• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Travelling on a plane.....when?

beepbeepcat

last went on a plane many years ago 2001 I think, long hall. I am desperate to take my family on a plane however my weight has always been the issue. I've seen stories about people complaining about fat people and fat tax and then there is the embarrassment of fitting in the seat, the belt going round me and the table not able to come down. So I want your experiences and views on when is comfortable to travel to somewhere like Spain. I don't want my family to suffer embarrassed and I don't want the comments or looks:cry::cry::cry:

Honesty

I lived abroad for three years with a 2 plane journey every time I came home. And I travel quite a bit for work. Last time I was on a plane was during my LSD I think so I must have been around my heaviest (around 380lb). I've driven to Dublin since to avoid the stress. I've never actually had an issue BUT I bought my own seat extender so I wouldn't have to keep asking for one. I hated the anxiety of fitting in the seat. To be honest I enjoy planes, but I would always try and sneak on as early as possible so I could get myself sorted before the majority of people got on board. Every plane journey I felt anguish about fitting, and even when I flew long haul for work in business class I couldn't always get the lap tray to fit across my thighs so I would forego the meal.

However when I did have to ask for an extender the woman was very smiley about it.

Bottom line is I was fine at 380lb with an extender so you will be fine; you're infinitely smaller than I was!! It was painful with the arm rest down but you only need it down for take off and landing. I always have the window seat so I can squash myself into the side and hopefully spill over less, but actually one time they made a mistake and put me in the aisle and I found there was more room.

I'm hoping I won't need my extender when I fly in 2 weeks but taking it with just in case. Seat belt lengths vary per company. I have tried to find out the various lengths but they don't publish this info. It seems when a seat belt frays they cut the end off so nothing is standard.

I'm sure you'll be fine and in any case it's only a couple of hours :)

I will await your return from your mega trip to find out the pros and cons

I've been practicing at home with a tape measure to see if the seat belt will fit lol. I found an old post online with different seat belt lengths and 31" was the smallest on there. I know that's not accurate but I figure they can't be much shorter, right?!

I'll try and give a report when I'm out there. I'm flying also from Orlando to hq in the north of the US for a few days so I'll have two companies to report back on.

And also when I flew with Virgin for my 21st (I think I was about 23st) I just about got the seat belt closed on the way out but not on the way back. They didn't have extenders then so I just held it over me lol.

I only noticed the tray issue last year. So back when I was 21 it can't have been a problem

Go for it beep I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised. It's been six years since I flew ..I enjoy cruising too much ;).

Anyone else?

Two years ago I flew to Barcelona (easy jet ) with my daughter at Easter - I was 24 stone. I asked for an extension belt and put myself near the window so I didn't have to sit near a stranger. It was ok and I didn't feel judged! I did the same again with friends in the summer. I was due to go away again in the summer but I got the date for my seminar then and to be honest it was with another friend who I didn't feel totally comfortable with in explaining the shame of extender belts! Fast forward a year and I went to Palma last August I then weighed 17 stone 6 and I'm 5'4. I think everyone was sick of me saying "do you think the seat belt will fit!" But fit it did with a bit to spare!

Xx

I flew at my heaviest of around 260lbs back in the year 2000. I did a few trips to the States which were each around 8-10 hrs each way. I didn't need an extender belt, but I did have wedges in the sides of my legs which was really uncomfortable. I swell badly on planes (even now) and wear compression stockings. Long haul is tough, but a quick trip across to Spain will be a breeze I promise. Get on that plane and enjoy. X

I agree i went to ibiza at my highest weight 21 stone i flew with thompsons and i didnt need an extender so hopefully all will be well i havent had surgery and im just uner 18 stone and im due to go gran canaria in july im panking now as its with ryan air but im sure you will be fine youve lost loads.

I flew with Thomson at 23 stone and didn't need an extender BUT the food table wouldn't go down in front of me so I didn't eat on a 10 hour flight.

After that I always paid extra for premium economy seating and didn't have a problem although it was still a tight fit.

I flew with them again last year when I was 18 stone and I was fine. Even had room to move about to get comfy to sleep and could rest my drink on the arm :)

That was one of my goals. This year I want to go to a theme park and fit into rides.

Helen when you flew last year did you fly premium Eco then? I just doing want the embarrassment

Heaviest at nearly 21st and I did long haul from UK to Las Vegas last year with Thomas Cook. Didn't need the extender - was really chuffed. It's so embarrassing. Tray didn't go all the way down for me but enough that I could hold it and eat at the same time. Drinks were more difficult. Bottled water from the airport worked.

Flight back was in premium seats (they were cheap) so more room. I like to sit on an aisle as I like to be able to move, but here I was by window. Thomas cook premium and general were fine width wise.

The worst ones were the inter flights - United we used to fly from Vegas to SF and LA. No chance with the tray - and needed extender every time. Luckily these were only short flights.

Ellie

Thanks Ellie x

Helen when you flew last year did you fly premium Eco then? I just doing want the embarrassment

I did go premium economy but I would have fit in the normal seats (I gave it a go, lol. As we were on the plane first).

I only paid the extra cos I flew alone and I won't lie, I'm a bit of a snob lol xx

Hi beep, firstly congratulations on your weight loss I hope to join you soon on the losers bench.
I fly frequently my most recent trip was January this year long haul from Atlanta. Seats vary on each flight I try to avoid low cost airlines as I find they're very tight space wise. At 400lbs I always need a belt extender the flight attendants are very polite about it I normally let the check in staff know I need extra time to board so I am normally one of the first to board which gives me enough time to settle in.
Depending on which airline premium economy can be less comfortable as the arm rests don't raise so you're restricted.
If you're travelling with family it's much easier as you don't have to sit near someone you don't know.
Food trays are a whole new issue as they stop half way I find it easier to rest the tray on my lap with either a pillow or blank let as a prop drinks are much harder as I find myself holding them is much easier. I try to drink as little as possible on the flight as toilets on board are a nightmare I use the loo just before boarding and as soon as I get off the flight. Sorry if it's tmi lol
I hope this helps but as you're much smaller I'm sure you'll be fine if you have any questions let me know.

Thank you for your honesty I just want to be sure when I book to go away.

I am 5' 6" weighed well over 300lb at the time and I have flown by budget Ryanair and as soon as I got on the plane I asked the flight attendant for a belt extension to avoid being embarrassed later. The seats were very small but managed to squeeze in. I have had to do this trip three times the last one I nearly did not need the extension belt. Since then we have found that British Airways now fly to Billund and hopefully it should be better. Have another trip soon so decided to really buckle down with eating to avoid the squeeze - now I dont think you can get tighter than that on the plus side I have seen your stats and you are doing really well. I do remember years ago when I was around 240lb I went long haul on British Airways and the seat/seat belt was absolutely fine.

Hi, I know where you are coming from on this. I have hated flying (at times) for this very reason. I have previously had to ask for a seatbelt extender, sometimes the staff are discreet and other times they have tried to milk the maximum embarrassment out of it. I just try not to let it get to me.

I have just come back from a European holiday, flight of 3 hours 45 minutes and I didn't use a seat belt extender, but the seat belt had to go under my tummy and was quite tight and uncomfortable - but it did do up. If you are travelling with family it is not too bad as you can sit next to them, the arm doesn't need to go all the way down (mine just rested on my leg) and if you sit next to the window you get a bit of extra room. As for the table coming down, if it doesn't go down all the way I just don't use it and put things on my partners table. With short haul flights these days you don't usually have a full tray meal, so it doesn't really matter.

I agree with the toilets, I avoid them if at all possible. It isn't a problem to get in, but I have found before that I have had trouble bending down to pick up trousers as there just hasn't been enough room in between the toilet and the door! The exception to that has been on longhaul when there was one disabled toilet on board - that was the one that had the longest queue as there was enough room to move around in it!

I really wouldn't be put off going on holiday. Just be prepared to ask for a belt extender if needed, (or research which airline you are on and you can buy them online - there are different fittings so you do need to check which is the right one).

What I hate is flying on my own, I flew to America about 6 years ago now and I was so paranoid that I booked two seats - yep that's right, I paid for two seats - apparently if you book a 2nd seat you don't pay the tax so it was cheaper than booking premium economy to book two seats. It was comfortable but it caused no end of problems on the internal American flight as they couldn't understand why I had two boarding passes!

On the flight back to the UK, the seat configuration was 2 seats by the window, 4 in the middle and 2 by the window. I had prebooked the two seats by the window and was harassed constantly by people from the middle of the row of 4 seats wanting to move into one of my seats - even though I explained that I had paid for 2 seats. Even the air stewards asked me to allow someone to move into the 2nd seat to be near to their child & other half. I refused and it didn't go down well! They just didn't understand! What was meant to make things less stressful just made things worse!

These are some of the reasons I am looking into WLS. I just want to get on a flight, or walk into a restaurant without the stress of "is there a chair without arms that I can fit into" " will the seatbelt do up". Amongst other reasons of course.......

Back