• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Trying not to worry - weight loss plateau's

Perissa

Here I am 6 1/2 months post op and I have hit my first weight loss plateau. Now I know from reading lots of your weight loss plateau experiences that its not unusual and that I have been fairly lucky to get to 6 1/2 months before having my first one.

But when its you or me in this case it is nontheless worrying!! Especially when you follow all the rules about eating and drinking. Its disconcerting. I have asked myself 'is that it', 'has my pouch stretched' etc etc.

So I just wanted to say that it is perfectly OK to worry about weight loss plateau's! And that I won't be blase when I read about yours in future!

Well done for keeping positive perissa I am sure you will start losing again soon, its only a hitch

Jay xx

Hi hun. It is completely normal for you to come to a plateau at 6+ months. What you can do is take a look at what you're eating and see if you can't make a few changes in order to help you along and back to weight loss. You might want to have a look at your simple carb intake (white bread, rice, pasta, fruit juice). You can start there and replace them as much as possible with whole foods (orange instead of orange juice)and whole meal. I saw that you mentioned in another thread that you could eat 3 pieces of white toast. I imagine you know this because you have done that. It might be wise to reduce you volume of simple carbs at this stage, perhaps down to one slice of toast and make it whole grain instead. The simple carbs 'bulk out' meals and reduce how much protein you can get in. I know that many people beyond 6 months continue to lose weight by increasing their protein and decreasing their carbs.

Just my opinion, so you can consider it or not. Great going with the positive attitude, it will help you continue onto your goals!

Nic;)

I agree and support what PH has said, the thing is never to worry about it, its your bodies way of taking a break from weight lose, it could be your eating the right stuff and in a week or so your lose will kick back in.

I've been through a few plateau's recently, living in hotels through the week means my dieatry requirements tend to be limited, but it doesn't panic me any more really, as i know i can get back on track when i need to.

As Nic's said try increasing your protien a bit, top tip i use, if you have a plate of food in front of you and there's carbs on it, then seperate them and eat the protien items first, chances are the protien will fill you up and you wont want the carbs.
Another thing i do is to alter your exercise or activity level, this tricks the body into restarting your metabolism and you start losing again, but the important thing is not to panic and let it worry you ! which it sounds like its not ;)

Great advice from Nic and SS - if you are able could you do some exercise or if you are already exercising could you increase the amount slowly

You are doing exactly right by not worrying your body with kick in again soon and you will see weight loss again. Sending you hugs with fairy dust for your patience and sensible positive thinking x

Thanks guys ;)

My protein intake is fine as I have no problem eating it. Most days I have scrambled egg with beans or bacon for breakfast.

I don't eat crusts and as most of the bread is in the crusts it really isn't that much. I have this on a Saturday, on a Sunday I have eggy bread (crust removed!) and bacon. I am such a creature of habit!!

For some strange reason and I really can't explain it I don't get on with brown bread now. I used to eat it all the time but it tastes really salty to me now. I am literally gagging for a drink it is so salty.
I eat so little bread in general that the dietition said it wasn't a problem.

As for exercise I'm as active as I can be given my circumstances.

I'm sure this is just a stall in weight loss in the grand scheme of things. I'm still over 6 stone lighter than I was! :D

im a bander and iv just had my first one, 3 weeks not a change but ramped up the exercise and now its moving again i didnt let it worry me it happens now im back on the right track

Thanks guys ;)

My protein intake is fine as I have no problem eating it. Most days I have scrambled egg with beans or bacon for breakfast.

I don't eat crusts and as most of the bread is in the crusts it really isn't that much. I have this on a Saturday, on a Sunday I have eggy bread (crust removed!) and bacon. I am such a creature of habit!!

For some strange reason and I really can't explain it I don't get on with brown bread now. I used to eat it all the time but it tastes really salty to me now. I am literally gagging for a drink it is so salty.
I eat so little bread in general that the dietition said it wasn't a problem.

As for exercise I'm as active as I can be given my circumstances.

I'm sure this is just a stall in weight loss in the grand scheme of things. I'm still over 6 stone lighter than I was! :D

Actually i've just remembered somthing, you mentioned that your a creature of habbit and tend to eat the same things over and over and at the same time each week, I.E Sunday breakfast egg bread etc......... try changing your diet around, still stick to the high protien stuff and alter your exercise, but try eating different foods and adding in different thing, change shocks the body and eating the same things over and over is stability !
Sounds like your have your diet about right, so at the end of the day it might be a case fo just hanging on in there and as Serenity said it will eventually kick back in ;)

Back