• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vomiting post surgery

Jrichard

Hi all,

Strange question guys.

I am 2 years post op now and I have never managed to vomit. I've had problems with gallstones, no vomiting. Then today I think I found out why I don't vomit.

I felt really nauseous and and needed to vomit. After nearly 10 minutes of heaving I brought up watery fluid and managed to burst blood vessels all around my eyes and cheeks.

Has anyone else had such difficulty?

I don't think it's actually possible for me to vomit. I'm not sure why.

Julie x

On the rare occasions I've been or felt dick or needed to fight to bring up stick food it's been more an impression of a rabid dog lots of bubbles & fluid but no real vomit as we knew it in the past. From what I understand its normal unless we are sick before our pouches empty that's all we will get.

Thank u for your reply. :) My face looks like I've gone a few rounds with a boxer. I just wanted to make sure it was normal.

The broken blood vessels aren't good sounds as if you were straining to hard. It's hard to be sick post bypass we no longer have the muscle power behind the rejection of food we had in the past I find a mix between a retch & a cough help but forcing yourself to that point doesn't sound so good. Take care. I'd get things checked by nurse or gp to be sure.
On the whole rabid dog vomit is the norm for me.

Hi it could be to do with your gallstones if you still have them. When i had them i felt sick all the time and when i was heaving all that come up was bile. Hope this helps x

I found that 2 years after my surgery i was still vomiting....even now sometimes i still do vomit and it has been nearly 4 years.... Even thought my sleeve surgery has failed and i have regained the weight... i still have a bit of restriction and sometimes still do vomit....x

Do you have any other symptoms associated with gallstones such as biliary colic? It is still possible to get gallstones many years after gallbladder removal, though not all doctors seem to know this so it must be quite rare.

Never heard of them after removal sorry. I had symptoms like i was very yellow all over especially my eyes and everytime i ate i felt sick and the pain. I was very yellow because myn had escaped my gallblader and had got stuck and blocked my bile duct. Hope this helps x

I found that 2 years after my surgery i was still vomiting....even now sometimes i still do vomit and it has been nearly 4 years.... Even thought my sleeve surgery has failed and i have regained the weight... i still have a bit of restriction and sometimes still do vomit....x

Why did ure surgery fail? If you don't mind me asking? x

Hiya,

I can't be sick either, I remember my surgeon telling me that, post op, bypassers can't be sick. Think it's something to do with the muscles that make us vomit are in the lower portion of the stomach and as that is redundant we lose our ability to vomit. You still get the mechanics & heaving but nothing actually comes out :(
I had gallstones about 2 weeks post op & was admitted to a&e as they thought it was post op complications... this was my 1st experience of not being able to vomit... it was v scary!!! I've also had a couple of bouts of gastro & I got the frothy stuff which is basically spit as far as I can tell!
X

Hi all, sorry for the late reply.

I developed gallstones after my RNY and had my gall bladder removed exactly one year post op. I can count on one hand how often I have 'successfully' managed to vomit. I say it with inverted commas as it is just frothy saliva type fluid. I wonder if my pouch sits a bit higher than some post RNY'ers so the muscle contractions to aid vomiting are futile, hence the excessive burst blood vessels on my face.

I'm not sure if being unable to vomit is a good thing or a bad thing. It is slightly intriguing though :/

Hi all, sorry for the late reply.

I developed gallstones after my RNY and had my gall bladder removed exactly one year post op. I can count on one hand how often I have 'successfully' managed to vomit. I say it with inverted commas as it is just frothy saliva type fluid. I wonder if my pouch sits a bit higher than some post RNY'ers so the muscle contractions to aid vomiting are futile, hence the excessive burst blood vessels on my face.

I'm not sure if being unable to vomit is a good thing or a bad thing. It is slightly intriguing though :/

I'm 3 years post op...I get the frothy if I've got something stuck but if I'm really sickly I do vomit.
The thing I've noticed now if I do vomit I'm really sore afterwards.

Back