• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

16 days to go; had pre-op assessment today

petshell

Well, after battling with the A12 this morning, road works and accidents and then going round the block 8 times to get a parking space at the Homerton (thank goodness I left three hours to get there -and it is only 50 something miles from home)I finally arrived with 5 minutes to spare.

I turned up at the surgical centre and had to fill another form in; health questionnaire.
I then had my height and weight done (I do wonder why they have to measure my height at every appointment!), Well I had shrunk since leaving home as I am always 5 foot 6 but they had me as 5 foot 4 1/2 inches. Shorter with biger BMI!! I had however, gained a 1lb since losing home but had lost 21lb since they last weighed me in January so that is good.
My blood pressure was incredible 120/60 -so athletic! (not). Pulse 86 not to bad for me. Mind you I am surprised I have any arm left cause the nurse pressed the button for the cuff to tighten and then walked off (ouch) it took ages to stop inflating.

I was then taken to a cubicle and had my first ever 10 lead ECG..... I was fine, although did not feel too comfortable with the nurse having to lift my large left breast up in order to attach the stickers and leads! Anyhow, it was all painless.
I was then given three swabs... one for me throat, one for my nose and one for my groin; I am so pleased that when she handed me the one for my groin she left me on my own in the cubicle, I forgot I had a groin, it has been hidden by fat and a overhang for years (not nice). All these swabs were to test for MRSA.
I was then left to sit and chill for ten minutes when I was called to see the nurse practitioner who asked my loads of questions -many of which I have answered before. All were to assess my fitness for the operation.
She was rather sharp and her bedside manner not very good. Before I left to go have my bloods taken she asked which pre-op diet I am doing and then said " make sure you lose some weight and stick to the diet because Mr Mannur will cancel the operation if you don't". OUCH! I have already lost 21lb in 2 1/2 months so I am obviously serious about this.

I have to be at the Homerton at 0700hrs on 16th April, the nurse suggested I was dropped off and my husband came back later! They would not be able to tell me which ward I would be on, cause it depends where there is a bed. mmmmm sounds scary.
I didn't tell her that there is no way my husband will drop me off and then go NO WAY NOT NEVER x especially as he will have driven 50+ miles to get me there x

She said I should be in for 2 or 3 days unless there are complications.
As I was leaving she gave me a leaflet about general anaesethics and their risks (lovely thought).
I had to then go and have my bloods taken, 11 people in front so had quite a wait. I informed the vampire (bloodtaker) that people usually have difficulties getting blood out of me, but she said I had good veins and would be fine. HAHAHAHAHHA OUCH X
The first vein in my left elbow refused to give blood, I have a lovely bruise too. The second vein in my left hand collapsed and the blood bubbled and stopped dripping out. I now have a heamatoma there (only a small one but it hurts). Finally she got loads of blood out of my right hand, and I can't even see where she took it from.
She did say she hopes she doesn't get to take my blood after the operation! LOVE HER

The whole assessment took 1 hour 15 minutes.

So 16 days and counting ................

Shelley

Good luck Shelly! Not long now :)

wow not long to go for you good luck xx

Congratulations on your weight loss Shelley, 21lbs is great :D

Congratulations on the weight loss. Sounds like that nurse got out the wrong side of the bed. Good luck with the pre-op and all the best for the op. Looking forward to reading all about it.

Sounds like you've been doing a fab job Shel as the weight loss proves....

Good luck with your op, i hope it all goes smoothly and look forward to hearing all about it xxx

Back