• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Waut to drink over xmas?

mad midwife

I'm 7 weeks post gastric bypass and was wondering what people will be drinking over Xmas, just doesn't seem right to toast with a coffee! Also if you go to a pub what can you drink, I'm not overly bothered about alcohol (much lol) but obviously can't even have a diet coke as no fizzy allowed, and really don't want to ask for a water or coffee in a pub! Suggestions would be appreciated thankyou

Most pubs now do nice coffee, so I tend to opt for that. I also go for tomato juice, as it's not too high in sugar or calories. A glass of iced water is also good for disguising a lack of alcohol - nobody would know what is in the glass!
I wouldn't worry about asking for either water or coffee - it's never caused even a raised eyebrow wherever I've been:)

I tend to have orange juice but get them to top the glass up with a bit of tap water.

I went to a pub yesterday (just over 4 weeks post op) I had an apple juice in a tall glass filled with ice I left it for a few minutes stirring it around with the straw then sipped that over the 2 hours we were there :)

I started to have the occasional alcholic drink after 6 months post op. But for non - alcoholic drinks, I have j20s, watered down fruit juice, water, and hot drinks.

Thanks ladies .........I'm a month post op. do you think I could have a wee glass of wine with my Christmas "dinner" or should I keep well away? X

Thanks ladies .........I'm a month post op. do you think I could have a wee glass of wine with my Christmas "dinner" or should I keep well away? X
i wouldn't recommend it at all at a month post op. Sorry.

Really not a good idea drinking so soon post op. You are still healing. Many teams don't recommend alcohol for a year, but my surgeon told me it an absolute no no for at least 3 months.

I stayed away from all alcohol for one year and now I find it's ok to have a vodka and orange once a month or less frequently.

I'd not risk it, but each to their own :)

I am under spire hull and the dietician and doctor both said alcohol was okay to have just 6 weeks post op so they are all different, lucky I have not yet had any ! I would imagine the worry could be that you could transfer a problem from eating to drinking in excess, others will have a better idea though.

Hi I left it 6 months. Was out last night and had vodka, lime and soda. Had a lot! I bash the bubbles out of the soda. But today I have ate more than I normally would it could, including a takeaway.
It's a one off for me as I rarely drink - once a month max. The biggest worry for me is eating the next day!
I have orange cordial and water when I am in bars and not drinking. Or coffee.
6 months was a good time to wait as its in the optimum weight loss period, and drinking could hinder this. X

Thanks for the advice everyone! I don't think I will bother :). I'm not a drinker really, I just wanted the green light more than anything.....I'm one of those people who likes to have the choice, even if I don't want it!! :)

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas!!! X

cranberry juice you can get in pubs could have that with lemonade n stir the fizz out or jus cranberry on its own further out you can have vodka n cranberry its lush really enjoy that. Tis good for the system for water works aids hot flushes too in the menopause. LOts of other properties too. xx
I think I never drank for about 6 months either. I did start back on the vodka n diet coke just stirred life outta it but used give me a bad tummy so switched to lemonade with vodka, then switched to Rose wine, but now have switched back gain cos of the calories only manage to get with friend now once a month so make the most of it when I can. You do get drunk easier once over could av drank anyone under the table not now I am a light weight. But its cheaper that way. Still enjoy a good dance xxxx

I've always wondered why we are not given the same guidelines ?

It doesn't make any sense at all..we have all had the same thing done to our bodies,so why don't we have all the same guidelines?

I always have cranberry juice if out in the evening or tea if I go out during the day. Occasionally j will now have gin and cranberry and that's ok now. I don't drink very much anyway but find that juice is a good choice as not too sweet and no one knows if alcoholic or not.

I would say if you want wine on Christmas Day may be just have a little bit watered down, but go careful

Back