• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tinks Journey - Pre Op assessment disaster

tink75

First let me start with a positive - 11 and 1/4 pounds lost on 1st week pre op diet - yipee. Now the bad - surgery due 1 week today so I went to my pre op. Saw the dietian and that was fantastic I was feeling really positive - then into the nurse. She took my blood pressure which was sky high and told me that I might not get the surgery next week. She said I must make an appointment to see the doctor to get medication to lower my blood pressure. She then tod me that my white cells are up and I may have an unfection somewhere in my body. I asked if this will affect the surgery and she said it might but not to worry cause if it has to be postponed they will ring me sometime this week.

I left and cried lots - but got straight on the job and got an appointment with my own GP. When she took my BP it wasn't too bad so she refused to give me any other medication. I rang the hospital who told me that I must get readings all week from the doctors and take them with me (even more tears) and they will decide on the day about the surgery. Now a day later I am really messed up in my head - I have worked so hard to mentally prepare myself for this surgery and now I feel as if I'm hanging in the air and have no solid plans. All I can do now is hope and wish:(:(:(

Sorry to hear you are so upset but it is good that they are taking the extra precautions.

Hopefully everything will settle down this week and that your surgery goes ahead as planned.
11 and 1/4 pounds lost on 1st week pre op diet - yipee.
:wow:
Well done on your weight loss:happy096:

Love Mini xxx

How frustrating for you! I'm sorry you're feeling down about all of this, what a pain in the neck. I bet you have geared yourself up mentally, emotionally and physically for next week and for it to be up in the air must be yuck. I hope everything works out for you, think calm thoughts all week, I'll be thinking of you.

I know its easier said than done but the more you worry the higher that blood pressure. As Margaret says try and get as much rest as possible and use as many relaxtion techniques as you can think of. I will keep my fingers crossed that you are successful in getting it down x

Oh noooo Tink what a pain....

Has your gp given you a monitor to take the bp readings? I know you can buy them yourself, my mum has one, not sure how much they are though.

I had my pre op assessment on Monday, they took my bloods but wont yet have the results. It will be a bleepin miracle if I havent got an infection, I always seem to have one lingering somewhere. I should imagine or hope they would check the results before I turn up on the day of the op, just in case i need antibiotics.

Really, the hospital should have written a letter for you to give your gp, I would call the hospital again and ask them to either email or fax you or your gp a letter explainign exactly what is needed and why. If you dont usually have high blood pressure then I can see why your gp is reluctant to prescribe the meds, fingers crossed it was like caroline says 'white coat syndrome'.

Well done on the pre op diet loss :) im on day 3

Xx

Thanks all - I am trying to stay as calm as possible and I have even booked the day before surgery off work so that I can relax and lower my BP. I have arranged to drop my boys off earlier on the day of surgery so that I can go for a relaxing walk. I really felt like I NEEDED chocolate yesterday (my emotional food) but I am very proud to say that I stuck to my diet whoop whoop - this was a huge step for me!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know by thinking positive things will work out and I'm hoping that they will ring me to get anti biotics if they find where the problem is - I did ask for them at my GP's but they said no (I did expect this but thought I'd try my luck). I'm just going to keep smiling and keep trying cause I always try and stay positive!!!!!! I do suffer from HBP anyway and have taken medication for the past 7 years so not really sure what is going on there. I think it was high cause I wanted the day to go problem free - this equals to anxiety and HBP. I do want to be healthy for surgery so I am now going to be Mr Miagi and practice any relaxation techniques possible lol - I am just about to go for a nice relaxing bath and to chill out.

Hi Tink, sorry this happened today but I do know how you feel. My bp was 234/117 at pre op assessment and I was told to get extra meds from my gp. they faxed them a letter telling them so my gp was prepared when I went in. I had to wait 3 weeks because the hospital wanted 3 readings at a good level and I could only have my bp done once a week.They also found I was diebetic at my assessment so I had to get that under control too. My only advice to you is to stay calm and when you go for your bp check just think positive thoughts about this being another step closer to your op.Good luck sweetheartx

Thanks all - I am trying to stay as calm as possible and I have even booked the day before surgery off work so that I can relax and lower my BP. I have arranged to drop my boys off earlier on the day of surgery so that I can go for a relaxing walk. I really felt like I NEEDED chocolate yesterday (my emotional food) but I am very proud to say that I stuck to my diet whoop whoop - this was a huge step for me!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know by thinking positive things will work out and I'm hoping that they will ring me to get anti biotics if they find where the problem is - I did ask for them at my GP's but they said no (I did expect this but thought I'd try my luck). I'm just going to keep smiling and keep trying cause I always try and stay positive!!!!!! I do suffer from HBP anyway and have taken medication for the past 7 years so not really sure what is going on there. I think it was high cause I wanted the day to go problem free - this equals to anxiety and HBP. I do want to be healthy for surgery so I am now going to be Mr Miagi and practice any relaxation techniques possible lol - I am just about to go for a nice relaxing bath and to chill out.

Wax on .....wax off....wax on....wax off.....

I had the same sort of problem re blood pressure and my GP gave me a monitor to do some readings at home at various times of the day to see if it was nerves ect
It worked and my BP was a lot lower at home, still not ideal but lower!
Best of luck, I know how frustrated you must feel especially when your op is so close.
Chin up. x

Hi Tink, At least you're heading in the right direction to ensure your BP is as low as possible when you're next seen. Although it's frustrating, it's good that the hospital is taking such good care to reduce the risk of anything going wrong.

If you're unable to get appointments at your GP for your BP to be checked quite a few chemists will check it for you free of charge. I know that Boots will. The night before your appointment put a few drops of lavender oil on your pillow to ensure you have sufficient sleep, as poor sleep can affect BP. My friend also swears by rescue remedy which you can get from Holland and Barratt or the chemist. This is more for calming purposes than a treatment for raised BP. At least it may reduce the risk of 'white coat syndrome' re your BP.

Hope all works out well for you and well done for staying off the chocolates.

Rebirth

Hi Tink.

At my pre-op assesment my BP was also very high but the nurses there just made me a cuppa, let me sit quiet for 1/2 hour and it went down again.

They said that most patients had white coat syndrome when going for their pre-op which is hardly surprising when you think just how much your living on your nerves prior to an operation of this size.

Try not to stress yourself out over it as it will only make matters worse and won't bring that BP down.

Good luck with it.
xx

Well done on ure pre op success. I feel your pain about the possible date change , but hopefuly everything will sort itself out. It is always better to be safe then sorry

Well no news from the hospital so far is a good sign about the surgery. I have been trying my best to relax although I went out with family on Thursday and just found myself really weepy - not sure why this was - no reason I could think of. I am very relaxed and staying that way - just making some me time (very unusual for me). Got lots to do before Monday for school - planning, assessment, reviews. It's as if everyone has saved what they need me to do until the last minute, however, I'm taking it all in my stride and pacing myself. Can't wait for Wednesday, although I am excited and nervous all at the same time. Is it normal to be so excited and yet nervous at the same time? How nervous was everyone else on the day of surgery?

I really hope it all goes ahead as planned for you on Wednesday!
Make sure you fit your "me time" in!
Update us soon please, I have been checking this thread since I last posted in it!:)
~Enjoy your weekend and try to relax as much as possible~

OH NO!!
I'm scared do death now....
I've got my pre-op on the 22nd Oct, and now am crapping it!!
When i went to the one-stop apt at the hospital end of Aug, they couldn't even take my blood pressure!
They tried on my arm, round my wrist and even on my ankle!!
I so so hope they dont have any problems this time and hope my BP aint high....

Let us know Tink, how u get on. xx

Back