• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

unsure!!

lil-jill

hi everyone, I have had open heart surgery 13 months ago to remove a tumour from the inside of my heart. Thankfully the op went very well and all was good until 6 months ago when I was diagnosed with permanent heart failure. At the moment I am on a no salt diet and restricted fluid of 1.5litre in every 24 hours. 3 weeks ago my heart consultant suggested that I had a gastric band fitted as I am not losing any weight due to the fact i am no longer mobile and it is putting more strain on my heart. As of yet I haven't made any decisions whether to have it done or not, to be honest I am terrified of going on the operating table again. I have been looking at some posts on here and you all seem so friendly and supportive to each other........this site may have decided for me!
!!

Hi Jill. You've certainly been through the mill so far. Glad you've found the site useful so far.

I know surgery is never easy but, considering what you've bravely been through, a band would be a walk in the park!

Good luck whatever your decision is :)

Hi & welcome to the site x

If your heart consultant thinks that wls could assist you with becoming healthier it's probably a good idea to consider it.

WL Surgery isn't an easy option and still requires a lot of work on your behalf (more so with a band than a bypass).

We all have our own reasons for going ahead with surgery and I can honestly say that it was probably the best decision I've made in my life (wish I'd have done it years ago).

It's not something to be jumped into, make sure you do plenty of research and then decide if it's the right choice for you.

Everyone on here is really helpful and no questions are daft. We're all here to support one another x

you all make it sound so easy...which I'm sure it isnt. I am currently weighing in at 19 stone and only being 5 foot in height makes me too short for my weight and therefore a big strain on my already battered heart. have been told that a bypass carries less risk than a band and I dont know which would be better for me. just knowing that there are people going through the same and willing to chat is amazing. i never had that after my last op. I think I may need a little more info on the pre-op procedures and the op itself before a final decision is made, but so far I am swinging in the direction of having it done!!!

Hiya Jill, I'm not sure that a bypass is less risky than a band, seems a strange thing to say to you but it depends what whoever it was meant by risky. If they meant you might not lose as much with a band than with a bypass I could somewhat understand it. hmmm
Anyway, you do almost have to be as strict as you would be on a conventional "diet" with a band , also after you get good restriction you still have to make sure you don't eat slider/soft foods (usually things like chocolate / ice cream etc) that can ruin your weight loss efforts...with a bypass it seems you get more swift initial weight loss but then there are the lifetime committments to making sure you limit fatty sugary foods and get your vitamins in...any wl surgery has it's plus and minus points.
The wl surgeon you get to speak to will be considering your current health problems,as well as your eating habits etc to decide which weight loss surgery will be the best way forward for you as an individual.
Your case is a lot more complicated than most so while we can give you our views on what we have had done personally in our particular circumstances...we can't really advise you on what's right for you x I wish you lots of luck though. Hugs xxx

thank you Neen, what you say makes perfect sense as I already knew, my case is a little different to most. I am still waiting for a date to return to my heart consultant for a more detailed talk about the situation and will listen carefully to his recommendations.But getting an insight to what you have all been saying has helped me to agree to have the surgery after all. which one is best for me will decide on the consultants choice I think!! Thank you for your imput, it is greatly recieved. xx

Hi Jill,

I cannot give you any advice because I am pre op.

I would like to say that I am humbled by your post and feel that I should stop moaning.

Good luck with what you decide and your are on he right site for lots of help. xx

Thank you Neen and Mary for your replies. I shall indeed keep you posted and let you know what decisions have been made. I am a little confused to the pre-op diet as at the moment I am on a restricted fluid intake of maximum 1 and half litre every 24 hours, but I believe the pre-op diet is 3-4 litres milk daily.....mmmmmm!!!! Big chat needed with consultant me thinks lol xxx

Good luck lill-jill, as someone else said the band takes a lot more willpower and hard work. Let's face it if we had that we wouldn't be overweight now would we?

I wish you all the best with whichever surgery you choose and also with any follow on surgery for your naughty ticker...

Please don't be a stranger and keep us all updated on your progress xxx

Back