• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Visitors?

Hi
I'm in Spire Hospital in Manchester from 20th to 22nd June getting my bypass!

I won't get any visitors because I live 5 hours away in Scotland. So I wondered if any one on here was in at the same time and would like a good old gossip??

My hubby is being ordered to stay home, look after the kids and let me get on with it! LOL! I cope much better on my own, especially when I don't have to worry how HE is coping!

Does that make sense???

I had my surgery a couple of weeks ago and spent 3 days in hospital on my own without any visitors. The time passes quickly and you'll no doubt spend time napping during the day so it's not too bad. You'll be back home in no time at all. I also took my laptop in with me to keep me occupied.

Good luck with your surgery :)

Ohhh, laptop is a great idea! I can come on here and catch up! LOL!

I thought that computers would be banned like mobiles!

Is there Wifi, do you know?

Thanks

After my op I was just sleeping a lot and watching TV..I took my laptop as well and it was great to see my kids and partner on webcam and say goodnight etc (I went in the night before)
Can't comment on wifi for your hospital but I would have thought so in this day and age, most places have it??
Take something easy to hold / use propped up in bed as well, in case you feel a bit groggy for a while after.

Unfortunately there was no WiFi at the hospital I was in so I used my dongle. In fact there wasn't even the usual overbed TV screens which I was quite surprised at as I thought all hospitals had them these days. My local hospital has had them for over 10yrs!!

It might be an idea to call them and ask what facilities are available so you're prepared. In hindsight I wish I had done now.

Yes, think I will give them a ring, I'd hate to trail my laptop there and back for nothing!

Sorry but no idea what a dongle is, but I'm glad it helped you

hey hun i had my op at the spire manchester 3rd dec 09 and i had my mobile on at all times and they were fine, didnt say anything to me about it, i also took my laptop and they were fine with my bf pluggin it in for it to charge while i was in thearte and he was watchin movies, not sure if they have wifi as i had a dongle, but just give them a call, the staff there are lovely and so so friendly, always comin in to check on u at night and they love a good gossip themselves, i was only in one night so spent most my time sleepin and on my ds. xx

Hi Claudia, thats really useful to know!
Nice to be 'friends'!

You have done sooooo well, you must be thrilled to bits!

Hi Jacquie,

You will be fine by yourself and enjoy the peace and quiet. I found that I wondered about chatting to others that had their ops.

There is wifi in the hospital for patients so you can surf to your hearts content. Its not like a normal hospital environment, its very relaxed and friendly. Take lots of mags/books to read, there is your own telly as well. I really couldn't fault the spire.

Good luck doing your pre-op, it will fly by and next Sunday will be here in no time.
x

Hello there

A dongle is a usb key that plugs into a usb port on your computer that allows you to access the internet anywhere and anytime if the place your in has not got wifi , my friend has one and all she has to do was plug it in and didnt even need any software for it and it enabled her to use the internet whilst she had her stay in hospital. Should you decide to get one shop around for a reasonable price or via ebay etc as some places do charge quite a lot more then others, HTH

All the best - MeJulie x x

Hi Jacquie,

If I lived closer I'd come & see you....I luuuuurve a good gossip!!!!! That said, everyone has given very sound advice, you'll probably be out of it for the first day & sleepy for the rest of the time...but if you feel up to it, you can go on your laptop & fill us in on all the gory details, lol! I am sure it will all go fabulously & you'll probably be glad of the peace & quiet xxx

Hi!
That would be really nice! Think my hubby has heard enough of talking bypasses all the time already!! LOL! Dont think he really GETS it!
We could meet up somewhere between the three us!
It would be great actually cos I dont know anyone who has already had it done!
Give me a few weeks after the op though, so that I can keep something down! LOL!

thanks huni, the spire is a lovely hospital, the only thing is the day after they gave me, a cup of tea, huge bowl of jelly and some chicken stock soup, i just looked at them and went u havin a laugh lol, they sed long as i have something they will let me go, stay clear of the soup yucky lol, i manage 1 spoonfull of jelly and a sip of tea, xx

I asked and Ime sure this is what they said. Its probably me got it wrong but I think even £150 is pretty bad Lol

We were told £150 for a seperate room too, apparently it's because they effectively give you a hospital bed. Mr.Porpo insisted on staying with me though and slept in the chair/on the floor in my room so no charge... It was very sweet but he wouldnt go home so the nursing staff got him a blanket and some pillows.

Back