• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Update

A.Positive

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to post over the last few days but they just aren't appearing for some reason. So here I go again...

I gave my PCT a call and requested some information on the guidelines for WLS in North West London. They really didn't have the faintest clue-they couldn't even put me through to who dealt with the funding! I was told they would be in touch, in due course.:rolleyes:

I then decided to have a hunt around online and after quite some time, I was able to find just what I needed. It appears that I meet the criteria for WLS with a BMI of 44 (it does say 35 but am I right in assuming that anything above that also a "positive"?) and PCOS. There are of course other ailments that I have due to my weight- many of which I only realised after reading your many threads and doing more research. I suppose I can talk with my GP about these and take blood tests to rule out/confirm diabetes or cholesterol issues.

There is a electronic form that my GP must fill out, were your GP's aware of this form? I think it would be a good idea to print a copy of all the info I have found along, with links to the appropriate pages and so on.

Can anyone tell me about the weight management course they ask you to take part in? Is it similar to Weight Watchers/Slimming World? I will do whatever they say I must, in order to get this done.

My appointment is on Friday and I am very hopeful indeed now that I have all the relevant info!

Can anyone think of anything they think I need to mention. I really don't want to make my GP see how important this is to me as he will have to "fight my corner".

I cannot thank you enough for making me realise that there is no shame in asking for help xx

take everything you print out they will see you are serious and have looked into it, the weight management was through the dietician with me and had to go for 6 months had to have tried everything they gave me pils etc and even then i was turned down 3 times before finally accepting me for funding, whatever happens do not give up do what they ask if they want you to have sleep test do it, psychological tests etc you might think it's all delays but they need to be absolutely sure you are determined and willing to go through everything and will be best prepared for life after surgery :) good luck take care and keep us informed xx

Hello there :)

My BMI is 47.9 and I have a co-morbidity that is recognised by other PCTs but not my own. It was hard to get a referral via the GP as he is not pro-surgery. I have had to jump through a number of hoops over the years including: Orlistat, appetite supressants, Weight Watchers referral, hospital dietician for several months, CBT and now a weight management course (details of this are below - please have a look).

Oxfordshire Weight-loss Lifestyle Service

http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/PDF/weight_management_clinic.pdf

http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/pdf/OWLS%20Leafletv3.pdf

Most PCTs seem to have an obesity treatment "pathway" which is a flow chart showing the order of how you will be treated and on mine the weight management course is the final stage before you will be considered for surgery.

The weight management course in my area starts off as a 12 week (weekly) group meeting (90 minutes) with others in the same position. This then turns into a monthly masterclass (60 minutes) - so the whole course is for 12 months in total :/ A dietician and a psychologist lead our group and we cover all sorts of things and the idea is to educate and change behaviours by making small manageable changes. We also get weighed each time. A report gets sent to the GP periodically to inform of progress. If you have any questions, please ask :) x x

My PCT was Ok with the fact that I could produce evidence of weight loss using weight watchers twice for several months. Although each time I regained it. The NICE criteria are that if your BMI is over 40 then you don't actually need to have any weight related illnesses to qualify for Bariatric surgery.

The reason you've had such a run around finding out who in the PCT to talk to is that PCTs are being closed down as GPs are now in charge of commissioning through something called a CSU, so loads of staff have left and things are pretty chaotic

The NICE criteria are that if your BMI is over 40 then you don't actually need to have any weight related illnesses to qualify for Bariatric surgery.

I wish every PCT followed the NICE criteria! Salford is BMI of over 50 unless you have co-morbidities. It's definitely a postcode lottery unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Aposotive did you say north west London ? That's where I am and I'd suggest being referred to the uclh as that's where I went and I did not have to jump through any hoops! If you tell your gp that your life is becoming too difficult with the weight and any problems you have as a result then he should be able to write a good letter!

Gastric weight loss surgery procedures have now been made quiet affordable and within the reach of most of the seekers. The best thing is that now we could see a lot of healthy humans in our surrounding and people do not have to go on starvation for getting these procedures done.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that I think WLS procedures are very expensive! Had I longed for surgery I could never have afforded to pay privately.

I believe that this is the case with many members here - they need NHS funding because they just cannot raise £6,000 or £8,000 or £12,000. I have heard very good reports about WLS in Prague, where it is much cheaper, but some are understandably nervous about going abroad, for one reason or another.

I would say that the cost of WLS is a major obstacle to many who would love to have surgery!

Back