• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Too fat to fly ?

Not flown in 5 years as I only just fastened seatbelt. Would need an extender now, car seatbelt only just fits! Going to go on holiday skinny the year after next!

I don't know if this will be any use to anyone maybe hopefully ease a few worrys.

I flown to florida twice on virgin airlines. 2009 i was 29 stone and last year i was 33 stone. Im 5ft 6 and carry all my weight pretty much on my belly so pretty much the bit i was going to be squeezing in there seats.

We had already been online on the earliest possible date we could to book the seats we would sit in. The seats we booked were with my back to the exit door. this made it possible for me to get out of my seat and stand behind it and lean on it when i needed to stretch my legs.

In our party there were six people. So my no2 son sat next to me by the wondow and my husband sat on the seat in front of mine. This ment i could lift the arm rest between me and our son for a little more room and i could use my husbands seat infront to help pull myself up out of the seat and not annoy a stranger in front.

It goes without saying that i wouldnt get the table down more than 3 or 4 inches but the 2 little head cushions they provided on top of where it did come down gave a lovley little table. I have a seat belt exstender from easyjet airlines which i used for the first trip but they did not allow it for the second. This was due to health and safety regualtions. I wasn't embarressed to ask for an exstention. Im fat there is no getting round that. i know it, they attendance staff know it and i can't go on a fab holiday without out it so whats to get embarressed over. I fit into the regular toilets even at my 33 stone but for comfort and a bit more room i simply quietly told the staff i need to use the bigger toilet as it wasnt entirely possible (white lie). Both the doors open for this toilet its to accomadate disability as well. Do not be shy to play the fat card all be it discreetly if your worried. 99% of staff are actually helpful and do not wish to appear ignorant and challenge your weight issues.

My no2 son is also autistic and gets dla. Now im not one to play on this and i dislike those who do but needs must and all that so i called the airline ore holiday and explained to them that no2 would be over excited at the flight and need to be settled asap (not a white lie but i hate playing this card). I also explained i was a very large woman and in order to get him in his seat settled i would be taking up the aisle and did not wish to hold up people as they wouldnt get passed. we were moved to be called on first with people with other disabilities first to get settled. No obvious fuss to other public getting on the plane just blended as one of the first lot called to be seated no extra attention drawn to us.

I know it sounds a lot but the flights were stress free, no complications, i was very comfortable in the cheap seats with the plans in place and the holiday was good. i do hope this eases other peoples worrys. As a lady of 33 stone at the time im more than happy to share any experiences or answer any questions about flying virgin or fat in florida if people want to ask them :)

On a better note im hoping that next time i fly now ive had the sleeve done i wont need the exstender or the little make shift pillow table.

Flew to Australia in July via Dubai. The flight attendants on Emirates were absolutely amazing. I knew that I'd need an extender so happily asked for one. On my last flight I got a little bit upset because I'd been put in a bulkhead seat, which as I'm sure you'll know dont have moving armrests so it was rather uncomfortable. The lovely flight attendant moved me to the only 2 remaining seats on the entire A380 flight, giving me more than enough room! Just ask and they'll more than accommodate :)

Back