• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

smoking before and after bypass

corrine82

Hi all i am really trying to stop smoking i have cut down to 1- 2 a day but i am having hell did anyone else smoke before there op i will def give up as i really want this op does anyone know if i use the inhaler will it be ok ?

Thanks Corrine

Last edited:
i was banded but my op still took 2hrs lol and i smoked untill the day befor and was fine im also 24st and slightly asmatic so dont panick just cut down once your in hosp you wont be feeling much like it or at least i didnt one woman in when i was nipped out for one once she was walking well enough i now back to normal smoking i cant do food change and stopping in one go

hi there, i smoked about 25 aday for the op but quit 3 weeks before. I did have the odd one but nothing 1 week pre op.
Inhaler was ok and was told its fine to have up the op.
Started again on the way home from hospital which wasnt to clever.

I smoked before and after the op. Did me no harm ( apart from the usual deathly attributes it can of course bring anyway!!!) I did ask my surgeon and told him i know for a fact i couldn't stop so if i just cut down would that be ok so on the day i had 1 before and a few days before i cut down ......a bit ( i smoke 20 a day ) so had ten . Naughty i know, its not good before everyone starts to scream at me .........Its helps to give up of course and if your surgeon says nooooooo way !! ...follow his advice cus he knows u and your health. My doc was a bit more lenient but again ....i had a thorough health check before and was passed as fit as a fiddle and i went provate....never had high blood pressure or any illness of any kind apart from a kidney stone years ago. Maybe ask them there thoughts on it again....if your getting stressed etc only they can really put your mind at rest on the matter xx

Hi ya, I'm a smoker and I've got 5 weeks til Im banded.
I'm not giving up yet. I can't do both! I like a fag and I like roast dinners so if Im giving up the roasts then the fags can wait until I'm slimmer!

Good luck Honey!xxxx

i smoke and they say it stops you healing after a op, yet again ive got an infection, they reakon its part down to me smoking.

i smoked all the way up , and even sneaked out for one an hour before the op( said i needed to go out and get some fresh air !!), i smoked again about 10 hours post op and and now back to my 40 aday, i know its bad for you but its my choice and i love my ciggies.

Hiya
I smoke quite alot and went in to have my op o tuesday at 2.30 i must have smoked 20 cigs before i went in that day and my last one was 5 hours before i went to theatre. You should just make sure you use your stockings they give you for 6 weeks after the op and make sure you have your dvt injections for a week after.x

hi i smoke and i smoked 10mins b4 my op and 7 hours after my op lol, there was no way was i going all night with a tube stuck up my nose without a fag so i did the next best thing i got hubby to get a chair and put it by the window and hey presto i climbed on and hung out the god damn window like any sane person would do lol, min you i must have looked a right sight but i didnt care, xxx

Hi Corrine. Had a ciggie about an hour before I went down but it was only the second that day and after made sure I walked up the stairs and had a walk around. I had given up but no food or fags was too much. However, I had limited myself to a max of 5 per day and kept myself on the move as much as possible to keep my lungs clear-took lots of deep breaths so I knew I wouldn't be coughing. Loll

Thanks all i feel a lot better well 10 days left i am not having more than 3 a day that and the pre op diet is seriously depressing me but at least there will be light at the end of the tunnel and i am almost there

Thanks again for all the support you guys have offered i am so glad i found this site

Corrine xx

Hi corrine, i'm a smoker and smoked before and after. My consultant was very supportive and said that for me to think about stopping when i was going to be changing my eating habits so drastically would be unfair for me. He felt that i should continue smoking so that i didn't feel i was giving everything up at once.

I did find that straight after the op it did give me indigestion sometimes but no other problems x

Hi corrine, i'm a smoker and smoked before and after. My consultant was very supportive and said that for me to think about stopping when i was going to be changing my eating habits so drastically would be unfair for me. He felt that i should continue smoking so that i didn't feel i was giving everything up at once.

I did find that straight after the op it did give me indigestion sometimes but no other problems x

Thanks Tammy if i remember right you were under Mr Ammori is that correct ? At least i know he wont cancel my op !!

Thanks Corrine

Yep am in mr ammori's fan club. He was great and very understanding about my smoking and lifestyle changes my op alone would mean. he put no pressure on for me to stop and felt that smoking was another area of my life i could look to change later. You will be fine lots of us smoke and when stressed and anxious (like just before the op) they know you need to have that cig!!! take care xx

Hi I had stopped smoking for eight months before the op, 1 week before hand I had a panic over the op and started again:cry: stood out side the hospital three hours before my op and worked my way through a packet of ten!!! still smoke now but trying to give up.. again..........

I smoked prior to my op, managed to get down to 2-3 a day but when I saw my surgeon (3 weeks before op) he said unless I gave up 100% he would not do the op. He said he would know if I had because they did certain tests! I didn't smoke from that moment on - didn't want to take the risk - was very tough though with pre-op nerves and all.
Didn't bother after my op - was too sore to even consider it but after a few weeks when I started feeling back to normal I gave in and had one and hey presto, back to normal!:sigh:

Back