• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New here

Nanny Og

Hi All,

I'm new to WLS not dieting. You name the diet I've tried it.

I've been referred for WLS by my neurologist/neurosurgeon as I have a brain condition called Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. Basically I have too much fluid surrounding my brain which increases the pressure in my head leaving me with excrutiating headaches 24/7.

To help with the symptoms I had a shunt inserted in 2009 to drain away the xs fluid but it keeps blocking.
I've been told losing weight will help so that's why the referral was given.

I'm now playing the waiting game to see if the bariatric surgeon will accept me. I saw him in June and he wasn't sure as I have the shunt but my neuro haswritten back saying yes do it so....

Has anyone on here had WLS whilst having a shunt?

pandora

finding my way again !
Welcome nanny
I don't have experience with shunts but just wanted to say hi , welcome & good luck

lyndajoan

wellcome

:welcome2:hi nanny og. i have not heard about anyone having surgery while having a shunt, but i am sure it will be ok if your surgon agrees to doing the opp.

you will proberble find some one who may have or knows some one that will help you with this question.

in the mean time have a nosey around and read peoples storys yyou will find insperation in them.

look forward to hearing how you get on. xx:D:character00238:

BEXS99

Loves this site x
Welcome hun, hope you get your surgery, wish u look xx

Caren

Love my sleeve!!
welcome nanny, and good luck with your journey :) xxx

Nanny Og

Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

mum21baba

Hi there, i can't believe it!! I have the exact same condition as y0u th0ugh i d0n't have a shunt. The headaches are h0rrend0us aren't they? D0 y0u get visual disturbances as well? I have never met any0ne with the sae c0nditi0n as me

FuturePerfect

Finally in love with life
Welcome Nanny Og, from 1 newbie to another. It's a worrying and stressful time all this waiting, but the post-oppers on here have all been through it and will help us along the way.

Nanny Og

Mum21baba - the headaches are unbearable currently living on morphine to take the edge off the pain. I do get blurry vision a lot but don't have papilloedema. I'm now booked in for fortnightly lumbar punctures to keep the pressure down. woohoo :sigh:
Kath - I love Terry Pratchett, his books are so funny

mum21baba

I do have papiloedema and have to have regular visual field tests. Its so nice to hear from somebody with the same condition. Whereabouts in scotland are you from?

TwinkleTwinkle

A Very Happy Bunny
Hi Nanny, I am really wishing your surgery comes swiftly for you & also for anyone else struggling with extreme health problems. It is bad enough waiting without any real problems so my heart goes out to you, honey ... fingers crossed you will get good news soon xxx :wave_cry:

mariew

Mum 21 and Nanny, I know someone else who has IH and doesn't want a shunt as it has it's own problems. She found out about a drug trial and begged her Dr to put her on it. Since she has been having the injections her condition has improved a lot. Pm me and I will put you in contact with her if you are interested. Incidentally, she had a bypass 4 weeks ago.

Nanny Og

Mum21 I'm near Stirling/Falkirk

Marie - My shunt keeps blocking I need to lose weight before they'll operate on it again. I know the drug you're talking about. I'd love to hear how she is getting on with the bypass.

Andy1968

:welcome2:

Hope everything turns out well for you

Andy x