• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Voyeurism or research?

Brunetteandred

Officially a loser
Me and my OH had a 'frank and fair exchange' of views last night over my 'current obsession' with 'programmes about fat people' (qv.) and WLS surgery in particular.

Firstly, my OH is a large gentleman himself, so wasn't having a go about obese people per se.

He says he is fed up of watching programmes about people who are all 'woe is me' and says that I have developed an obsession bordering voyeurism. He loves to watch air crash investigation programmes by the way.

I was appalled at the suggestion of voyeurism! I said I thought he was in denial about his weight problem and was doing an ostrich! I admit I do watch a lot more about WLS, but I am interested in what happens and see it as kind of research.

What do you think?

We did end the discussion on a lighter note; I said he's only moaning because it means he has had to relinquish control of the Sky handset. :8855:

hmm.. this is an interesting one, i also watch alot of tv programmes like this, simply because im interested in how others get on in there weight loss journeys and theres some thing in common with me.

oh by the way extreme slimmers is on itv1 tonight at 9pm followed by a programme on real sky lives at 10pm, following peoples weight loss struggles, wls & journeys.

ill be watching them lol and the sky remote will be in my palm tonight !:8855:

I think its understandable we will want to watch these programmes, if you break out in a sweat when you miss one then I would start to worry until then enjoy, I love watching programmes on people moving houses as well as I like to have a nose around lol...xx

I just a nosey so and so so like watching any programme about other people and what they get up to, but only ordinary people like me NOT CELEBS cause they make me mad. But I can understand the surgery things caus ewhilst I was thinking about it and having a battle with my gps I would watch them all to justify the fact that I was even contemplating surgery or bothering my gp about it.

Well I think that when you watch programmes like that it can be rather difficult, I must say I like to see programmes where people embrace their size and just don’t give a care what others think.
I have tried that myself but unfortunately I am too much of a “sponge” and just seem to soak in all the nasty jokes and comments, so I have never really been confident with myself.

I think the programmes that show people who are so overweight and are well like a few of you have said “oh woe is me” kind of attitude, well I don’t tend to really pay that much attention.

I think if you are overweight and are on programmes such as this, you should at least try to make an effort, or even look as though you are.

I think I remember one programme when a man went into hospital because he was so severely overweight, and the doctors monitored his food and was gradually cutting things down so he could lose weight a little slower but yet healthier than others.

But then you see his wife bringing in bags of burgers and fries, and well I think you can see his problem there really. His wife cant say no, no matter if she is helping her husband kill himself.

The only positive thing I can really think of with these programmes is, hopefully people will look at them and think…Oh my god!! I am doing that…

(sorry I did kind of ramble on a bit then)

Thanks

Rachael
xxx

I watch a lot of reality tv, and am currently watching extreme slimmers cos it's relevant to me at the mo;)I don't see it as voyeurism at all:D

my other half has never had weight issues. he fully understood why i needed the surgery and supported my views. he too found he whole watching TV programmes about WLS confusing he felt that i was going to stress myself out further. i on the other hand found them informative and helpful in my journey!

he is now as equally addicted to them!!!

Hiya Red, I'm the same, I was when I was pregnant too. I was always watching the babies and giving birth programmes. I think it's because this is our main focus we want to learn all about it and you just kinda do get obsessed with it. Men are different to us in anycase. My husband is sooo laid back and just lets me get on with it, cuz he knows what i'm like......A woman on a mission! lol

I don't hink it is an obsession. I think there is so little information out there, still, that we grasp/watch/read/join whatever we can related to surgery (1) to be prepared & (2) to be as prepared as we can. I've never thought of it as voyeurism

... I like to see programmes where people embrace their size and just don’t give a care what others think ...

I was one such person, but literally HAD to have the op for health reasons, hence being referred (it really didn't occur to me to ask for the op myself!)
It IS a cruel unjust world out there &, already, I notice the difference in reactions from others. It's sad.

...extreme slimmers is on itv1 tonight at 9pm followed by a programme on real sky lives at 10pm, following peoples weight loss struggles, wls & journeys..

I was very impressed by the Extreme Slimmers programme but only managed 10 mins of the Sky One programme. I have nothing against Anne Diamond at all but just how patronising & annoying was she?!?!? Aaargh! :mad: (Don't jump on me - just my personal opinion!!)

I was very impressed by the Extreme Slimmers programme but only managed 10 mins of the Sky One programme. I have nothing against Anne Diamond at all but just how patronising & annoying was she?!?!? Aaargh! :mad: (Don't jump on me - just my personal opinion!!)

Haven't watched it yet, but I can't abide Anne Diamond.

Back