• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

smoking...

will i be refused surgery if i smoke? im deperatlet trying to stop havent had one since 6pm last night as i had some sad news that a friend had died of a massive heartattack at the age of 43 he was a smoker..
im trying so hard to pack up but dosent help with my partner smoking in front of me any help or tips wud be great xx

noone mentioned smoking to me for my band surgery and i was NHS. Sorry to hear about your friend. I would love to give up but am waiting to tackle that one again when i've lost enough weight to feel ready to face the next challenge. if you want to go for it now, try your gp, most sugeries now have a smoking clinic and aids will be given on prescription.

im in the process of quitting the chemist in asda do the stop smoking 12 week course im on patches and the plastic fag as well, giving up is better and safer for when your vented during surgery and yes quitting is bloody hard.

I gave up my 30 a day habit 9 weeks ago (2 weeks pre op) was told by my surgeon i had to or may run the risk of difficulties with oxygen levels. I used the electric cigarette and found it great as it acts like a real cigarette but without the harmful effects. It was very hard and yes i still miss smoking as i did'nt want to give it up and only did cause i was told to. Good luck with giving it up and i'm so sorry to hear about your friend x

people have been known to be sent home on the day of there op, purely because the surgeon feels its not safe with your anesthetic ect. Ime sure that I read on here they got sent home and the surgeon would reconcider after 2 weeks. They can tell as well if you smoke via your blood tests.:eek: Gail.x P.S Ime a smoker but I gave up for my operation it was the least I could do this is for your benefit and not theres!! go for the patches off G.P and invest in a electronic ciggie I did but I am back smoking the odd 1 again now.

Last edited:
I was also told that if I smoked I need to quit 2 weeks before the op or sooner if I could so surgery would be safer.

I was also told that if my blood tests showed I was still smoking I would not be operated on.

But I know each hospital has it's own policies, so it's best to check with them.

I was told to stop and if I could'nt then to at least cut down. Your surgical team will tell you if you have to stop but in the long run it is safer for you to do so. i could'nt stop so just cut down and I had my last ciggie on the way to hospital the day before my op. Good luck in trying to quit. Some can do it and some find it too hard so you won't be on your own if you find it too difficultxxxx

I gave up using Champix from the docs - almost two years ago. I can't say that I wanted to but as I am nearing 40, it was time to sort out my health. They worked amazingly well, although they do not suit everyone, have a chat with your GP and see what they say. I am still cig free and love it!

Lots of luck!

Lx

Ive tried to quit aswell down to a sneaky 1/2 a day from 30 fags a day I am struggling though, where can I get this electronic ciggie please??

I just went cold turkey after being told either give up or no operation. I wasn't really as hard as I like to make out to others but I do still have wobble days although I can proudly say no ciggie has been near my mouth in twelve months now.

I was surprised to see so many smokers still having their operations though I must admit. And what is worse, all of them without exception seemed to recover quicker. I don't know whether this is because they wanted to get out for that ciggie or not..lol

Hi I think it is www.intellicig.comhttp://www.intellicig.comhttp://www.intellicig.com hope this helps It most definatly helped me I gave up on the 8th april, my op was the 10th july, but I have a crafty one now and again:p:p to quit aswell down to a sneaky 1/2 a day from 30 fags a day I am struggling though, where can I get this electronic ciggie please??[/QUOTE]

Hi I think it is www.intellicig.com hope this helps It most definatly helped me I gave up on the 8th april, my op was the 10th july, but I have a crafty one now and again:p:p to quit aswell down to a sneaky 1/2 a day from 30 fags a day I am struggling though, where can I get this electronic ciggie please??
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Gail I have just ordered one xxx

Hiya hun
I am a big smoker, and I was told by the surgeon to give up at least 2 weeks before. So I did, with gum, patches and an inhilator. Id love to say that after I came home from hospital I gave up, but I didnt, on the way back from hospital, I bought some an smoked them!
As gail said above its not unheard of to be sent hoe if you dont stop...See your GP for help! Even if you manage 2 weeks...its worth if for the surgery! xx

How does an electronic fag substitute work? How much is it. I'm smoking a lot more post op - I used to smoke 50g perweek (tobacco - I smoke Rollies) now it is 75 g. I want to give up but Hubby smokes a pipe and am worried I will start to hate it if I give up (pathetic I know). x

O.k in your pack what you order you will get 5 x tips 1 x charger which you charge up each night via port in P.C and 1 x pretend ciggie. You can buy extra tips or use a refill oil that you put 2 drops in the tip, they come in low, med, high tar. Basicly 1 x tip is equivilant to about 10 fags. the smoke comes out just like a normal ciggie(but realy its vapour) and the end also lights up when you inhale/take a puff you can also taste the unhalmful niccotine as well. You can get the whole package deal for about £23.00 but well worth it. I hope this helps Kind regards Gail.x
How does an electronic fag substitute work? How much is it. I'm smoking a lot more post op - I used to smoke 50g perweek (tobacco - I smoke Rollies) now it is 75 g. I want to give up but Hubby smokes a pipe and am worried I will start to hate it if I give up (pathetic I know). x

O.k in your pack what you order you will get 5 x tips 1 x charger which you charge up each night via port in P.C and 1 x pretend ciggie. You can buy extra tips or use a refill oil that you put 2 drops in the tip, they come in low, med, high tar. Basicly 1 x tip is equivilant to about 10 fags. the smoke comes out just like a normal ciggie(but realy its vapour) and the end also lights up when you inhale/take a puff you can also taste the unhalmful niccotine as well. You can get the whole package deal for about £23.00 but well worth it. I hope this helps Kind regards Gail.x

What the feck have I ordered then??? I spent £54.00!

Back