• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamins

MrsN

What vitamins did you all take after surgery (sleeve for me).
How do you get them down during the liquid stage?

Normal sanatogen a-z for me with my bypass - wasn't easy but was taking them after about 4 days I think! I queried if we should have liquid vitamins and my surgeon said no, it would be fine! However, do check with your team to make sure.

Oh I had calceos calcium/vit d chewable as well.

What vitamins did you all take after surgery (sleeve for me).
How do you get them down during the liquid stage?
Hi, I've just had my sleeve operation on 18/10/16, I went to my GP and they prescribed me everything either in soluble and liquid form. I have been given multivitamins, calcichew, omeprazole, paracetamol and tramadol, but I also got some when I was discharged home from the hospital.

Hi, I've just had my sleeve operation on 18/10/16, I went to my GP and they prescribed me everything either in soluble and liquid form. I have been given multivitamins, calcichew, omeprazole, paracetamol and tramadol, but I also got some when I was discharged home from the hospital.

That's really helpful. Can I ask if you got these in advance from the GP?

Hi MrsN, I just had my pre op yesterday and the nurse gave me a letter for my GP and a list of suppliments that they need to prescribe which i was told to get filled prior to my op so that they are ready for when i come home from the hospital. Hope this helps

I had a bypass and had to buy my own multi vitamins and have been getting Centrum advance chewable. I was also prescribed calcium and iron supplements from the doctors. As well as needing a B12 injection every three months.

I didn't have a liquid phase, just went straight onto puree and managed them all fine.

I was advised with the sleeve not to take pills for first four weeks as there is a risk they can catch on the staples.

I'm bypassed. Dieitian wrote to gp post surgery with a list. I was discharged with codeine, paracetamol and omeprazole.

I take:

Forceval
Ferrous sulphate
folic acid
calcichew

I take two centrum advance a to z, as advised by my team, from the day after my sleeve op. Also, as prescribed after my bloods were checked, a vitamin d with calcium. All of them are huge but I manage to get them down, dont want to develop any issues after all

I was advised with the sleeve not to take pills for first four weeks as there is a risk they can catch on the staples.
Yes I was told this too, not to start vitamin tabs till on solids week 5. I have read about a capsule getting caught on a staple and caused an infection. Can't remember if was here though?

I started on centrum chewable and a few weeks ago got forceval on prescription. For some reason I just can't manage them, tried with water as directed they just make me feel sick. So tried with food and still not great. Just realised I been really inconsistant with taking them as so horrid - so it's really important to find out exactly what you need in your vits and find some you can manage in either liquid, chewable or tablets...whatever suits you best!

I started on centrum chewable and a few weeks ago got forceval on prescription. For some reason I just can't manage them, tried with water as directed they just make me feel sick. So tried with food and still not great. Just realised I been really inconsistant with taking them as so horrid - so it's really important to find out exactly what you need in your vits and find some you can manage in either liquid, chewable or tablets...whatever suits you best!
Soluble Forceval makes me feel sick, especially when i realised i had to take it an hour after food! Have just ordered a prescription for capsules and am going to try them.

In the meantime i am taking Seven Seas A-Z plus some extra minerals as dietitian says they do not contain as much mineral content as Forceval. She did say that Sanotogen A-Z is ok, but am having trouble getting that locally. Once my stock of Seven Seas that I bought post op, and my Bassetts chewables have gone, if the Forceval doesn't work I will order the Sanatogen A-Z online. Would prefer to get vits on presciption though long term.

I am seeing dietitian next Wed and I am going to ask her for a list of what i should be having. Also will be having my vitamin/mineral/iron levels checked early next month so that will give my a better picture of what is working.

I find the capsules of forceval ok, they're huge but fine. (I'm bypassed). The instructions do say to take an hour after food. I usually take mine when I get to work.

I find the capsules of forceval ok, they're huge but fine. (I'm bypassed). The instructions do say to take an hour after food. I usually take mine when I get to work.
I got the pharmacist to show them to me before I asked for them. Remind me of very large licorice allsorts!

My GP still hasn't sorted my prescription out despite being given the letter before my op. I've been taking some chewable ones in the mean time but hope the forceval soluble will be sorted today.

Back