lady’s.

Just got my confirmation email from Frederik. Feeling much better.
I’ve asked about the liver shrinking diet as I’m worries I won’t weigh enough on day of surgery. Also asked about payment.
Kim, did you pay deposit at time of booking or full balance? I’d prefer to pay full balance as I don’t want my loan sitting in my bank until April? What’s your thoughts?
Rebecca x

Hi lady’s.

Just got my confirmation email from Frederik. Feeling much better.
I’ve asked about the liver shrinking diet as I’m worries I won’t weigh enough on day of surgery. Also asked about payment.
Kim, did you pay deposit at time of booking or full balance? I’d prefer to pay full balance as I don’t want my loan sitting in my bank until April? What’s your thoughts?
Rebecca x

I paid deposit first then full balance when it was requested. The only factor you'd have to worry about is the exchange rate for the euro when you pay the balance. Do what you're comfy with though. I'm sure they won't say no to having the full amount right away.x

Kim you’re a great help to me, thank you so much.
What exchange rate should I be looking for?
X

The Euro/Pound exchange rate. This is one of the criteria you should check out when picking a company to send your cash and why I used two different companies when I sent my deposit and rest of the payment. In the economic situation we are in now the exchange rate is very volatile and might be even more so after March 29th. Just something to consider with timing your payments.x

Thanks Kim, what rate is a good rate? I’m so confused with the whole thing?
Due to Brecht being before my surgery I was thinking it might pay to get the whole balance paid now x

check xe dot com for the market rate and the company that gives you the closest rate to that will be the best rate. The companies I mentioned above gave the best rates last year when I did it.x

check xe dot com for the market rate and the company that gives you the closest rate to that will be the best rate. The companies I mentioned above gave the best rates last year when I did it.x

Ok so, this is stressing me out. This is what I’ve found but still don’t really know if it’s correct. I know I need to pay them €7570. The rate today is 0.866. Please try and help me. I think xe are the best ones?

Attachments

• 3AB757AA-7216-4237-AA56-A16A3955F9C5.jpeg
    3AB757AA-7216-4237-AA56-A16A3955F9C5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
Back