• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

To drink or not to drink?

carrieb

Happy Bypasser
Hi All,

I'm going out for a xmas do tomorrow, have my first "new" outfit for slimmer me. I may even post my before and now pics!

My question is, should I have a drink or not? If I do, it will be my first alcohol since bypass at end of July. I'm a bit worried that I'll get silly on a tiny glass of wine - and really don't want to embarrass myself by dumping (or anything else for that matter). Having said that, I've only ever dumped twice.

What do you think?

I say have a go it's nearly Christmas I was told no alcohol for 3 months just take it easy and enjoy

I'd be wary if I'd not tried alcohol before, if you dump or get very wasted it will spoil your night out, personally I'd prefer to stay sober but it really is a personal choice, have a super time whatever you decide :)

My surgeon told me that for the first time after the 6mth no touch alcohol rule when I was going to try and drink that i should do it in the privacy of my own home first as alcohol can affect you so differently post op ie get drunk much quicker. Not sure if this is correct as im not 6 months out yet :innocent0002: :D ;)

Try a glass at home first, to see how it affects you if your nervous. My provider advised no alcohol for a year post bypass, but every provider gives different advice :)

Wine is one of the riskier drinks as high in sugar.
Vodka gin or Bacardi are better and tomato juice is the least sugary mixer if sticking to no fizz rule.
Good luck x

If I was you I'd try a little drink at home to see how you react to it.
Vodka and orange/cranberry is what I choose now.

I don't think many people dump on alcohol unless you mix it with juice but it might go straight to your head so could ruin a good night out. It does with me. A couple of large glasses of wine and I'm passed out in bed. If you really want to have a glass tomorrow and I don't see why not if your provider says it's ok then maybe try a small glass tonight? I definitely wouldn't drink for the first time in public, you might absolutely fine but it would be shame if you are not x

Thanks for your replies - I think I'll stick to J20 tomorrow and save my first alcohol for Xmas day instead - more excited about my new outfit than drinking anyway

I had a good drink 10 weeks post bypass, I did stick to spirits with ice or juice mixers, took it slowly and made sure I didn't get carried away.
Probably had 10 units in total, great night and no problems.
I now go out once every couple of months (Am 16 months out and 10stones down) and drink whatever I fancy, even a small glass of prosseco when I've fancied it.
I went privately with a very reputable surgeon who was happy with me drinking 10 weeks out.
Trust your own body and mind xxx

Back