• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Toilet

Wonderlust

Hope this is the correct place!

I am now 10 days post op and I am finding that my bowel movements are non existant...

The first morning back from the hospital I had a major event that cleared me out, the support team think that may have been the result of the drink used for the leak test x-rays.

Two days later I have a very small movement, but nothing since at all.

I am having blended tinned soups, fruit juice, meal replacement shakes, started on smoothies yesterday.

Is this normal or should I be worried?

Bellydancer57

This happened to me & team recommended glycerine suppositories from chemist £2.99
Worked in just over 15 mins & felt great afterwards.
My team are very keen on emptying your bowels on a regular basis so give them a try.
I am 6 weeks post op & go on a regular basis virtually daily now.
Good luck.

Wonderlust

Thanks,

Will contact my team on Tuesday if nothing starts moving before then, although I am due my 2 week check up on Friday.

Wonderlust

OOnion

Do you feel as though you need to go? If you don't then I would not worry about it - I am usually a regular twice a day girl...like you good clear out just before I left hospital and then nothing until about day 6 I think. I'm sure it's just the bowel is very slow after being messed about with.

If you don't feel constipated then don't worry about it. Make sure you are having at least 2.5 L water/juice a day and if at a week you feel bunged up then act. I would not take any form of laxative in the first week if you don't feel bunged up, let your bowel do it's own job don't make it lazy with laxatives!
Take care and try not to worry
xx

chrisa

I to had the same problem, occasionall i still have the problem my dietician suggested 2 fybogel one in a morning and 1 at night. I also drank fruit juice and had weetabix fruit and vegetables pureed up even had prunes pureed, but still couldn't go. Unless i took the 2 fybogel a day i couldnt go at all. I now have weaned my self off the fybogel and only take it when i am in a state of distress knowing constipation can be painful eventually when trying to go to toilet. It does take longer to fill your bowel up now you got think your bowel will bequite large and the small amount of food we consume now it will take some filling and moving down the body till it eventually comes out. Its not a nice subject but before the op I was the other way couldn't go any where without needing to go and empty bowels, even had tests to see if it was intolerance but found nothing. So from 1 extreme to another. Also after the op the feelings and sensations are different fromwhat it was like before I never knew i wanted a wee i used to get a bad stomach and then i would go. Just your body trying to right itself, mine has just gone off beam but it bloody well better get back on track cause i don't like it. Good luck and hope you get soretd out. xx

Wonderlust

Many thanks for the replies.

It has put my mind at rest for now.

I will bring it up with my team during my 2 week check-up on Friday.

Wonderlust

Ohhh I have just seen we share the same wonderful Surgeon! x

I didn't have a choice of surgeons, but I am glad that he is the Gentleman that did mine.

Paul-H

Hi

I am in the same boat, I am now about 7 weeks post op and only go every 7 days and then only because I use a ducolax suppository, it's my Sunday routeen.

I don't feel constipated or bloated just think it should come out, I know my food intake is a lot less than it was, but before surgery I used to have a very high fibre diet just to help and even then I was a once every 3 days guy. The only trouble is after its been there for 7 days it's a bit like passing a log, even with the help of the suppositories, But at least it does come out eventually, if you get my drift.

Paul

farzu

Try having prunes. Blended . It is really helping me right now. Also your hospital should have prescribed milk of magnesium. I am 16 days post op and going everyday.

Paul-H

I have tried milk of magnesia and it had no effect on me, I have tried all the oral options including Movicol and nothing helps. The only thing that helps is ducolax suppositories. Because I was like it pre op I suspect I just have a slow transit. I just wish I could eat the amount of fibre that I used to eat pre op.

Paul

HiddenBeauty

Lil Miss Kitty
My docs gave me laculose but only said take it if I need it. I had my first movement last night and mum and I are expecting every 3 days or so.

Wonderlust

I have one thing to say this morning....

Woohooo ;)

HiddenBeauty

Lil Miss Kitty
Lol yay.

Fuffs

Shrinking Big Brummie
Wonderlust said:
I have one thing to say this morning....

Woohooo ;)

Woohoo!!! Congrats on the new arrival!! Lol!!!!

Wonderlust

Been told that it sounded like i was giving birth...:eek: