• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Think I've over done it

Karen19745

I feel dreadful today, Monday night I went for a 3 mile walk with the dogs and I felt great, I had my tea when I came in from work about 6, then went out and didn't get back until,half eleven.

Then last night, I had my tea again about 6, then went shopping in Go Outdoors with my son to get him so walking boots for a school trip and he wanted to look around everything in the whole shop. Then we went to the Asda nearby which is not the one I normally go in, so I had to walk down every isle to find what I was looking for as I was not familiar with the store. I had a big trolley and I waited until it was painful to turn the corner with it before I got my son to push the trolley. After that I went to see my cousin she was supposed to be in hospital but they had let her out and we ended up staying until after 11 so I never got in again until about half eleven.

Also I think because I look really well and I have felt really good everyone around me forgets that I have had major surgery (myself included) and I have been doing everything again, working 9-5, cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, feeding the dogs and I think it has all caught up with me because I have a constant discomfort in my stomach, I feel so exhausted and lathargic and I just want to go home and go to bed, but I am at work on my lunch break.

Sorry for rambling, has anyone felt like this, do you think I am doing too much or were you doing the same things as me 3 and a half weeks post op?

Hope your okay hun and take it easy xx

Rest this evening pls don't push ur body to far, it's telling u and reminding u what u have had done. I call it crash time my body just gives in xxx good luck xxx

I can't believe that you are back at work and doing all that as well.
I think you need to slow down and quit doing anything strenuous before you end up back in hospital
I was only walking my son to and from school at 4 weeks out and that was enough.
Can't you go back on sick leave for at least another week

I'm a week out today and am still at home but keeping mobile.
I'm not due to go back to work til the 27th, and to be honest, I don't think I'd be ready for it before then.
Please take it a bit easier. This is major surgery you've been through.
xXx

Karen19745 said:
I feel dreadful today, Monday night I went for a 3 mile walk with the dogs and I felt great, I had my tea when I came in from work about 6, then went out and didn't get back until,half eleven.

Then last night, I had my tea again about 6, then went shopping in Go Outdoors with my son to get him so walking boots for a school trip and he wanted to look around everything in the whole shop. Then we went to the Asda nearby which is not the one I normally go in, so I had to walk down every isle to find what I was looking for as I was not familiar with the store. I had a big trolley and I waited until it was painful to turn the corner with it before I got my son to push the trolley. After that I went to see my cousin she was supposed to be in hospital but they had let her out and we ended up staying until after 11 so I never got in again until about half eleven.

Also I think because I look really well and I have felt really good everyone around me forgets that I have had major surgery (myself included) and I have been doing everything again, working 9-5, cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, feeding the dogs and I think it has all caught up with me because I have a constant discomfort in my stomach, I feel so exhausted and lathargic and I just want to go home and go to bed, but I am at work on my lunch break.

Sorry for rambling, has anyone felt like this, do you think I am doing too much or were you doing the same things as me 3 and a half weeks post op?

Hey hun. I went back to one of my jobs (nannying for 4th old twins and an 8th old) a wk after surgery and helping care for my mum and lil sis and walkin my dog. I was ok, just tired. Going back to my other job (home health care assistant) on Monday (3wks out) and will be back to workin a 45hr wk plus lookin after mum and sis too.

If you feel ready for it then only you know your body. I am a little tired but really bored already with not working full time. only thing im dreading is the early mornings!!! Been spoilt last few wks and gettin up at 10.30/11am! When I'm back at work it 5.45am wake up calls again :-(

As others have said, jus remember that you've had major surgery and listen to your body.

Hops u feelin better xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

You definately shouldn't be pushing a heavy shopping trolley round Asda. Just think of the twisting and turning that your innards are doing.
Dont lift heavy washing baskets.
Dont bend down to pick anything up that is heavy off the floor.
Yes you are doing too much.
Take it a bit easier and get people to help you with all your household chores. Let the children feed the animals. I dont know your family circumstances but you MUST take better care of yourself before you hurt yourself internally.
Lynne x

Thanks everyone, I'm in my pj's on the sofa with a blanket relaxing. I think it was my body telling me to slow down, if I don't feel better in the morning I won't be going to work, Karen xxx

Karen, don't forget that not only have you had major surgery, but your body is operating on much reduced calories and proteins which will have an impact on how you feel as well as your healing. Take it easy and if need be ask for a sick note for a few more weeks.

Thanks everyone, I'm in my pj's on the sofa with a blanket relaxing. I think it was my body telling me to slow down, if I don't feel better in the morning I won't be going to work, Karen xxx

Good !
Lynne x

Karen dont go back to work,I dont know how you are coping.Im older than you but you still need to let your insides heal,just cos you cant see it,it has still been cut and sewn in there!Twisting and carrying weights will do you harm.Listen to the advise you have been given please.What would happen if you collapse in work or supermarket and end up in hospital?Who is going to see to kids,house and dogs then?Someone needs to help you in the house,get shopping online etc,Im speaking with my 'mum' head on now!.Maz x

Slow down karen! All that lifting and pushing and twisting could cause a hernia remember.
I'm definitely being more active now than I was. I walk the dog three times per day and am able to go further than I could last week. However, I also make sure I sit down on the park bench for most of the time we're out. Yesterday I was throwing the ball for Baxter and felt some pain in my left side so I knew I'd stretched my muscles. I also carried home more shopping than I intended to. Today I'm going to go online and order my supermarket shopping to be delivered instead.
Like you said, when you look fine on the outside you tend to forget that you're still healing inside. All my incision wounds are healed up now and I feel great. I have to keep reminding myself to sit down and take a break. I can't wait to start exercising too but don't want to push it.

I know us women have to be there for everyone and we feel uilty if we don't and as there is no obvious signs that we have just had pretty major surgery so everyone forgets and lets us get back to normal as soon as we are home but as others have said doing too much to soon could end up with us back in hospital again for far more drastic surgery to put it all right again. So slow down if you don't think about and take care of you no one will. Take care, listen to your body before it breaks down!

You must SLOW DOWN!

I was feeling great after 4 weeks (I had open surgery) and decided to go on a camping weekend. It was a big mistake. I did far TOO much, putting up tents, fetching and carrying water, sleeping on an air-bed, walking and trying to keep up with everyone else resulted in me pulling or twisting something inside. I felt awful for almost a week after, with pain down my left side.

Fortunately with rest and taking it gentle for the week after I felt fine again. So even if, like me, you feel fine, remember that you have had major surgery and your body needs time to recover.

HuGz
Jay

Me? I think your off your asda shopping trolley.

Seriously now, where on earth during all of your research did you hear anyone say i'm back to normal 4 weeks post op and doing everything and more and feel great?

Give yourself a reality check. Yes i know it's not easy when your mom, provider, supporting others but this is where you sit down and prioritise? As someone else said, how the heck will everyone else cope if you are laid up in a hospital bed?

If i were you and didn't think you could go sick from work then i'd be having a chat with my employer about a phased work return. Even if you have to use up some precious holiday time or get paid for your reduced hours. Then you have to decide who/what your other priorities are and start delegating.

Shopping can be done online and the delivery driver can bring it indoors for you if you explain you cant do heavy lifting post surgery...

Housework? Well i'm sorry but kids are not babies, they are all capable of filling a washing machine and running round with a vacuum.

Stop being flipping superwoman and take care of yourself first now!

'rant over' busines as usual xxx <<<hugs>>>

ps, forget to say get to bed earlier too xx

Me? I think your off your asda shopping trolley.

Seriously now, where on earth during all of your research did you hear anyone say i'm back to normal 4 weeks post op and doing everything and more and feel great?

Give yourself a reality check. Yes i know it's not easy when your mom, provider, supporting others but this is where you sit down and prioritise? As someone else said, how the heck will everyone else cope if you are laid up in a hospital bed?

If i were you and didn't think you could go sick from work then i'd be having a chat with my employer about a phased work return. Even if you have to use up some precious holiday time or get paid for your reduced hours. Then you have to decide who/what your other priorities are and start delegating.

Shopping can be done online and the delivery driver can bring it indoors for you if you explain you cant do heavy lifting post surgery...

Housework? Well i'm sorry but kids are not babies, they are all capable of filling a washing machine and running round with a vacuum.

Stop being flipping superwoman and take care of yourself first now!

'rant over' busines as usual xxx <<<hugs>>>

ps, forget to say get to bed earlier too xx

I have been waiting for Julie to come and tell you off she does such a good job of it :D
and I agree with every word she says

lamornamiss said:
I have been waiting for Julie to come and tell you off she does such a good job of it :D
and I agree with every word she says

One of the reasons I've been taking it easy and not pushing it is because I wanted to avoid a telling off from Julie!! :p
She does it so well - and is of course 100% right.
xXx

Ladies i thank you :) :)

Let this be a warning to all of you :) My period is due lol xx

Julie, job well done. I wish I could come to the point in the way that you do.

Karen, hope you've taken it all on board? How are you today and did you go into work yesterday?

love and hugs

Rebirthx

Back