• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

transport

daftmoo

how do people get to and from hospital for surgery?
My hospital is 100 miles away, have no family or friends here. Taxi would be about £300, train- 2 trains, 1 tube and a bus, coach- 2 coaches and bus plus 5.5 hour journey. What do I do?:(

Are you having your surgery on the NHS? If so, mention your worries to the hospital, or your GP. They may be able to order hospital transport for you x

I was told to speak to my hospital and they would send transport or pay costs for your travel. xxx

I'm sure you can only be offered hospital transport if you live within the PCT of the hospital you're attending. I have also been told this type of surgery is classed as elective therefore doesn't come under the usual rules. If anyone knows any different I would love to know as I'm currently facing either a train or lengthy taxi journey home myself after surgery.

I also know there are people travelling far further than I have to, and some even fly over from Ireland to attend a hospital here... all at their own expense.

just spoke to hospital, nothing they can do and wont let me leave and travel home on public transport

Daftmoo, this is very normal, as the effects of the surgery and anaesthetic can play havoc with you and some hospitals will not discharge you unless you can be supervised for 48 hours.

Can you not find a provider nearer? Or ask a round if anyone living near you could act as taxi by offering to help with petrol costs, as this will be cheaper than a taxi?

sounds like a mad idea, but put a advert in the paper explaining that you have to go to hospital and would be willing to pay for petrol, you just need the help of a good samaritan with a car. My friend did it when she needed to get to a funeral and it was surprising the amount of replies she had and she is now really good friends with the lady who drove her there. would be even better if you could get a friend to do it for you though. :)

My Hospital was over a Hundred miles away, and when I enquired about transport, they told me that they only provide local transport, so I had to get a friend to take me and to pick me up. :sigh:

OMG I must have been very lucky. In my car it takes me nearly 3hrs if there isn't any traffic to get to my hospital. Everytime they have either refunded me petrol or offered to send me transport. xxx

If anyone knows any different I would love to know as I'm currently facing either a train or lengthy taxi journey home myself after surgery.

My offer still stands Twigs, just make sure you give me 7-10 days notice if it's going to be a weekday.

Oh goodness...that's just crazy. I never realised that this was normal for people. I feel so lucky now that my hospital is only 4 stops on the tube and takes 10 minutes! It seems totally bizarre to me that they have to send people so far. I hope you work something out nearer the time.

I'm not surprised that they won't offer patient transport! I think if i was you i would consider making my own way there and then either paying for a taxi home or offering to pay someone to take you home.....

I guess the pct thinks we should be greatful for our surgery and everything that comes with it is down to us...

Twiggie, you are not still seriously considering trying to get home yourself on the tube, train, bus, etc surely?

Where are you hun?

Back