• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Very happy after today's appointment

mr97

mr97

Just thought I'd start a diary to track my efforts towards and beyond (hopefully) WLS :coffee:

Today, I have just got back from hospital after handing back the equipment I'd worn to monitor my sleeping, last night. It wasn't too uncomfortable to wear and I managed to get off to sleep no problem.

The device I wore monitored my breathing and heart rate and once the info has been downloaded from the monitor, the data should indicate whether I have the condition sleep apnea. I will find out the results, I imagine, when I see my consultant on 18.9.12.

Since attending a seminar on 14.8.12 I have been sticking to a British Heart Foundation, healthy eating plan, given to me by one of the dieticians in attendance at the seminar. I have also started to exercise, which I find difficult due to knee pain and basically being so overweight but I'm sticking with it and it does seem to be getting easier.

I'll end this diary entry at this point as some bleeping from my microwave indicates that my homemade leek & potato soup is ready for my attention :eat:

I've had a few episodes of 'head hunger' which is really troublesome. The only way I know it's head hunger and not real hunger is because usually I've just eaten and just want to eat more. I get it bad when I'm angry or upset. It's weird how I can feel so hungry for food to soothe a problem, yet when I get up the next day I have no appetite and have to really push myself to have breakfast. Just goes to show how cunning mental hunger can be. ...Why can't I be one of those people that lose their appetite whenever they're stressed or get depressed!
Glad that I'm eating breakfasts and lunch again though, but I will have to watch my underlining desire to 'stock pile'.

I'm so glad that the offer of help - WLS - for my condition has become available as I'd completely wrote myself off as hopeless & doomed. Feeling quite positive today.

Head hunger is something to contend with post-op as well. Unfortunately, there's no operation available to fix this....
The good thing is that you're aware of your triggers, so you could maybe learn to do something else (easy to say, I know)
What op are you having? And where?

hi mr97 know how you feel. my big worry is head hunger, my only comfort is that hopefully when i have the op i physically will not be able to eat too much. i am the same if i get angry upset or stressed i reach straight way for food, also if i want to celebrate etc etc. what op are you having hune, and where? hope all goes well for you. keep us posted on your progress!

ceejay & gonnabethinner - I'm hoping to get the gastric sleeve done at Darlington Memorial Hospital. I see my consultant Mr Samier on the 18th Sept

Thanks guys
-

Managed to push myself to do a 45min cardio workout. I didn't want to as my knees & hips felt sore after a walk yesterday. The session seems to of loosened up my joints as I feel quite relaxed with less aches n pains than I had before I started. I love that endorphin after glow feeling after aerobic exercise.
Now time to prepare some veg to make Leek n potato soup - with extra pepper - Love it!

That's really good, and wish I cold muster up the energy to do aerobics. Just be careful Hun, don't push yourself too hard as you'll do yourself a mischief. After the endorphin afterglow wears off comes the aches and pains. Leek and potato soup sounds delicious, do you make your own?
Xxx

It's really low impact aerobic exercise that I do, mainly power walking on the spot. I wear supportive footwear which helps with cushioning to try & spare my joints too much of a pounding. Being such an all or nothing type of person, I tend to over do it or do nothing at all.
Yes, I make my own soup. I've been making a lot of late as it's inexpensive,very healthy and most important of all, tastes great!
Looks like you are doing great with your WLS I hope I can follow your example.

Aawwww thanks Hun, I am getting there the last few days have been a mare for me. Have had feelings of frustration and doubt and even managed to convince myself that they didn't actually do the surgery, as I've had absolutely no symptoms or restrictions. However, today I have really reflected on my loss and have lost almost 2 stone in less than 6 weeks post op, so I
Must be doing something right. You're doing really well pre-op. it's good practice for when you finally have your procedure.
Xx

Mr97....well done you, it sounds as though you are getting your head in the right frame of mind for success, keep it up as I and I am sure many others on her are looking forward to hearing about your weight loss adventure!!!! x

Yours too lovely.
Xx

leek and pot my personal fav mmm. I am waiting to have a sleeve done too. bet you cant wait, with a hint of anxiety.any idea when you will be done do you know how long the waiting list is? must say am impressed with the cardio workout. let us know how you get on with consultant hune.

gonnabethinner - I'm nervous and excited about getting sleeved too. I haven't got a date yet. I've attended a seminar early August; had my sleep monitored via a device I had to take home and wear whilst I slept. I imagine I will get the results of the sleep study from my consultant, when I see him next on 18th Sept. Having read many posts re. other people's journey to WLS I'm guessing that I'll need to see the psychologist & dietician prior to seeing my consultant again for an actual op date. At the seminar, the consultant told us all to expect a waiting time of 4 to 6 months. ...I hoping it's 4 to 6 months starting from the seminar!
How far into the process are you?

Hi to a pre op sleever. I had mine on 25 Feb just over 6 months ago & love my sleeve. My op was plain sailing but I had a few problems post op nothing serious & was taken good care of. I love excersising now as I can. Could hardly walk pre op due to chronic sciatica & excess weight. I have lost almost 8 stones since op & now even running! It has revolutionised my life. Good luck with your op.

Thank you Bellydance57, I really hope to following in your footsteps. It's so encouraging to learn that you are now running! Wow, that's a skinny person's activity. lol
The fact that it has 'revolutionized' your life is so exciting. I have read so much info and so many posts about how people found WLS not only helped them lose weight but gave them a tool to help keep it off.

That's the real challenge going forward. Keeping it off! Good luck.

Bit disheartened today. My Hips and knees are playing-up so I'm going to have to change my exercise routine to something more joint friendly. I'm getting annoyed with myself as I tend to get a little OCD about exercising and healthy eating. It's times like this that I allow myself to get so down on myself that I start convincing myself that nothing good ever happens for me... Not long afterwards I'm searching for takeaway menus.
Not today though. I don't want to mess-up my chance of a new start.

Come on mr97, you do not need the takeaway menus, and you don't need to get down on yourself for not being able to exercise for a couple of days. You've done fantastically well so far and you just need to tell yourself that you are worth it, and you can do this and soon you will be on the next part of your journey to the new you. Could you not do more supportive gentle exercise like swimming. I know it's daunting to go to a public pool when you're overweight, trust me I know the issues with people staring, but I go really early in the morning when it's less busy. No one is judgemental, and I ave actually made some friends there.

Thanks Sarahj2710, I'm feeling positive again. I have some resistance bands so I did get a workout in the end. With being basically house bound for years and rarely walking more than 8ft I'm being far too ambitious; always trying to run before I can even walk. My healthy eating is going well and I'm 100% more active than I was a month ago.

Back