• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long off work?

great question! Im still job hunting at the moment after redundancy but hope im not still unemployed by the time I get my op

I was off work for 2 weeks post bypass. the hospital said to see how i felt and go back when i was ready. i probably could have done with another coupld of weeks as i found the eating stuff and nausea difficult to manage for the first few weeks. hope this helps x

I'm worried about this bit too. I'm self-employed cooking and serving food, don't know how I'll be with the nauseau stuff......don't think the customers will be too happy if I start frothing at the mouth when they're ordering their food!!! :8855:

it all depends on the job you do, all surgeons have diff amounts of time b4 u can drive again, if its a office/sitting down job then the average is 2-3 weeks, if its a manual job as in lifting heavy stuff ect then its alot longer as your insides need to heal properly.

Hi - I was told that I couldn't drive for 2 weeks and I kept to that. I was really lucky - didn't suffer from the feeling sick bit. I had my op on the Thursday, out of hospital on the Sunday and went back to work the following Monday [I did have a lift into work]. I am self-employed and wanted to return as soon as poss. I managed ok with the liquid diet and clear soups in the microwave. I must admit I knew about it when I got home though. During my second week back at work I was able to drive and travelled to the midlands and had the fun of staying in hotels and managing the hotel restaraunt with strained soup lasting three courses lol. Not much fun but soon got used to it. I suppose the main thing is you must feel up to it before you return.

Doe's the time needed off, differ between laproscopic and open surgery?

hi im going back to work in a week's time :wave_cry:.so that will have been around 2 month's since my op on the 10th of nov the reason ive been off so long is when i had my op the surgen had to make a few more hole's in me to get the op done so i came out with 10 hole's in me i think if i had the normal amount for this op around 3 or 4 i would have been able to go back after about 1 month. where i work have really been good about it all.there's alot of heavy lifting involved where i work so there letting me go back on half day's for a few week's see how i go. as somebody else has said everyone is different and there's no set time to go back when you feel good enough it's time to go back hope that help's abit

5 holes for me key hole and although i have in effect has 7 weeks off that is just because i was on a retainer after my last placement finished and also because of the lifting involved with children with limited mobility. But in reality i was back training and observing on the tue after i had my op on the thursday. I met up and had a day at the trafford centre with shel and pg a week after surgery I didnt drive for 10 days. I have had no tierdness and have had bags of energy.
It really does all depend on yr own personal recovery and the type of job you do.
good luck and hope you recover as well as i have
carole

I had laporoscopic, and went back after 2 1/2 weeks. I have a fairly sedentary job though. I did feel that I could have done with another week off, because it was draining going back, but that was my choice (I could have had up to 2 months off from work's perspective).

As for open v lap for time off, yes I think open is a longer recovery period as the wound takes longer to heal.

Hiya
I had my op on 27th Dec and was back in work on 8th jan. I felt fine to go back earlier but was told not to drive for 10 days. My job is mostly office based so i haven't had any problems at all so far and feel full of eneregy.

I am still off sick since my op on the 25th November - I am vomiting 5-6 times an hour particularly after food and was admitted to hospital overnight on the 31st Dec.

I am still trying to work out if this vomiting is due to this nasty bug going around, my diabetes or the RnY.

I think you need to take as long as you need off work and feel strong enough to return, everyone is different.

Rick.

Back