• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Trouble taking forceval anyone??

I'm just taking supermarket own brands A-Z multivit, separate iron and calcium/Vit D tablets as my GP won't prescribe them for me (despite the hospital having written to him). Will I be ok on these?

I can't believe your gp won't prescribe them
For you!! You really do need to make sure you are taking the correct multi vits, as far as I know, as long as they are a-z they should be ok. My gp is absoloutley fantastic I must say so, it does help. I was taking sanatogen a-z which my consultant said was sufficient but he reccomended to my gp FORCEVAL .

I'm just taking supermarket own brands A-Z multivit, separate iron and calcium/Vit D tablets as my GP won't prescribe them for me (despite the hospital having written to him). Will I be ok on these?
Hi Novamay,
The multivits are fine, but I have checked and supermarket iron tablets aren't strong enough, although the calcium/vit d is if you're buying from Asda. They're the only ones I've found with high enough calcium and vit d concentrations. I only buy my multivits, but the rest should be on prescription - try another GP at the practice. If all else fails, ask the pharmacist for ferrous fumarate - they can sell these over the counter.

Tescos Multivit is nearly all 100% of daily needs, so am taking an extra B complex.

The iron tablets are 14mg 1 a day (Tescos make); is this not enough? Probably why I've not had any problems with constipation ....

The Tesco Calc/Vit D are 500ug 2-3 times a day

But I'm not sure which is higher mg or ug so working out if they contain enough is v confusing for this old brain of mine!

Am going to see GP next week as I have been very tired this last couple of weeks after shopping, housework etc - am suposed to go back to work after next week but not sure if I have the energy. Also getting dizzy spells when I stand up - but likely to be due to dehydration as I'm still having difficulty with drinking enough fluids during the day.

Mg is higher. Did your dietician recommend you take iron supplements? I have been told multivitamin & mineral tablet and vitamin D only.

For bypass I was recommended the sanatogen gold a-z. The asda has the same or higher amounts so I go with that. I get prescribed cacit-d3 which is a calcium and d3 supplement where the calcium is in citrate form - I take 2 sachets which is 1000mg of calcium and 880iU of vit d. I also take 2 ferrous fumarate on prescription which is 210mg of iron each. As you can see that's a lot more than the supermarket bits.

The asda tablets go over 100% on some of the values - I've attached the stats in the photo

Attachments

• image-3568128607.jpg
    image-3568128607.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 67
I have some days where it goes down fine and other days when it gets stuck, i think i have conqured it though, i drink a small sip of water to help it go down and dont take another sip straight after for at least 5mins...... And all is fine :)

Glad to hear it Butterfly.......I do think it's probably "the best" but for me, it was barely down 10 mins before the nausea kicked in. : (

I always take them out the packaging in the morning, and let them get too room temp and then they go soft, and are easier to take, I also find taking them with squash is easier than taking them with a warm/hot drink.

Hope this helps you.

My next repeat prescripton has been switched to soluble, so well let you guys know if they make any difference to my feeling sick after taking.

I have compared the stats on the two - Forceval is a stronger dose in some vitamins, but doesn't have a lot of the others, especially the trace minerals.

I don't have any issues physically getting them down guys, it's just 10-15 mins later when they disolve in my stomach. The soluable ones are just the same, only quicker......two big sips and I'm sick.

Two weeks into the soluable Forceval and still feeling nauseous after taking them, but not been sick so far.

Forceval gives me nausea and a serious stomach ache for a few hours when I take them whole, not cramping but a burning feeling. I now get a spoon of yoghurt and make a whole and snip the end off the Forceval and squeeze the red yuck into the middle cover it up and swallow. No problems since doing this

Back