• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi, first appointment tomorrow

emmuk74

Hi, My name is Emma, I'm 35 and a mum to an almost 5 year old. I have tried everything going on the diet front since I was first put on a diet aged 3!!! I never considered WLS until my fantastic GP suggested it to me 3 months ago, she has seen me try, try and try again and said she wants to see me get the help I need. she was fab and said wls for me is just like doing a hip op for someone who needs it. she has made me feel positive and helped me think it all through.

but now I am less than 24 hours from my first appt at the "weight management clinic" and my confidence is gone and the nerves have arrived. the letter is full of negativity including "this clinic is about weight management, only some cases will be put forward for wls".

I am obviously obsessing and thought that it might be time to stop lurking and start posting, so here I am. please think of me tomorrow, I'm looking forward to doing the journey with you all.

Good luck for that, don't worry i'm sure looking on this site you have seen all the hoops people have had to jump through to get their wls. However not yet found anyone that would not do it all again...
Linda

Good luck with your appointment x Hope you stick around and enjoy spending time here with us as you go through the WLS process x

Hi Emma,

:welcome:to the WLS forum, you'll find everyone here is really friendly & full of great advice & support!!!

Fristly, I'd like to say that you are onto a winner if you have such a wonderful GP, they can be hard to come by if you are going down the WLS route:D!

Next, when you figure it out, it is helpful if you can edit your details to tell us where you are from & what surgery you are considering, as advice can vary considerably depending on these 2 things.

I can't really give you any advice on the weight management clinic :(, because I didn't have to attend one myself personally, although I am sure someone will be along in a bit to offer more help.

Totally ignore the bumph they put in the letter, standard c*ap...if you follow everything through, with the support of your GP & if you meet your PCT criteria, you'll get the surgery eventually! Some only have to wait a few months from beginning to end, others can wait a couple of years!

Finally, I think being able to admit one is fat & unable to maintain a sensible weight on one's own after trying for a long time, then asking for help, is really the first step! Try to see this clinic as a positive thing...you may well benefit from going, but you are now in the system! Good luck, & let us know how you get on xxx

Hi Emma, welcome!!
I am asking the same questions as yourself. My appointment is july 5th so your a couple of weeks ahead of me :) I've been stressing about this, so know how you feel :-( Sorry i couldn't be of any help to you. Could you please let me know how you get on? Just tell them EVERYTHING and you won't go wrong, good luck with your appointment xxx

Agreed that if you have a supportive GP then you are onto a winner. mine was and still is awsome. he recommended me for the surgery, and has been every so supportive since.

Anyway, Best of Luck flower. x

Your gp sounds great, she will have given them some of your dieting history one would suppose. If not be sure to tell them everything you've done, whether slimming clubs or pills tell them the whole gory story. If you jump through their hoops then all should go well...

Keep us posted on how it goes and don't be a stranger x

Back