• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

update..a little bit dissapointed !

debbieb

i've been for my post op check today, i've lost 7kg......is it me expecting more ,or is that a normal loss ?..i was expecting a little bit more than that !..i had my bypass 5 weeks ago tomorrow, and as people will know , i am having trouble with food at the moment, and i am stuck on the pureed stage at the moment !... still waiting for my barium swallow thanks to a mix up at the hospital !...surgeon forgot to sign a form , and he's on annual leave till next week:(..but the dietician said that she would talk to one of the other surgeons and see if they would sign the form, or it's another couple of weeks of soups and yogurts for me.:sigh::sigh:

amost forgot to say on a plus note...since my first appointment and up to today, i have now lost the grand total of 63lbs.

Last edited:
I wouldn't stress too much about it at the moment. Your body will have gone into starvation mode and will be clinging on to every calorie that it can find. You will probably be retaining fluids as well.

As long as your medical team are aware and they are putting you forward for testing, try and go with the flow. Easier said than done I know!

Sometimes people need the bit where they joined the bowel to the stomach opening a bit more. They usually pop a tube down and inflate a small balloon and job done. Let's hope that's what the problem is.

What you might find useful to help get your protein in is a supplement drink mentioned on another thread. It's called Fortimel Regular. They come in 200ml bottles in packs of four and cost £10. The chemist can order them in for you. If you can get a dietician to give your GP the nod, they can prescribe them for you which will work out a little cheaper if paying in cash. Alternatively you can get a pre payment certificate x(I pay about £11 a month) and then you don't have to ay for any prescriptions.

Also when I looked at my weight loss, which you can see just below, it was a little slower in the first few weeks. So that bit is normal.

Sorry for the lengthy slightly garbled response.

I hope that some of what I said is useful and more importantly that you start to feel better soon.

Julie xx

Last edited:
I am week 9 post op - in the first 4 weeks i lost about the same as you - then stalled for 3 and a half very long weeks, but now it is moving again, and I still havent lost as much as you have so far - so I would say you are doing well - but I also understand how very frustrating and disheartening it is not to loose as much as others - drink more - up the protein if you can - thats what did it for me, after a lot of support from raynebubble - it will happen, and when it does - wham it will make you smile xx

Hi xx am having same issues at present but as peeps keep saying to me - We're all individuals and some lose quicker than others! Still frustrating though isnt it!! xx

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told if you weight comes off nice and steady not at a very fast pace,your skin will be much better for it and much less loose skin.

Most of us feel the saem, I am 7 months post op and panic on a daily basis when I see how much others are losing. I had complications after surgery so in 2 weeks lost 2 stone, but I would not recommend that to anyone!! I try to remember we all are different and in the long run will arrive at the same destination.

You have done great, and will continue to do so!

You are spot on!Tell us what has gone in 6 months time!

Thank you everyone x,
guess i am just feeling a little down, mr ahmed, my surgeon is on annual leave till monday, so i guess it will be at least another week till i get my barium swallow..soup is begining to to get a little boring !..i even felt sick after damned ready brek !!!

hope they get you sorted soon :) as everyone says try not to worry about the weight loss too much at the moment but 63lb is bloody good no matter whether before or after xx

Back