• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

upping cals

pandora

finding my way again !
At what stage have you been advised to up your calories ?
I am 9 weeks post op & have between 750 & 950 a day .
I don't count calories as such , more protein / sugar / fat , but as I log onto mfp it tells me my daily calorie intake .

I havent been told anything. Had my op January (bypass) but dont have my first follow up appointment until June!!. Like you I just concentrate on protien and reducing fat and sugar. Sorry cant be much more help x

What I have heard (vaguely and informally) is:

** first 6 months: around 800 - 900 cals per day
** after 6 months: you can consider raising to 1,200
** after 9 / 12 months: raise again to 1400/1500 for maintenance

This assumes that the majority of weight loss (say 60% - 70%) will have been achieved within the first 6 months, and the slightly higher 1,200 cals a day will still lead to weight loss, but provide more nutrition. (And hopefully at 6 months out the patient will be sufficiently lighter to be much more physically active and therefore likely to be burning more calories anyway.)

This is just vaguely what I have heard / what my impression is -- obviously it will depend slightly for some people on what their starting weight is. (If they were starting at over 30 or 40 stone then upping the calorie intake after 6 months might be too soon).

Or ...... if in doubt, ask your own team, Pandora, for their own official guidelines (!).

Back